Has Anyone Seen Anything Like This Before?

I noticed this sore on Carmens back foot about two weeks ago and just thought that she had scraped it on something outside. I've been keeping an eye on it and today it seems to be larger and is now a little bloody but not bleeding out or anything. It is tender to the touch, isn't scabbed over and she keeps licking at it. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Do you think it is just a wound or is it something that I should be worried about? I already have an appt at the vet tomorrow for another grey with a corn and can probably get her in as well. Please tell me what you think, I am so worried right now.

MLeah3rdbirthday581.jpg

MLeah3rdbirthday579.jpgMLeah3rdbirthday585.jpg

MLeah3rdbirthday582.jpg

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I'd have the vet look at that ASAP if it hasn't healed in two weeks.

I agree, I would get Carmen in tomorrow also.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I'd get a vet to see her as well. :)

It is hard to tell from a little photo, but it looks as if it could be simply a scrape turned into a lick granuloma, or even a simple ulcer caused by excessive licking. Better to be on the safe side and get it checked, though, and even if it IS just that, it needs treatment to allow it to heal properly. ;)

Here's a link with pictures. WARNING - these pictures are of severe lick granulomas and are nasty.

Click

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest sbd1849
Yes, go to the vet. My wonderful seven year old grey, Jet, just had a lump removed that looks a lot like Carmen's. Jet's was on her front left leg. At first I thought it was an infection (and so waited for pus to burst, etc.) or a scrape (and waited for a scab). After a week had gone by, I took her to the vet. He thought it was a "histiocytoma" and thought it was likely to be benign. But surgery was called for to remove it (mostly because it would grow larger and be far more difficult to heal on the leg). She was great through the surgery; final conclusion from biopsy was it was a benign tumor -- "an ulcerated lymphocytic inflammatory nodule." Jet had a bandage on for 10 days and the stitches were removed on Friday and she's doing ok, complete with e collar. I hope and pray that this is the most of what will happen to Carmen.

It's probably just a histiocytoma, but those can also resemble mast cell tumors which can be more of a problem. if you can take her at the same time as the other pup it should have a needle aspirate done to look for round cells.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Thanks everyone for the help, Carmen is going to the vet tomorrow and I'll let you know what we find out.

Nothing to add to the advice given but wanted to wish little Carmen good luck at the vet's tomorrow!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

It's probably just a histiocytoma, but those can also resemble mast cell tumors which can be more of a problem. if you can take her at the same time as the other pup it should have a needle aspirate done to look for round cells.

Yep...looks like a Histiocytoma to me too.....Hope the vet visit goes well.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest snowberry

Just to add, if it is a histiocytoma, they go away by themselves in 6 to 8 weeks, so really nothing to worry about. Good luck at the vets!

Another vote for histiocytoma but as the others have said, best to get it looked at. Good luck at the vets and let us know how you get on :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Well, we went to the vet and yes you all get the blue ribbon. The vet aspirated a little bit and looked at it under the microscope and she says it is a histiocytoma and gave us some antibiotic ointment with antiinflammatory in it to put on it for a while. She also said they usually will go away on their own but if it got any larger to come in and she could remove it. I am really thankful for this site and for all of you who help me everyday. I appreciate all the advice and will be grateful for it. I only wish there were better forums for the other breed dogs that I have. :lol

Yay!!

I've had two dogs that have had them and both resolved without any treatment within two weeks of being aspirated. that isn't a scientific thing, just thought I'd mention. My vet does not prescribe anything for them as she feels it takes LONGER for them to resolve. Again, just her thing. I'm not saying it to make you second guess your vet!

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Wonderful!! Finding out good news is so much better then the worrying. :confetti

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Good news!

Mango says, Carmen, don't lick it anymore! I knows from experience dat it jus' makes it longer dat you has to endure the pokin' and proddin' and medicines!

Heal fast, Sweet Carmen! Mango and I are wishing white light your way.

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Tanks Mango, yous such a gooood fren!

Lubs and Licks,

Carmen

Guest SurlyJen
...[it] resolved without any treatment within two weeks of being aspirated....

The same thing happened to my dog...he had one on the inside of his back leg, and once the vet aspirated it it disappeared quickly.