The Itchy And Scratchy Show!

This might seem like a really silly question. :) I've noticed recently that Fenway is quite ticklish. If you scratch at his sides near his tuck he gets the back foot going like Thumper. He's also quite ticklish between his two front legs when he is cockroaching (often!), if you scratch at this area of his chest/belly he gets the same twitchy legs. He also nits at his side/tuck area or his thighs a few times a day, sometimes he really gets going to get that itch really well. This lasts only 30-60 seconds, maybe 2-3 times a day. Grace rarely scratches at herself at all. I've checked for fleas, I don't think that's it. (I'd see them, or flea dirt, right?) I did change his food recently, but I think I started noticing the scratching before the food change, and I put him on a mimicked raw food (Orijen) so but it's chicken and fish, before he ate lamb and rice. Any ideas? It's not constant, and he's not scratching himself raw. I'm pretty sure he was doing this before the food switch, so I don't think it's allergies. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not! Sorry if this is silly and doesn't warrant time and attention H&M. (The tickle leg twitch is quite funny :wub:)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Not a silly question at all. There is another thread going on about this (that of course I can't find). Sounds like Fenway may have some sort of skin irritation or allergy. If not fleas, are the mosquitoes bad? Any sign of insect bites? I'll try to find that other thread and post the link here.

Found it: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=174943

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest taylorsmom

My Lab Lucy has done this a lot in the past and has been diagnosed with a bunch of allergies. Many of her allergies are environmental, like pollen and mold. We got treatment and it really helped, but at its worst I couldn't even touch her body without her scratching or thumping her foot. I would consider getting allergy testing, because it could be a food allergy but also there are many other things that your dog could be allergic to other than food. I even had to stop using the laundry detergent I was using on her bedding and switched to a hypo-allergenic one!!

Can you tell if his skin is looking pinker? My Lucy had food allergies and she would really chew at herself and her skin would be really pink.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest BooMooandDoo

I remember you saying that he was itchy before the "big switch"

For food allergies look for the following

Licking the feet

Rubbing the face

Red inflammed belly

Licking the bum

It could be environmental . . .especially with your yard being torn up. . . lord knows what the landlord uncovered. .. . .I think that poor boy just needs a nice bath ;)

I'd say environmental allergies if he was itchy before the switch. It doesn't sound like he is seriously itchy-if it was-you would see it more.

Example would be, chewing hair off or you not being able to sleep from all the nightitme scratching.

Fenway just had a bath after the picnic today, so we'll see if that helps. I'll apply frontline in a few days too.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest Redrabbit

This is exactly the time of year Buster suffers from allergies. Two years ago he ended up with a cortisone shot because his scratching was constant. Bath was no help at all. The vet said to start giving him over the counter allergy medicine - two in morning/ two in evening - in July and continue through September. Last year it worked great although he eventually figured out there was a little something extra in the food bowl and ate around the pills. I buy the store brand tablets which are usually buy one get one free. So far so good again this year.

Rachel