Spay Question

Guest chigal950

Guest chigal950

Why do they do such an invasive surgery when they spay? Can't they just tie or snip the tubes?

I am just wondering, having heard about an older female which lost a lot of blood and was at risk of death on the table? Fortunately she's OK.

Thank you. B)

Tubal ligation would prevent the girl from getting pregnant, but not from going into heat since her ovaries would still be present. A female dog in heat attracts males from miles around...

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest chigal950

Oh, that makes sense.

Well taking it one step further, is there a doggie menopause? A genearl age at which they stop going into heat in which case they would not need the surgery I guess?

Guest LynnM

Nope, no menopause in the canine world, and having a uterus at an older age leaves her vulnerable to pyometra.

My own opinion is up in the air as to whether or not to spay an older (9-10+) gal, but pyo is always a concern in older bitches and can really, really make life miserable for the dog, owner and vet/staff that has to remove that nasty uterus (trust me, it's awful).

Lynn

I had forgotten about pyo. A risk for older female cats, too.

Edited by MarcR

Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Guest TracyandLance

Correct in regards to no menopause, pyo, and lowering risks of certain cancers. There often is more blood when older dogs get a "mature spay" done. They are larger and there is more blood vessels to ligate. So yes the risk is there, but I think having it done to protect them from the above issues outweighs not getting it done. As long as the dog is in general good health. The vet should be doing a full physical exam, complete bloodwork, and a ECG. Remember there is ALWAYS a risk with any surgery. Spay/neuters should never be thought of as "routine".

Guest budsmom

I'm not sure about dogs, but female cats that aren't spayed also have a higher incidence of mammary cancer. IMHO, unless the animal is going to be used for breeding, it should be altered at the earliest time possible. The health risks to the animal, as well as the nuisance to the owner just aren't worth it.

Nope, no menopause in the canine world, and having a uterus at an older age leaves her vulnerable to pyometra.

My own opinion is up in the air as to whether or not to spay an older (9-10+) gal, but pyo is always a concern in older bitches and can really, really make life miserable for the dog, owner and vet/staff that has to remove that nasty uterus (trust me, it's awful).

Lynn

If I rescued a female I would spay her at any age. I would much rather spay a healthy 10 year old female Greyhound then spay a sick and septic 11 year old Greyhound with a uterus full of puss. Will 100% of intact females go to a pyo? No. But a high enough percentage will that I wouldn't risk it unless the dog was such a poor anesethetic risk that I wasn't comfortable anesthetizing them for any reason. spaying at this age won't prevent mammary cancer but it will prevent ovarian or uterine cancer and it will prevent pyometra.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest wilsontrixie

they are spaying puppies at 6-8 weeks old by tieing the tubes.

1 stitch.

i had a client with a Doberman who had had it done...i believe this is being done more in the states but her surgery was done in southern Ontario near London...

I'm assuming the stuff inside doesn't mature that way but I'm not sure.

an adult would have to have a full hysterectomy.

Tubal ligation would prevent the girl from getting pregnant, but not from going into heat since her ovaries would still be present. A female dog in heat attracts males from miles around...

Over here in Europe tubal ligation is done every now and then as well as vasectomy in males...

By the way my hounds are intact and my female (now 8 years old) never attracted males from miles around.

I walk her in heat the same as without heat and until now I had never any problems with male dogs following us.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Over here in Europe tubal ligation is done every now and then as well as vasectomy in males...

By the way my hounds are intact and my female (now 8 years old) never attracted males from miles around.

I walk her in heat the same as without heat and until now I had never any problems with male dogs following us.

Probably should have qualified than with "can attract"