How Many Have Not Had Dentals?

Guest ss556

Guest ss556

Since Alan has never had a dental, and since I read about so many having them, I was curious to see how many of you out there have Greys that have NOT had dentals. Also, is there something milder (not going "under") that a Vet or Dentist Vet can do - I don't mean brushing or rinsing. Thanks.

Sadi has never had one....and my bridgekids Mulder and Scully never had one either. I scale my pups teeth as required and this seems to do the trick...that and good genes probably :unsure

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

We are very fortunate that our vet is able to descale our hounds teeth without putting them under with anesthesia. This year, since we started daily teeth brushings, only one hound needed the descaling. I would love to learn how to do this myself if anyone has resources/suggestions.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Maisy and Lizzie have never had dentals. Chad and Bella each got one when they arrived because they each had an issue, no need for another since.

Renie has never had one, she's eight and a half and her teeth are good! She has them all, though one has a chip, which has never caused her any problems.

They're a little brown in places, particularly her bottom incisors, but when I asked the vet if anything could be done about that, he said there was no tartar to remove so ... no, not really. :lol

I take any build up of tartar off myself with a descaler, too. I know the purists think this is bad because it can scratch the enamel, but it saved my old Jim at least two dentals - he only went in twice, both for trauma, but they cleaned his teeth while they dealt with the broken and infected ones. He died at age thirteen and a half and he never had to go in just for tartar removal.

Susan never had a dental either. The kennel I got both Susan and Renie from give their racers and broods knuckle bones to keep their teeth clean. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia had a dental prior to us adopting her but not after that,,yet. We brush every onther day but she is close to needing it. we too have a dental guy that can scrape without her being put under,,and he comes to your house. Charges 85 bucks,,which i think is well worth it. but on the other hand I wonder if she really needs it or not.

Guest greybookends

All of mine had a dental prior to adoption but since adopting only Tasha has had to have a dental. I had several that were getting close to needing dentals before I went raw since than their teeth are clean. Sheana may need a little scaling at the base of a few of her teeth soon but doesn't need a full dental.

Neither of mine have had one. Zuri only turned 3 in July and has been with me for just under a year, but Neyla, who came off the track at 4 1/2 is now 8 and still hasn't had one. Raw diet baby! :colgate

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest argolola

My girl is 8 1/2 and has never had a dental. She had eye surgery on 7/11/07, but the doctor said a dental was not needed because her teeth are in such good shape. My secret: she gets a JumBone per day.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sadie had one before she came to us, but I don't foresee any need for another.

Spud has not had a dental, and had some pretty funky teeth when he came to us, now has sparklie white choppers :D So no dental for him :)

Out of our 5, only Orion needed one. His teeth were in a terrible state and have been as long as I have known him.

The others have beautiful teeth :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest PiagetsMom

Same here - Piaget had a dental right before she came home last July. She just had her check-up and the vet says her teeth look good, so no need for a dental.

Guest LynnM

I had a foster that went to his adoptive home with sparkly white teeth but no dental. I've had a few that only needed a cursory once-over while anesthetized for their spay/neuter. My Louis had his teeth cleaned when he came to me at 18 months (don't know what they looked like pre-dental), but he just turned 5 and his teeth still look great.

My Joplin, OTOH, just turned 12 and has very few teeth left to rattle around in his head.

Lynn

Guest Bodie

Bodie & Rainy both had dentals before their adoption, but not since. They are both 7 now. I thought Bodie might need one, but the vet said not. Every couple months I carefully knock any plaque off with a scaler. They don't seem to mind this, and it keeps me from feeling like a bad greyhound Mom.

Nobody has mentioned the cost. I priced a dental and it's $250 at my vets. With two greyhounds, and Bodie's already high veterinary bills due to his staph infection, a dental becomes a luxury that just can't be afforded right now.

Guest rosebudd

I had Leo get a dental first because his breath was :sick and second because I use banfield pet hospital and one a year comes with his wellness plan.

Riley has not had a dental in the 5 years I've had time. We use an anesthesia-free dentist and I brush every day, as well as feeding raw bones. You could look for an anesthesia-free dentist in your area. They clean the teeth much like a human dentist cleans our. I am very happy with the results.

Guest SillyDog

My 11 yr old had a dental when he first came to me 3 1/2 years ago and doesn't seem to really need another yet. My 6 yr old also had a dental when I adopted her 3 years ago and I'm hoping to get her in this fall because she does need one.

Guest sassichari

Both mine had theirs done with their spay/neuter pre adoption. But Max wound up with an abscessed tooth 2 months after adoption and had to have two teeth pulled so we had them redone and they are great now! My vet does awake teeth cleaning if the dogs allow it.

Guest RooMomma

Roo didn't have a dental cleaning when I adopted him, and his teeth were NASTY. A few months with raw meaty bones to chew on, and they sparkled. My dogs (of various breeds) are 10, 8, and Roo is 4, and none of them have ever had dentals. I tell ya, bones do the trick!!!

Guest practicepiano
Since Alan has never had a dental, and since I read about so many having them, I was curious to see how many of you out there have Greys that have NOT had dentals. Also, is there something milder (not going "under") that a Vet or Dentist Vet can do - I don't mean brushing or rinsing. Thanks.

Every year, through several vets, we've been told our girls don't need dentals. I've had Willow for about eight years, Lailah for about four. They're raw-fed.

Edited by practicepiano

Guest brindlebrigade

It is so great that so many of you have not had to have dentals for your greys - I am curious as to what everyone is doing that is keeping these wonderful greys teeth so good.

Guest canagreyts

Our male, Nebraska (8 yrs) has had three dentals and has had 29 teeth removed. He has terrible teeth and gingivitis. His gums get really red and sore to the point he'll stop eating. Our vet first tried scaling them when he was awake (which he was very good for) but that treatment wasn't aggressive enough for him.

Our female, Maggie (also 8 yrs) has never had a dental.

I have never had a greyhound who did not have dentals.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg