What's Wrong With My Girl?

Guest ErinT

Guest ErinT

On Wed. night, Lily ran as usual. NOthing seemed out of the ordinary. That night, she woke up a few times yelping, but I couldn't find anything wrong. For the next few days, she has been whimpering slightly when she lays down or gets up. I have checked her extensively, and it doesn't bother her for me to touch at all. She seemed to be feeling better.

Last night, she was yelping ALL NIGHT, every time she changed positions. Again, I can't find anything wrong! She's eating, eliminating normally, but clearly something is hurting her.

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow, but does this sound like anything you've seen???

Guest longdogs

Could be any number of things but there's likely to be some pain somewhere. It's often arthritis but could be an injury. A thorough check should identify the cause.

Lou suffers from this every now and then.

COULD be a pinched nerve, key is if steroid calms it down.

Lou gets Dexamethasone when needed.

I never know when it will happen so I always keep them on hand.

For now, take to vet or e-vet ASAP so she gets out of pain.

Rest, no long walks and no up and down stairs.

Good luck and keeps us posted.

Your girl should have a harness as opposed to her collar, might be tough to put one on her now while inflamed, but do think about it.

Lou wears his collar for ID and harness for activity.

Edited by msjpk

Guest shanesmom

When my first grey Shane used to do this, it was because of a disk problem in his neck. At first, I had no idea why he would scream every time he moved. Took him to the emergency vet who treated him with steroids. Then to our regular vet the next few times it happened. They finally gave me extra medication to start treating him at home as soon as it would start. This all happened several times during our first year together but then it completely stopped. We had started giving him suppliments and such and fortuately that pain never came back.

Sparks does this after a good run at the dog park. I now give him a Rimadyl every time and no more yelping.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest ownedby2greys

PLEASE get her neck/spine checked by a vet asap..this was my babys first signs of his disalinged cartlidge under his vertabre that when popped completely would have caused paralysis....(I lost him a month later but this was my choice thus not to see him go through anymore pain and the risk of him paralysed one day.I wanted him to have a dignified and painfree ending - so as not to worry you) But please please do get her neck and back checked. ;) Always better to be safe than sorry - keep us imformed.

Guest ErinT

Thanks for your responses. She screamed when she got up out of her bed this morning, but then came downstairs and was fine on her walk and ate breakfast. It seems like it is only painful when she is laying on her right side for a while, then tries to pick her head up. Like I said, i am going to call the vet tomorrow morning when it opens at 8, but in the meantime, any ideas on how I can get her to NOT sleep on her side or on the other side?

Thanks!

Guest GiJenn51

There really isn't a way to get her to sleep one way or another. I don't know how grey savvy your vet is, but make sure the neck and back are checked extensively. You might even want to try a warm, and cold compress. to relax muscles and reduce swelling. Good luck tomorrow!

Guest alannamac

Yeah, it reallys sounds like a spine/disc issue. For people, docs usually recommend an anti-inflammatory to reduce swelling arround the affected nerves. I've never had to give my grey an anti-inflammatory so I don't know what is ok for greys.....but if you do know (maybe you have ability to consult vet by phone today before vets office opens tomorrow?), that should help with the discomfort when laying down. Your pup will automatically know which position is most comfortable for her. It sounds like it's just the moving in and out of this position that's most painful. Poor baby :(

Poor baby, let us know what the vet says. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest ownedby2greys

2.50 am here in Uk...only logged in to check on uodate for this girley...

thought about her a lot after Razors issues..hopes shes ok.

Just checking on your girl, I hope Lily is ok.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Any updates?

My grey has had this happen to him twice now. He would yelp when getting up/laying down, and occasionally when stepping over things, but he was able to go up and down stairs okay. I had problems finding the painful area, but then I gave him a cookie which fell to the floor and he yelped trying to pick it up. Upon manipulation of his neck (very gently) I found that he could move his head up no problem, a little pain moving to the sides, and he didn't want to move it down at all. I suspect that he had just pulled a muscle as it was completely gone in 2 days with extra rest. I hope it is something simple like this for your girl also!

Guest ErinT

Thanks for your good thoughts.

We just got back from the vet, who, in manipulating her neck, suspects a pull. He gave her an injection (metacam?) and some deremaxx (to give her 50mg a day for a week). Brought her home, she had a little more bounce in her step and seems to be in a little less pain.

Keep your fingers crossed that this will work and her muscles will get a (painfree) rest.

Glad the vet didn't find any thing else. :) Did he say to limit her activity to just leash walking? If the meds take away the pain she may try to over do it before she is healed.

siggie-7.jpg