New Boy's Wellness Visit

Guest IGmom4now

Guest IGmom4now

Presto has been with me for just over three weeks --- eating great, sleeping well (until about 6:10 am), coat looks good, getting along well with everybody. Poops are formed, but soft, etc..

I'm taking him to a vet who has his own greys for a wellness visit, and to get him hooked up with some Interceptor and Frontline, weigh him, etc. I will also have him checked for pannus, as he has persistant redness in the white tissue around his eyes, and have his stool checked, again, for worms, as he just doesn't seem to be gaining any weight (those ribs and vertibrae are just sticking out too much). He's three, and went in for a vet visit before I adopted him. Anything else I should ask about when I take him in??

Congratulations on your adoption of Presto. :)

Since you are taking your boy to a vet who has his own greyhounds, he will likely make suggestions for this first exam.

For my dog I would want a good physical including manipulation of joints, a fecal, urine test and baseline blood work.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest LynnM

If you're going in "just because", I'd draw for a tick titer (SNAP tests can give false negatives, as they don't register until the dog is pretty darn positive), and a check for back and joint pain, if the vet is good at finding that sort of thing- some are and some aren't. Chances are good that he'll have discernable pain between C6/C7 and T1. Almost all track dogs do. He's pretty young, but sesamoiditis (old toes) can crop up, but not usually in dogs that young.

Worms are hit or miss... I don't have a ton of faith in fecal floats (having done about a bazillion of them). With a fresh-off-the-track dog, I tend to assume they have worms unless they give me reason to think otherwise. In other words, if the dog has unexplained soft/loose stool or diarrhea, then he probably needs wormed.

An eye check is always a good idea. It could well just be allergies, but eye issues are so touchy that it's always best to have it checked out and only a vet can tell you what's what. The difference between having sight and being blind can literally be a day's wait. On a fresh off the track dog, the explanation is likely irritation from sand or seasonal allergies, but it NEVER hurts to have eye issues checked out.

You might also want to ask to have his teeth checked out... I'm sure they're freshly cleaned, since you just adopted him, but the vet can have a look at the wear (or lack thereof) and maybe give you an idea of what you can expect to deal with in the future, in re cleanings, extractions, etc.

Lynn