Does Pee Always Smell?

Tuffy have a new bed (costco one) with a type of suede like fabric.

Lately I notice wet spots on it... sometime large spots... but it does not smell anything... :unsure

could it be drool (Tufy does lick a lot sleeping...)???

or pee?

:unsure

anyone have this too?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

They can create a wet spot from licking. Perhaps, try blotting the spot wit a tissue to see if there ss there any color to it.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest Jordan7

I had a similar thing last week - Trev sleeps on a duvet on our bedroom floor and when I came home from work there was a small wet spot on the carpet and a bit on Iain's shoes! I'm convinced it wasn't pee as (like your situation) it didn't smell or seem to be coloured. I ended up deciding that it must have been drool from a chew toy or something... at least I hope it was... I didn't tell Iain it had been on his shoes! :L

You would smell something. It's likely from her licking herself (or a kong, etc). I wouldn't worry unless you start to notice other symptoms of a UTI.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Pee usually leaves a smell...though not when very fresh....drool tends to feel slimy to the touch....and doesn't dry out as quickly as pee ;)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

You would smell something. It's likely from her licking herself (or a kong, etc). I wouldn't worry unless you start to notice other symptoms of a UTI.

and witch symptoms should I be looking for?

I observe him ( :lol )peeing this morning and it seems ok.. yellow... :unsure no greenish secretion on his woo-woo either.. :blush

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

My Marla is a compulsive bed-licker. For her, it seems very much like the comfort kids get from sucking their thumb. She goes almost into a trance-like state when she's licking: eyes half-lidded, lickalickalicka... She'll do it for stretches of ten minutes or so, leaving a large wet spot on her bed. It's harmless, just a little strange. :lol

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

My Marla is a compulsive bed-licker. For her, it seems very much like the comfort kids get from sucking their thumb. She goes almost into a trance-like state when she's licking: eyes half-lidded, lickalickalicka... She'll do it for stretches of ten minutes or so, leaving a large wet spot on her bed. It's harmless, just a little strange. :lol

Strangeness is part of the charm of greyhounds...

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest greytdogs

I would say it's drool, my guy leaves huge wet spots on everything he sleeps on. At first I was concerned too, but quickly came to the realization I have a first class drooler.

Guest Greensleeves

Dogs that are heavy drinkers can have urine that is very clear and (to us) pretty much odorless.

When our babies were younger, we'd occasionally find a crate pan nearly full of clear, odorless liquid... and I can't imagine anyone licking *that* much. Even Whistler, who was a huge drooler, especially when nervous, never left a puddle like that! We never figured out exactly what was going on (this happened maybe three times over the course of a year)... but urine was really the only thing that made any sense.

Guest greytexplorer

You have just described my Mandy. She starts licking her leg, then her foot, then the couch, leaving large wet spots.

Which now leads this thread to......

How Do You Clean Your Couch (short of calling Stanley Steemer) of All the Drool/Lick Spots?

Renie is a world class bed licker. She's always done it. Jack never did ... but now he seems to have caught the habit from her - last night I watched as he 'tranced' himself stupid, licking at the side of his bed. He seemed almost embarrassed when I called his name and he snapped out of it. :lol

I agree. Most likely a lick spot, but also, yes, if they drink a lot their urine can be almost colourless - Jim's was like that most of the time, but it would smell a little, and maybe a lot after it had been there a while (he was a pee-er on carpet). :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I agree. Most likely a lick spot, but also, yes, if they drink a lot their urine can be almost colourless - Jim's was like that most of the time, but it would smell a little, and maybe a lot after it had been there a while (he was a pee-er on carpet). :)

the bed is a costco one with cedar in it...do you think that the cedar is masking the odor???

:unsure

I really dont know what to think..

Tuffy pees ok, it's golden yellow, no weird stuff on the tip of his penis... should I go check him out to the vet?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

How long since he has been checked? Is the "stain" where the position would be urine, or on the side (my guys drool or lick the sides)

Vet check-up last May... everything was fine...

The spots are anywhere on his bed... Tuffy changes position a lot... like every hour He gets up, stretch and lay in a other position... :unsure

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Guest amcele

Not necessarily--I have a grey with protein in her urine. The color is very pale and has little to no odor.

She has been on blood pressure medication for this for about 3 years. Most vets usually just check for a UTI but this wonderful vet noticed the protein level during our discussion of what her problem could be (drinking a lot of water). I thought it could be diabetes--fooled me.

When her protein level is less her urine has more color and more smell. But she hasn't had a normal level in years. I would check the color of his urine when he goes. If good color, I would agree it is probably a lick spot.

If it was an hormone imbalance he would leave drips somewhere in the house.

thanks everyone!

yesterday I put a white cotton sheet on his suede bed... first it will be less hot for him so maybe He will lick less... and if there's pee spot I'll probably see yellow spots on it...

:rolleyes:

Next bed will be in an other type of fabric and it will be removalbe to wash! :P

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Guest seaturtle123

My Babs licks the sheets, rug, & dog bed covers all the time leaving a huge wet spot. She did it on my beautiful microsuede red couch & left a stain that looked like she peed on it. I bought an el cheapo mattress pad for $6.00 & put that down first on the couch cushions then the sheet. Plus towels on the end pillows-I miss my beautiful red couch!!