Euthanasia Question

Guest SusanP

Guest LynnM
Thanks for your input everyone. I'll talk everything over with my vet when the dust settles. It wasn't too, too awful, but she just seemed a little panicky and tried to sit up, turning her head this way and that, and hard to comfort--It really didn't last long, but I'd never seen that in my other animals during euthanasia. The vet attributed it to her having "funny feelings" or "seeing pink elephants" as the drug began to affect her. It was a short time after the injection, not right away at all...so was it likely to be physical pain or psychological? I'm getting the impression from some of the posts that it could have been either.

Another issue that's been troubling me--I keep hearing that lethal injection for humans is now recognized not to be as humane as was once believed. Does this have any relevance to the way animals are put down, or are we talking about two different kettles of fish?

Nope... the way it is done with criminals involves administering Potassium Chloride to stop the heart AFTER a sedative (a barbituate, but not the same one as is used in animals) and paralytic are given. If, say, the paralytic causes inability to breathe before the patient is fully anesthetized, that is not good. Same with if the KCl is administered before loss of consciousness, since it causes a very painful burning sensation.

In animals, Pentobarbitol Sodium or a solution containing it and another drug (so that it's Schedule III and not Schedule II Controlled Substance) is administered at such a high dosage that loss of consciousness occurs much more rapidly than any later effects (respiratory arrest, cardiac arrest). In this, as in many things, a simpler approach is best. Sedation with other meds (Torb, ace, valium, etc) can be helpful in making it go smoother, as can placing an IV catheter. Many vets choose to place an IV if the euthanasia is to be done with the owner(s) present. Euthasol and similar solutions DO sting- they contain alcohol- but the animal does lose consciousness very quickly.

Lynn

Edited by LynnM

Guest Winterwish

Susan I'm so sorry for your loss and how it was for you. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

It was upsetting, particularly since we were choosing to let him go a few days sooner than may have been necessary. Marcus and Frazzle were both IV sedation, and they just fell asleep peacefully.

I am sorry about Simon.

Thank you for sharing that dmswartzfager. :grouphug

...In this, as in many things, a simpler approach is best. Sedation with other meds (Torb, ace, valium, etc) can be helpful in making it go smoother, as can placing an IV catheter. Many vets choose to place an IV if the euthanasia is to be done with the owner(s) present. Euthasol and similar solutions DO sting- they contain alcohol- but the animal does lose consciousness very quickly.

Lynn

Thank you for posting this LynnM.

Guest Oh_Greyt

The euthanasia solution for pets is basically an overdose of a drug formerly used for anesthesia... So they are theoretically unconscious first. As LynnM said, it can sting but that's the worst of it.

Also, the halucination suggestion sounds valid too as an explanation for why she seemed so unsettled. Many of the sedatives can cause this as well.

Guest SusanP

Thanks for your patient explanations and words of comfort, everyone. Honestly, Simon's euthanasia didn't go that badly at all, just a little stressful at that one point. I'm still glad we were able to do that for her. It's a wonderful thing to be able to see your little one safely through when there's nothing else that can be done for her, and our whole family knew in our hearts it was time. I can't say I'm feeling a lot better today (Had to take my other old girl in to have a broken molar extracted this a.m. and started crying as soon as I saw the vet's office) but a little, anyway. I know, I know, it just takes time... thanks, everybody.

{{{{{{{{{{Susan}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My friend's Airedale Terrier got those uncontrolled movements after the preeutanasia shot. It was very

disturbing to look at...My GSD got a cramp-like movement in his whole body and he moaned...very disturbing

too... having to put a dog to sleep is the most disagreable thing ever...at least the vets could try to avoid

these disagreable last moments for the dog and the owner...I would guess, it depends on the vet.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest LynnM
at least the vets could try to avoid

these disagreable last moments for the dog and the owner...I would guess, it depends on the vet.

The only way to do that is to not allow the owner the choice of whether or not to be present for the procedure.

Lynn

Guest luluaz

Hugs, Susan... :f_red

When Marie went, quiet.

When Dyce went, shuddering and large last breath.

Very hard, though I understand the science.

Here come those tears again, drat-

Lisa

Run like the wind, Simon! :gh_run

I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:candle

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

at least the vets could try to avoid

The only way to do that is to not allow the owner the choice of whether or not to be present for the procedure.

Lynn

Why do some dogs like my Borzoi pass so peacefully and without any disturbing reaction and others pass

having those uncontrolled movements etc? What does it depend on?

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Depends partly on the individual dog's reaction to the initial drug used. For B, the vet placed a catheter in a leg vein and then used IV Valium. He fell asleeeeeeeeeeeeep.

FWIW, when Joseph has gone in for surgical procedures, the vet has had a lot of trouble getting him asleep for intubation. They use Propofol for that. Joseph evidently fights falling asleep so vet has had to mask him down. Haven't had this trouble with any of our other dogs so far.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LynnM

Circulation or lack thereof (many illnesses can cause poor circulation), quality of the animal's veins how "on edge" the animal is, if the animal is ill or not (not all animals euthanized are physically ill), or just the individual animal- just like you and I may handle different medications differently.

Lynn