How Many Have Not Had Dentals?

Guest ss556

Guest rosebudd
Roo didn't have a dental cleaning when I adopted him, and his teeth were NASTY. A few months with raw meaty bones to chew on, and they sparkled. My dogs (of various breeds) are 10, 8, and Roo is 4, and none of them have ever had dentals. I tell ya, bones do the trick!!!

so what kinda bones I want to get leo some but I am a vegie person and dont eat the meat!

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frank has not had one in the 5 years I have had him; raw meaty bones help keep his teeth clean but they are getting a little scrungy looking, I am going to ask about it at our next vet visit.

Roo didn't have a dental cleaning when I adopted him, and his teeth were NASTY. A few months with raw meaty bones to chew on, and they sparkled. My dogs (of various breeds) are 10, 8, and Roo is 4, and none of them have ever had dentals. I tell ya, bones do the trick!!!

so what kinda bones I want to get leo some but I am a vegie person and dont eat the meat!

Large raw turkey necks are great for their teeth. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Our Lucky had great teeth. She had a dental before we adopted her but in the 3 1/2 years we had her before she passed away she didn't have one or need one. Meanwhile our other grey Silver has awful teeth so he gets them. We just adopted Holly so I guess we'll see. She seems to have nice teeth.

Kim, Silver and Holly

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Guest RooMomma

Large raw turkey necks are great for their teeth. :)

I give those, plus beef knuckle bones (soup bones). They love them! I give each one every week or two.

It is so great that so many of you have not had to have dentals for your greys - I am curious as to what everyone is doing that is keeping these wonderful greys teeth so good.

My dogs are partly raw fed, which probably helps, and they get dental chews at least once a day. I buy the Pedigree dental chews which are like long sticks which have a cross-shaped .. um .. cross section. :P They also get dried tripe sticks, pig ears, and dental biscuits.

I do brush their teeth, but though REnie has no problem with it, Jack hates, loathes and detests it. I have him at the point where he'll tolerate it, but he's such a nervous little guy that I am reluctant to push in case he is put off altogether, so he's not brushed as often as I'd like.

I take any small amounts of tartar off with a descaler, but while Jack allows me to do a little, it takes a LOT of patience for a small result. He has the 'bad mouth' that some greyhounds do have. The gums recede, the necks of the teeth erode extremely quickly, and he loses teeth. The vet keeps an eye on them and we do the antibiotics when necessary, but the poor guy is almost certainly going to end up toothless. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Just thought I'd add a pic I took yesterday of my eight and a half year old Renie's teeth. It hasn't been photoshopped - you can see that there is some staining on the canines and the incisors, but there is no tartar and she's never had a dental.

ReniesTeethJuly07-800.jpg

Having both Renie and Jack, I now know from personal experience that there are greyhounds with naturally good teeth, and greyhounds with naturally bad ones. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Ivy (will be 11 in November) and Soldi (will be 8 next month) never, ever had any dental.

I add a pic of Soldi's teeth. She just has wonderful teeth.

Sandface.jpg

Ivy's teeth are not so beautiful but still beautiful enough to not undergo a dental at the vet put under...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

None of mine have had dentals since their dentals they had when I adopted them. Latte needs a dental, his front teeth are icky...but he's a puppy mill IG and I think he is just genetically predisposed to bad dental health.

Ace's teeth don't really look bad at all, but I think I will take her for a dental pretty soon, they could use a cleaning. I also wonder if the little bit of tartar she's got built up has contributed to the kidney/bladder problems she's had...I figure it couldn't hurt to get those pearlies cleaned up a bit.

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

All the crew except Carrie had their teeth cleaned as part of their pre-adoption medical work. Wren is at 4+ years since her dental and I've never brushed her teeth or used any specific dental product, and the vet and I have scaled the top of her upper canines twice in that time. Other than that, she has no need for a dental.

Tyler was at least three years without a dental or any dental care, and he still didn't need one when he died.

Carrie did have a dental when she first came to us and had to have an upper molar removed. She doesn't chew on that side of her mouth if she can help it, so I have a wonderful exhibit to show people how the raw diet cleans teeth - the side she chews her RMB's on looks wonderful, while the other side could stand a dental. She's at a little over three years since her last dental, and I think our vet will recommend a dental when we visit her later this week.

I don't believe Marcus had one, but he was with us only 14 months, and was on the raw diet most of that time.

Frazzle had two within the space of four months, and was in sore need of another when he died. We were planning how we were going to do it with his laryngeal tieback. He was not on the raw diet - didn't like it.

Symbra has been with us only 8 months, but her teeth look great.

I attribute my fairly consistent results to the raw diet.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest Baloos_Mom

We haven't needed any yet but both my ex-racers had them done prior to adoption..while being neutered. I have only had Baloo for 3 years and Dylan for a year. My Annabelle...we have had since she was a pup and she will be 9 in November. Her teeth were not bad but she had a lump that needed removed so I had her teeth done while she was under...that was almost 3 years ago and all is still well.