Flex Kavana-- 9/18/99-7/25/07

Guest MountainHounds

Guest MountainHounds

This morning I did one of the hardest things I've ever had to do and I helped Kavana across the bridge. The last couple of weeks he's really started to go downhill and has been in more pain than the meds were helping to control, so this morning I took him into the vets and held his head in my lap and told him I loved him. I don't know if there are words enough to describe just what he meant to me and I don't know if I am capable of telling what an amazing dog he was.

In January, on a whim I was browsing through the available dogs page on my group's website and came across a picture of a white boy with a greying brindle mask and a huge grin on his face. My first thought was how much he looked like my Kamin and my second thought was that I had to meet this dog in person. I'd been toying with the idea of adopting another hound for a while, Kamin had been an only dog for quite a while, sharing his home with various fosters, none of whom really seemed to fit in to my house well enough that I was ever even close to failing, but from the first second I saw his picture on the website, there was something about Kavana that I knew he was going to come home with me. I found out that he was seven, that he'd been in his foster home since October and that up until that point, there wasn't a single serious inquiry about him. I made arrangements with his foster mom for Kamin and I to meet Kavana on a Friday night. It was January and bitterly cold out with lots of snow still around, so we met at Petsmart and he immediately leaned up against me and I was a goner. I brought him home with the theory that I'd wait a week and see how well he fit in with the kids and the cats and Kamin and then I'd make my decision. I lasted until Tuesday, and then I let my group know that Kavana had found his forever home.

From the start, Kavana came into my house like a whirlwind and within days, it was like he had always been there. He and Kamin got along well, he did great with the cats, he loved the stuffies and toys and hopped up on the furniture like he owned it. The kids adored him and for a while, my little fur family was complete and perfect. Then in March, three days after my father suffered a major stroke, Kavana started limping. I was already an emotional wreck when I took him into the vets office and x-rays confirmed my worst nightmare, my baby had cancer. For several months, he did fine, the pain meds that he was on seemed to keep him happy and pain-free. I failed fostering with Praxis and he and Kavana were inseparable, to watch them play, you would never be able to tell which one was the two year old.

It was only after adopting Kavana and researching his life before adoption did I realize just what a special dog he was. Kavana raced 78 races, including the race of his lifetime in 2001 when he won the $50,000 Colorado Classic Stakes. Several weeks ago, I was given a great gift when I was contacted by Dr. Mok, who had taken care of Kavana and his littermates during his racing career. He was able to tell me about Kavana as a young dog and racer, how so much of the confidence and happiness that I saw in him as a pet was a huge part of him as a racer. He sent me video of Kavana's race career and I got to see my dog fly.

He did so well in the months following his diagnosis that I was starting to feel hopeful that he might make it all the way to his eighth birthday in September, but the last couple of weeks gave us instead a marked deterioration, he started having more and more bad days, he got much more irratible, snapping and snarling at the other dogs, his appetite waned some and he lost a little weight. He no longer wanted to play with the toys he loved so much and he abandoned his cushy bed and the furniture and instead chose to lay on the wood floor, but even with that, he was always still there to greet me at the door, with a huge smile and tail going a mile a minute. This morning when we walked into the office, he greeted the staff with kisses and wags, then he lay down on the blanket, put his head in my lap and let me love on him until the end. It was fast and it was painless, the staff at the office was incredible and I said goodbye to my boy.

Godspeed sweetie, I love you.

Picture001-4.jpg

100_1472.jpg

Picture018-2.jpg

Picture027-2.jpg

Picture008-6.jpg

Picture017-4.jpg

Picture004-12.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlackandBrindle

:grouphug :grouphug

I've followed all of your posts about Kavana and always thought what a special brave boy he was. I'm so sorry for your loss.

What a greyt tribute for a wonderful, handsome boy. I'm sorry for your loss and that cancer has taken yet another of our babies.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Godspeed Kavana! He was a lucky boy to have found you. f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Flights of angels....goodbye sweet Kavana :cry1

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm so sorry.... It's wonderful that you found each other, even though your time together was so short - he knew he was loved :grouphug

I am so sorry for your loss. Your boy was very special and handsome. Thank you for sharing your memories.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your boy. Your tribute to him brought tears to my eyes and it is wonderful

that you gave him a loving home. Run free sweetheart.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I am so sorry for your loss! Run free, sweet boy!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)