How To Push Back The Quick Of The Nail?

Guest hllb

My dogs have really long nails and their quicks seem to be quite far out. There's no way I'd be able to cut them as short as they should be. So, how can I encourage the quick to go "back"? Is just cutting them frequently, a little shorter each time, enough? Will that work?

I'm in the process of trying to get Carolina's quicks back too. Our vet suggested to bring her in every month for a nail and that's what we've been doing. Her nails seem to stay at a consistent length now but I haven't seen any shorting yet. You just have to keep working at it at I guess.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest EmbersDad

thats what i was told. if you trim them back as far as possible on a regular basis, the quick will recede. since i am a big baby-gun shy coz i cut the quick once, im gonna have ember's nails dremeled back at the groomer's at our local petsmart.

You should be taking a little off every few days (not weeks, not once a month). The best way to do this is by using a dremel.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest LolasMom

I had the same problem. After I cut the quick too close twice :yikes I tried dremeling. It's a lot cheeper and easier than going to the vet. My girls nails grow fast so she gets a little manicure/pedicure every week :blush . She loves the time (nice tasty treats) and her nails are no longer hitting the ground when she stands. Someone here shared this article - it works like a charm and explains in detail how to help get your pup to enjoy the time!! :thumbs-up

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/dob...mel/dremel.html

I had heard you put Preparation H on the tip of the nail after cutting it each time and it should shrink the quick back.... don't know if it is a good tip or a joke, but figured I'd pass it on and if anyone's done it they could mention so :)

Diane

4463Fudgie_and_Goods_draft_2_sharpened_small.jpg

Fudgie 2/27/96 - 8/14/05 and Goods 2/27/96 - 3/12/08 ~~Together again~~

Dremeling (or filing if you dog is anti-dremel) every few days helps move them back. I notice that taking a quick 3 minute jog on pavement helps. You want to keep it short enough that your don't hurt your dogs pads, but long enough to get a little wear on the nails.

It's slow work though. Took me 2 1/2 months to start seeing a difference.

Just get a regular variable speed dremel, that way you can use it for more than trimming puppy nails.

www.doberdawn.com has a good tutorial, as well as specifics as to which model works well.

Any particular tip for the dremel to get? I think my hubby has a dremel already....

I prefer the cordless mini-mite (might?), but rather than using 4AAs, I have a rechargable battery that gives more power.

Oh, you can get it on Amazon.com for under $30, irrc.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest snakes
I had the same problem. After I cut the quick too close twice :yikes I tried dremeling. It's a lot cheeper and easier than going to the vet. My girls nails grow fast so she gets a little manicure/pedicure every week :blush . She loves the time (nice tasty treats) and her nails are no longer hitting the ground when she stands. Someone here shared this article - it works like a charm and explains in detail how to help get your pup to enjoy the time!! :thumbs-up

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/dob...mel/dremel.html

excellent reference, thanks!

If you dremel (or file) every day or at most every other day, the quick will start to move back in @ 3 weeks. You can use an emery board or small, fine wood rasp if you don't have a dremel. You want to go all the way down to the quick every time. Also bevel the edges of the nail just a bit, so that the part that hits the ground first is the part where the quick is.

This worked very well for Batman.

Please don't ask me why, in nearly 7 years, I haven't done it for any of the other family dogs. The answer would have to be something embarrassing, like "lazy schmoo."

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.