Odd Bump Thing After Surgery

Guest Heyzq

Guest Heyzq

Music had surgery 2 weeks ago for a little growth on her chest -- turned out to be a benign hemangioma (thank goodness) so I'm not complaining here. But she has developed a strange sort of fluid sac hanging from her belly. It had started to grow last week, so I took her in a day early for suture removal so they could check it. The Vet seemed unconcerned and thought it would shrink. Instead it grew. So I took her back again. Again, the Vet says that it's probably just some fluid build-up and she's not concerned yet...if it hasn't gone down in 2-3 weeks, she might want to go in again and do some surgery (but is reluctant because Music's skin is so thin there -- I'm reluctant, too, of course).

So, in the meantime, I'm trying warm compresses in hopes of speeding the shrinkage.

I'm not worried sick or anything -- in the grand scheme of things, it's just an ugly bump (I call it her "boob") on an otherwise gorgeous dog. But I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this on their dogs after a surgery.

Thanks for any voices of experience.

Oh, it's probably just a seroma -- fluid that needs to be reabsorbed. Warm compresses can help some. B had one once (after minor bump surgery) that took 2 months? to go away, but go away it eventually did. When it's on the underside of the dog, it takes longer -- gravity working against you. Don't bother draining it for appearance's sake, it'll probably just come back until it's ready to absorb in its own good time.

If it ever begins to seem hot or tender in any way, then you'd want vet to see it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oliver had a seroma on the low point on his chest after a trauma (Gracie body-slammed him).

It didn't totally re-absorbed but was never a problem.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png