Dislocated Toe

This morning, I let the girls out after breakfast. We had an uninvited guest in the backyard. The girls spotted the rabbit a split second after I did and the race was on (It was specatcular. The first time I've seen them in hot persuit as a pack). The rabbit escaped, probably the way it got in and was last seen calling it's cardiologist. When the dust settled, Kara was limping and the fourth toe on her right front foot was pointing out at about a 45 degreee angle. I called the vet and no sooner got off the phone, than I saw Kara up and walking with the toe back where it belonged (anything to make Dad look like an idiot). The vet confirmed it was a dislocation. It's tender and there's a bit of swelling, but that's about it.

Has anyone else had a hound dislocate a toe. Is tis likely to be a repeating injury?

Thanks,

Marc

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Several years ago, our Amy (at the bridge) dislocated her toe playing in the pasture. We went inside and I called the vet. As we were preparing to depart, she sat down on the rug, stuck her foot in her mouth, and put her own toe back in place!

We've had many dislocations, because our dogs run hard in lure coursing and just free running in our pasture. Some have resolved on their own (rarely). There are a number of treatments, but few vets know how to perform them.

Since the dislocation has been reduced (toe back in place) and your dog doesn't normally run hard, I'd say take a wait and see approach. Leash walk for a few weeks to allow it time to heal. If it dislocates again, check with your vet re: options.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Guest HornGreys

I have one boy that dislocates his toe at least once a month. He sometimes puts it back in place or I just pop it back in place. The vet says that he may very well get arthritis in the joint later on.

Guest minzenon

Dislocated toes are pretty common. Best practice is to get them back into place as fast as possible, after which you can ice the area if you wish to reduce swelling. To help with healing you can use some ligament rub or similar.

Guest patti909

Luke just recovered from a dislocated toe on his back foot. It was folded over, looked bad. He needed surgery to have to put back and he was casted for a few weeks, then one month with no running.

I don't know if it will be reoccuring but I do know that Lacie's broken toe from last year still gives her trouble.

I've seen a few fosters with this issue where it only happened a few times, I popped it back in and that was that. We currently have a foster though who's toe pops out continuously (even if he's just hanging in the crate). The vet instructed us to pad in between the toes with cotton and keep the foot wrapped. That seems to be helping. We'll do that for a while, then if the issue hasn't resolved get him in for a visit. You might try that if the toe pops out again, or as a preventative if you're going to let your pup run. For bathroom trips in the interim, you might turn Kara out separately so she's not inclined to take off to give it some time to heal.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Kara's doing fine. If I hadn't actually seen the dislocated toe before she reduced it on her own, I'd never know. I've restricted her running in the back yard (although I need to have a chat with the local squirrels). There doesn't seem to be any significant swelling.

Thanks for the info.

Marc

Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Athena dislocated her toe shortly about three years ago. Her foot was wrapped for four weeks and she was restricted to leash walking only. (She was not happy!) We've had no further problems with that toe.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Bailey dislocated his toe at the park one day, it totally freaked me out 'cause it looked so wonky. I went to the vet with him, and she took his paw in her hands to check it; he pulled his paw back and the toe popped back in. We had a good laugh, and no more trouble with that toe. I did put a lid on running for a few weeks afterwards.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

My vet said there was basically not much to do for the toe unless there was any major swelling (in fact, she didn't even charge for the visit!). If there is any swelling, it is very slight.

Jitters used to dislocate her toe a lot - she would trot up to me with her paw in the air and I'd pop her toe back in.

Other than giving me the heebie jeebies, it hasn't been a problem.

Life with Leo the greyhound and Daisy the puggle.