Incontinence Post Epsioplasty Surgery

Guest mzmazzei

Guest mzmazzei

Our Fiona is 8 years old. She was spayed some time before 18 months, which is when we got her. Back in July '06 she started developing ulcers on her vulva. Home care was difficult and she wasn't tolerant of daily maintenance to keep the ulcers at bay. We elected to have an epsioplasty performed by a surgeon recommended by our vet and this surgery was done in late April of this year. She recovered remarkably well.

Today she has developed a case of instant onset incontinence. Every time she rests, she leaks urine. Has anyone had this experience?

Of course, it happens just at the vet office is closing for the weekend early Sat afternoon. Rush out for doggie pants and have a vet appointment for Monday morning.

Guest LolasMom

My older girl (14) developed incontinence, I'm sure for very different reasons. However, herbs and acupuncture actually helped completely. I'm lucky enough to have a vet that does Eastern as well as Western medicine. :)

Guest minzenon

Try human sinus tablets. 1 tablet morning and night for 3-4 days then back off to 1 per day or if its getting better you can even drop it down to half a day and continue for a few days. My vet suggested this for Shae who has kidney failure and was having some incontinence issues, the reason he suggested was they have been having great success with it in younger dogs with spay incontinence. Cleared Shae up of his problem in less that 4 days. You must get the sinus tablets which contain Pseudoephedrine (sp) not something that is mixed. In us humans it controls sinus problems but in dogs it has an effect on the central nervous system which in turn controls the bladder. Cost me $12 for the tablets. My vet did say that Shae may have to stay on a low dose possibly for a long time - didn't happen - hes fine and the drug worked a treat with no obvious side effects.

Edited by minzenon

Our Renie had this surgery several years ago and has done very well since, no problems at all in that area. I would suspect that the leaking you are seeing now is not related to the surgery Fiona had. I would have her urine checked for a UTI first. If no UTI then I would suspect she has spay incontinence which is not unusual and can generally be treated successfully. Our Bridge girl Maggie suddenly developed spay incontinence at about 8 and was prescribed a low dosage of PPA which took care of the incontinence.

There are certainly more serious causes of urine leakage, but I would start with the simple ones.

Obviously I'm not a vet, but just giving you our experience. :)

I wouldn't use anything until she has been checked out by a vet :)

Definitely.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest mzmazzei

Well, Fiona was check by our vet on Monday and they drew urine for 2 different lab tests. The fast test showed bacteria and red blood cells in the urine. We are awaiting the culture results to decide which is the appropriate antibiotic.

Interestingly, after dashing out and buying her pants Saturday afternoon and making her where them for the next 24 hours, she had no reoccurence of the incontinence! We are guessing that since she was at the groomers on Friday and always drinks more water than normal after a bath, that she exceeded her usual bladder capacity.

Thanks for all your replies.

Jill Mazzei

With bacteria and blood cells she probably does have an infection, but it should be cleared up with antibiotics. Poor girly, those UTI's aren't any fun. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Interestingly, after dashing out and buying her pants Saturday afternoon and making her where them for the next 24 hours, she had no reoccurence of the incontinence! We are guessing that since she was at the groomers on Friday and always drinks more water than normal after a bath, that she exceeded her usual bladder capacity.

And if she continues to hold it for as long as she can with the pants on, it's not good for her at all. I'd skip them knowing she has an infection.

Glad you took her in!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits