Cooper Is Limping

Guest sophieandcooper

Guest sophieandcooper

Cooper (just turned 3) just started limping all of the sudden. Saturday morning, we went for our usual walk and he was fine, he then took his morning nap and woke up from his nap and is limping on his front right paw. After walking around a little bit, the limp got better. The next morning, he woke up as energetic as usual and was waiting for his walk. We noticed no limp so we went on a shorter walk, still no limp during the walk and then after his morning nap, he started limping again. Once again we watched it closely and it got better the more he moved around. This morning he once again woke up with no limp and after his morning nap, is limping again. We have squeezed all over the leg and paw and it doesn't seem tender at all. I think it is just a sprain or strain since it gets better after he moves around some, but now I am started to get worried. I have an appointment for Wed for him. Any other ideas?

Guest argolola

ShantisMom has a young girl with a limp, so maybe she will post. My Lola has limped off and on for 1 1/2 years, but she is a senior. Rough pavement seems to make her limp.

I will pray for Cooper. Please keep us posted.

Guest team_weasel
Sophie, was Cooper ever a racer? If so, it may be an old injury playing up a bit. Have you checked the pads of his paw -- it might be a corn coming out.

Guest sophieandcooper

Cooper did race but was retired before he turned 2. He is a toe amputee on his back leg, but it has never caused a problem. We have checked his pads thoroughly and examined his foot and leg pretty carefully and see nothing. He is usually pretty quick to whine and he doesn't whine at all when we mess with his foot or leg. I am starting to get worried.

Honey developed a "mystery limp" a couple of years ago. Although she was in considerable pain, there was no obvious injury and not much tenderness. Xrays showed nothing. The vet put her on anti-inflammatory but it did take a couple of weeks to completely resolve. Nearly as we could tell, she either had a sprain or pulled muscle. I know the "mystery" limps are worrisome, but taking to the vet is the best thing, I think.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

It's probably a mild injury that stiffens up when he's sleeping. If it is a muscle-related injury it would improve after warming up with exercise, just like it would in a human. Ask your vet, but it doesn't sound like anything serious. Good luck!

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Front leg limps can also be from shoulder, neck or spine. I use the three day rule....dog limps, by third day we go to the vet.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest daberle

My 7 yr old female Annabelle started a front left leg limp about 3 weeks ago. She was out in the backyd with my other male greyhound. I wasn't out there and can't say for sure if they we running around together.

Two weeks ago I took her to the vet she did an exam.. pulling, pushing her nails, pads, leg, shoulder joints she didn't react.

Last week I took her in for 3 xrays... the foot, leg and shoulder- another vet did the exam not a peep out of her. The xrays showed nothing, her lungs and heart are fine.

She had heartworm lymes test - negitive.

She is now on pain meds and REST REST... no running, jumping, playing or long walks.

She has SLO so I'm soaking her foot in Epson Salts just in case she has a mild infection.

She doesn't limp all the time, but most.She sometimes just picks her foot up or extends her leg.

I've seen her nest her bed (eggcrate) like crazy .. never yulps in pain.

I'm hoping its a strain and rest will make it better. She never yelps in pain no matter where you pull or prad. Her eating or drinking or attitude hasn't changed either. :hope

You always think the worst and I'm trying really hard not to get ahead of myself.

My baby Fenway had a limp a few weeks ago, but only on bark like that at dog parks. It was not an obvious limp, but just slight head bobbing. That next weekend he was roaching on the couch and placed is feet on my face :rolleyes: and when I touched his paw to move it I got the GSOD. I looked closer and I saw that his toe was inflamed and crusty, and could only see this when he was laying upside down like that. Turns out he had a puncture wound right under his nail which got infected. I felt bad for not noticing earlier, but it was in a really weird place. 7 days of antibiotics and a wrap on his foot for 5 days....he's back to new! I hope it's something easy for you too. :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)