Rc's Bahama Buzz

retiredracers

I hope it's okay that I post another thread here. I wanted to just say a little something about Buzz and his life and not just his disease and death.

Buzz was our second greyhound and our first foster (we had adopted our first greyhound a few months earlier). We picked him up on a Saturday evening in March 1999 after a 15+ hour ride in a hauler from Florida (he came from Dennis & Claire at Melbourne). He didn't like traveling and stood the entire journey and promptly collapsed on the ground. He was looked at by a nearby vet who said he was just exhausted, gave him some SQ fluids and sent him home with the foster coordinator. She called me to tell me what was going on and I told her that I could handle it. I picked him up a couple of hours later at her house. I walked in her door and there Buzz was laying on a dog bed about 8 feet from the door. He still wasn't able to walk but when I got close, he raised his head and gave me the sweetest little butterfly kisses. I think I fell in love immediately. I took him and he spent the next 24 hours just laying on a dog bed moving just enough to give us kisses and to eat. He was the easiest dog to cat test because as he laid around for that first day, the cats walked around the room and he got used to them. Never bothered them at all once he was back on his feet.

Greg and I resisted his sweet face, Dutch Bahama eyes and kisses for about 3 weeks... until we heard that they would be doing a home visit for his possible forever home!!! We looked at each other and we knew that we didn't want him to leave. I immediately called and left a message asking if Buzz could stay with us forever instead. When we got the okay, we were sooooo happy.

Buzz was a greyt second greyhound. Flake, our first and prima dona, was very shy and not sure of things until Buzz came along. He helped her to see that people weren't so scary and that fun things could happen if you just let them.

He hated being outside in the summer... too hot and too many bugs! He was scared of the flying buzzing insects and would run for the door if they flew around him.

He loved Wiggly Giggly balls (the only toy he EVER played with) and the squawkers you purchase from the NGA drove him absolutely mad. He wanted to destroy it.

He gave the best kisses, light and airy, just like a butterfly fluttering by (I think I already mentioned them but they were worth mentioning again).

He hated car rides but loved getting to where we were going. He would pant and stand an entire trip (sometimes for hours as noted by his trip from FL to VA) and could never just relax.

He had a real issue with nail trimming and it was always a battle to cut his nails. And he had some thunderstorm phobia but once we discovered Rescue Remedy, t-storms weren't a problem at all. It was actually quite cute what he would do... a storm would be coming and he would start to pace and look anxious, I would realize what was happening, go get his bottle of RR and he would come running over to get his "fix". Almost immediately, he would lay down and go to sleep. I always told him that it didn't work that quickly but, hey, it made him happy and calm so I guess it didn't matter.

Buzz was a charmer and we are really going to miss him. His food dish stand looked so empty last night and I almost asked where his bowl was.

We love you, Buzzer boy. We miss you and we're sorry we couldn't stop the pain. Perhaps we'll meet again someday. In the meantime, give Crooke my love and remember that you will be in our hearts forever.

Our last photo

BuzzJuly2007.jpg

Being cool on the beach at Dewey

BuzzSunglassescloseup.jpg

Cooling down in a stream

Water_Buzz.jpg

His big dark eyes

58072917.jpg

On a car ride to PA last Xmas... panting but tolerating Elphie snoozing against him

Xmas2006ElphieBuzzvan2.jpg

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I am so sorry for your loss. Run free and fast at the Bridge sweetheart...no more pain...no more suffering at the Bridge. Please send your family beautiful Rainbows until you meet again. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so sorry for your loss. May there be many gentle butterflies at the bridge for Buzz. f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Snowy8

Snowy & I send condolences for her 1/2 brother...and to you...I will keep you in my prayers for you to have strength thru this difficult time.

Hilda & Rc's Snowy

:f_red:brokenheart:gh_lay:brokenheart:f_red

Edited by Snowy8

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing the story of how Buzz joined your family and for letting us have a glimpse of his charming personality and his beauty of body and soul.

:f_red

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

What a handsome boy!!! I hope he soon sends you a sign that he is ok. I also hope that it is a REALLY REALLY good sign.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon