Need A Dog Food For A Friends Greyhound

Guest greyaspet

Guest greyaspet

A good friend of mine had her dog tested for allergies and she came back with allergies to

Barley, Lamb, Brewers Yeast, Rice, Carrots, Poultry, Corn and Eggs. Feeding raw is not an option for my friend. Any good foods that you know of that this little girl can eat?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sheila

Guest lizmego

Wow.....Is she open to a homemade diet? Doesn't have to be raw, but needs to be homecooked.

Let me go look for other brands that I'm thinking of right now -

Wellness Whitefish and Potato - nope that has barley

Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato

Trout, Oatmeal, Herring Meal, Oat Flour, Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Sweet Potato, Calcium Carbonate, Flax Seed, Lecithin, Dicalcium Phosphate, Organic Quinoa, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Bromelain, Papain, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Calcium Pantothenate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B Complex), Folic Acid, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Sodium Selenite.

Pinnacle Duck and Potato

Duck Meal, Potatoes, Oatmeal, Duck, Oat Flour, Potato Fiber, Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed, Organic Quinoa, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Bromelain, Papain, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B Complex), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate.

Edited by lizmego

NB Fish & sweet potato:

Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Salmon, Salmon Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Inulin, Taurine, L-Carnitine, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B).

so far this is the only one I've found

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest BooMooandDoo

Looks like the Orijen 6 fish would work

Fresh salmon (includes chinook. coho and sockeye species), salmon meal, russet potato, herring meal, fresh lake whitefish, sweet potato, fresh lake trout, fresh Northern walleye, freshwater cod, fresh herring, sunflower oil, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherals, a natural source of vitamin E), sun-cured alfalfa, dried sea vegetables (brown kelp, Irish moss, dulse and bladder wrack), leeks, psyllium, crab shell, rosemary, lecithin, apples, black currants..

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS

Chicory root (FOS), licorice root, fennel seed, zea mays, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, rosehips.

ORGANIC MINERALS

Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS

Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Enterococcus faecium fermentation product..

PREMIUM VITAMINS

Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).

Guest lizmego

Eagle Holistic - all have rice

Premium Edge - has barley

California natural - has barley

Fromm Family Foods - has barley, rice and eggs

I'm at the end of my brainstorming. I'll need to go review the latest Whole Dog Journal to review more manufacturers. But it might be easiest to home cook for the dog. There are some great articles in Whole Dog Journal. PM me your email address and I can send you a copy of it.

I am surprised we have come up with 3! That is an awful list.

I know! If the dog doesn't like fish, she's really out of luck.

Also, if you have difficult finding these brands in your area. Contact the manufacturer directly to find out which distributor carries their product, then contact the distributor to determine if this distributor makes deliveries to a local store near you and see if you can get the local store to let you order the specific brand of food you want through them. The distributor won't sell to you directly, but if they know their customer (i.e. the stores) then they should be able to get you in touch with the store owner that would be open to the idea of special ordering the food for you.

Good luck!

Edited by lizmego

Guest greyaspet

Thank you all very much. Also hitting myself up against the head because I get the WDJ and didn't think to look there.

I will pass your information on to my friend.

Thanks again,

Sheila

Venison, Beef and/or buffalo. someone makes kangaroo I think. um....potato for carbs. even sweet potato - more fiber over regular potato. Mind you all the brands that make these escape me right now...

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Even though the list says "poultry" (don't they give you specific proteins in the allergy test results?) I would be tempted to try duck. It's a dark meat and very different from chicken and turkey, which were specifically bred to be white and mild tasting for human palates. So the dog may have a different reaction to duck than chicken/turkey.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Wow, that is tough. I think if it were me I'd be going with something home-cooked but even that would be hard!

That's a tough list. The rice makes things especially hard--I know because of Edie.

Anyway, I don't know if your friend can find it where she lives, but there's a Canadian brand called Go Natural; the Salmon + Oatmeal would work Site:

Salmon Meal, Salmon, Oatmeal, Whole Oats, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols (vit. E), Oat fiber, Inulin (FOS), Mannanoligosaccharides (MOS), Yucca Schidigera, Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol (vit. D3), dl Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (vit. E), Ferrous Sulfate, *Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (vit. C), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, *Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, *Manganese Proteinate, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vit. B6), Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin K, Vitamin B12

Also, prescription foods like IVD's Potato and Venison, which Minnie was on until the company stopped selling it in Canada.

ETA: I have all my girls on Go Natural Salmon, and it seems to be an excellent food.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)