Buzz Has Osteo (most Likely)

retiredracers

We came home on Monday evening from work and Buzz's rear right leg (bottom) was swollen, hard and extremely painful. He was already on Metacam for arthritis pain so we started giving him Tramadol to help, too. He seemed comfortable through the night Monday but was up pacing and panting again on Tuesday morning early. We gave him more Tramadol and he settled down shortly. Last night, we upped his Tramadol dosage but he just wouldn't settle down. Anytime he tried laying down he just couldn't do it... the pain was too great. This morning, we upped it again but he just isn't comfortable.

Buzz HATES going to the vet and after his last time here (I work for a vet) when he completely freaked out when we were trying to do x-rays (fought, screamed, bit, lost bowel and urinary control, etc.), I have decided to not put him through any diagnostics. I have described the tumor to my vet and based on the amount of pain involved, I am about 99% positive he has osteo. It is definitely a hard "bony" tumor, not a soft one.

Since the pain meds aren't helping ease the pain (and I'm worried about the leg breaking), we have decided to do it tomorrow morning. It is going to be very hard... not only will he be difficult to hold for the IV euthanasia but he doesn't take things like valium, butorphonal or ace well. We are going to give him a big dose of Valium before leaving our house and hope that it calms him enough. I don't want his last minutes with us to be bad.

I have never "scheduled" to have a pet euthanzed before and I can't believe how hard it is. In the past, I have been lucky that I have had to just "do it" and it couldn't be scheduled (if that makes sense).

Please say some prayers for Buzz that he is able to find comfort tonight and that everything goes well tomorrow morning.

Thank you.

UPDATE:

Buzz went VERY peacefully to the bridge last night. The Tramadol wasn't helping the pain at all (even at 150 mg) so we gave him a nice big dose of Valium (50 mg) at around 6 pm (the vet couldn't make it until about 8:30) and within 15 minutes he was calm, quiet and pretty out of it. He would still get a little nervous when I tried laying next to him (I was still the bad one :( ) so we gave him another 10 mg at around 8 pm in the hopes that it would really calm him when she got there. It did. He didn't fight at all for the injection. Me, Greg & my sister were all around him, said our goodbyes and gave him lots of kisses.

I think he enjoyed his steak dinner (even with the pain) and I know he enjoyed the chocolate cupcakes that I also picked up for him (plus the cheese danish that Greg fed him, too). Our boy is now at the bridge with my Crooked girl, his big brother Prince and all of the other GT hounds who are waiting for their families.

Thank you EVERYONE for your kind words, hugs and prayers. It's been said before and will be said many times again but GTers are WONDERFUL!!!

I'll post something about Buzzer in Rememberance later.

Sheila

Edited by retiredracers

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry!

I hope Buzz is content tonight. :hope

Big Hugs!!! :grouphug

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I am so sorry. Sending prayers. :hope:candle:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I am so sorry :cry1 Is there any way the vet can come to your house? Sending prayers for an easy transition :hope :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Would you consider having the vet come to the house rather than taking Buzz in?

Saying many prayers for you & Buzz....

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm so sorry to hear your news. :grouphug Sending light, prayers and hope for a gentle transition to peace for your precious Buzz. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am so sorry :cry1 Is there any way the vet can come to your house? Sending prayers for an easy transition :hope :hope :hope

I have thought about this but we live so far away from the vet who he is somewhat comfortable with (about one hour) and she is leaving for vacation tomorrow after work. I don't think I'm ready to do it tonight but I don't know... I just don't know. I've been crying off and on all day beause I am so sad for him. He is such a sweet, sweet boy.

But I'm being selfish saying that I'm not ready... it's about him, not me. I'll go talk to her right now to see if she come tonight.

Thank you.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest PhillyPups

My heart is so breaking for you, this is always so hard. :bighug to you and scritches to Buzz to guide him across the bridge where he will be with some of the very best.

She's going to come to the house tonight. I'm going to go to the store and buy a big, fatty steak and cook for him. He'll love it.

Here's the strange part... Buzz is wonderfully sweet but he won't let me get close to him (he's scared of me and always has been because I do all of the "bad" things to him... nails, teeth, brushing, etc.) so I was never really sure of our connection. Now, I really feel it. I feel like my heart is breaking and it hurts. Losing Crooke last year was the hardest thing ever but man this just sucks!

I really, really hate cancer!!!!!

Guest argolola

I'm so sorry. I remember crying when you lost Crooke.

Please give Buzz big hugs and keep us posted as you can. Sending prayers.