How Long Can/should They Stand?

Guest lms

I've noticed that our dog hates to stand still. When we meet neighbors on our walks, he'll start whining to move on if we chat more than a few minutes, and if we don't move on, he'll lie down on the pavement. I just assumed it's because he's top-heavy and those spindly legs get tired under the dead weight of his body....

The other day, one of my neighbors commented that her grey stopped doing that once she started her anti-seizure meds and thought the two might be related. Is this possible? Could he have some sort of pre-condition for seizures? Or is he just tired/lazy?

Guest DoofBert

Could be that he is just bored. Or he oculd have been trained to do a 'down' when on leash if people stop to talk.

I know that behavior was shown during our obedience classes.... teach dog to sit or down if you stop to chat with another person.

Then again, could be something medical. Perhaps check his pads -- maybe a corn?

I don't know about seizures, but one of my girls, Nadia, is definitely a member of the "why stand when you can lay down" club. I know she doesn't have any sort of seizure disorder. Honey and Kara will get bored sometimes if I chat too long on a walk. But I do a monthly meet-and-greet and they have no problem standing for extended periods. The difference at a meet-and-greet is, of course, that there are always new people coming to see them (I'm just the guy holding the leashes ;) )

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

He lies down at the meet-and-greets, too. They tire him out pretty quickly, unless I don't walk him first. (And then he's all over the place, wanting to walk around inside, outside, anything not to stand there in front of the table!)

I figured it was boredom/good sense, but I thought it was a little freaky that the neighbor's grey used to do the same thing until her seizure meds kicked in!

Edited by lms

I should have been more specific - Honey and Kara will stand. Nadia lays down after a while. But, then again, I've seen many hounds that would just as soon lay down at a m & g.

In any case, unless you have any other signs, I wouldn't worry about seizures.

Edited by MarcR

Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Zema did that even when she was a spooky 2-year-old wild thing. I believe the scientific explanation for this behavior is: Dogs are weird.

:)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SoulsMom
I don't know about seizures, but one of my girls, Nadia, is definitely a member of the "why stand when you can lay down" club. I know she doesn't have any sort of seizure disorder. Honey and Kara will get bored sometimes if I chat too long on a walk. But I do a monthly meet-and-greet and they have no problem standing for extended periods. The difference at a meet-and-greet is, of course, that there are always new people coming to see them (I'm just the guy holding the leashes ;) )

Same here. Soul almost never lays down at the meet and greets. That would me he might miss out on licking someone :rolleyes:

Guest team_weasel

One of our boys, Manny, is such a little bugger that during Meet & Greets he'll start backing up -- that is the sign that he's saying, "mommmm I wanna go home!" ...

Driver just lays down when he's had enough (usually after about 5 minutes).. Whereas Sandy, well she could stand for hours (or just rest her belly on my knee, if I am sat down).

I wouldn't worry too much about it.. as mentioned, they sprint for 30 seconds and sleep for 6 hours. 40 mile and hour couch potatoes! You know what -- I think they have the right idea! :lol

How hot was it? Was the pavement hot? Your GH could have be getting hot feet!

Not at all hot. I've made that mistake a couple of times! :blink:

The whining is simply boredom....he just wants to get back to doing more interesting things ;)

As for how long they can/should stand.....all day long in Sadi's case, and then when she gets home she sleeps for England :lol:lol:lol

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

The whining is simply boredom....he just wants to get back to doing more interesting things ;)

As for how long they can/should stand.....all day long in Sadi's case, and then when she gets home she sleeps for England :lol:lol:lol

Ah, yes... the favorite post meet-and-greet activity... for me, as well

Guest SoulsMom

Ah, yes... the favorite post meet-and-greet activity... for me, as well

Me too! We're off to do one in about an hour. Boy, after reading about Adam I know I'm going to be super nervous today.

Guest Greensleeves

Well, I sympathize with her! I personally HATE to stand, and would much rather sit down or walk around. Waiting for elevators is torture! :lol: It drives my DH crazy--if he wants to show me something on the computer, I *have* drag a chair over, or I fidget.

I'm sure dogs are the same way--some like to stand, stand and lean, fidget, lie down, etc.

Ivy and Soldi don't like to stand either but they can stand without whining for quite a while...Soldi looses patience

before Ivy and starts a bit of whining if I talk too long with somebody on our walks.

Both of my hounds would NEVER, EVER lay down on a pavement...they would stand for hours before putting their

'delicate, clean, sophisticated' bodies on a simple street pavement...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.