Heat And Panting

Guest ss556

Guest ss556

I took Alan to the park two doors away from my house (not far) and was in there for about 15-20 mins. There is some shade, but it is hot outside. He panted his way home and in the airconditioning now but is still panting heavily after 1/2hr. I put a towel on his back area and gave him some water. Is this normal reaction?

Guest SoulsMom

I can't offer advice, but I'm worrying about the same thing. Soul decided to do zoomies and it's over 90 and humid. As soon as I got him inside I "toweled him down" He seems ok now, but I'm going to wet him down every hour or so . . . .

Guest Winterwish

The mugginess and humidity this year has been incredible and sooo long lasting here in the NE,right?

Alan and Soul's mom,do you have an air conditioner or fans going?

For the towel on his back Susan,I'd pass on that one and wet him down more on his chest and abdominal area and the inside of his ear flaps.

Not too much water at once at this time,just a few sips,mainly to wet his tongue,and then I'd just leave him be a bit.

Too much hovering when they're like that can make the panting continue too.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest team_weasel
Yes, I believe it is normal. When greyhounds run they release a large amount of energy. It takes time for them to recover. On hot days we do not walk very far (around the block) and the dogs are panting for a couple hours. Soaking a towel in cold water, wringing it out, and placing it over your hound is a great idea... that should help cool him down a bit.

If mine play outside in this horrible heat I hose them down outside before bringing them in.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It's not uncommon, but I don't like my dogs to come home and still be panting half an hour later - it worries me. If that happens, I wet them down in the tummy/chest area, inside the hind legs and inside the ear flaps. It usually does help them to cool quicker.

Offer cold water - not icy cold, but definitely cold. And make sure they're in a place where the air is cool and not too humid. They cool off best in dry air.

If you use a cool coat, make sure it's never allowed to get warm from contact with their body. You will probably need to keep wetting it frequently with cold water. If you allow it to get warm, it will keep them warm instead of cooling them.

If you live somewhere where it gets really hot, you'll probably need to limit their outside time to their own tolerance. :)

It's usually Jack who pants for a long time - he's the old one, nearly twelve. If your dog is a senior, you may also want to get their heart function checked because cardiac insufficiency is not helped by overheating, and it may be a little of both, but elderly dogs do have more trouble coping with heat. Just a FYI.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest SoulsMom
wet him down more on his chest area and the inside of his ear flaps.

Thanks for the belly and ear tip! I do have a/c downstairs, but he insists on being with me upstairs where it's much warmer :rolleyes: I have two fans running though. I try not to let him outdoors during the daytime hours because of his Lupus, but he just HAD to go, and then celebrated his poop with zoomies . . . . .

Guest ss556

We have a/c - just got central air (what a fiasco) and ceiling fans going. I wet his back with a cool towel, but next time will do the belly, ear instead. I got scared, he was never that bad. He recovered though and is resting on my bed - like whatelse would he be doing? But thanks for the replies, I always feel better.

CIMG0284.jpg

Please keep a thermometer on hand so you can take your dog's temp if you are ever uncertain. That's the best way to know whether your dog is just recovering from a hot walk or is in actual danger. I'll be buying a new one (for myself) since my old one has now been designated a rectal thermometer after last Friday's incident. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sounds normal to me. Beau especially takes longer to recoup from the heat with the excessive panting. In addtion to what you do, make sure he drinks. My Chloe is not fond of water so I add a little bit of chicken broth straight from the can to it so it will entice her.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest minzenon

Cant stress enough how important it is to have them hydrated before running in hot weather. Even for simple walks around the block. Products such as Recharge, Beta K, any electrolyte powder etc. Products such as these can be purchase from http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/usacad...ormance&Bc=

You can also put their feet in a bucket of water plus ice cubes in their water dish (porclein dishes will keep water cooler than other dishes- thats why dogs drink out of toilet bowls)