Comfrey For Fracture Healing

Guest figbykal

Guest figbykal

Has anyone used any holistic approaches in aiding the healing time in a greyt that has a rear right hock fracture? I have read that some ointments that contain comfrey help accelerate bone repair and reduce internal bruising. Has anyone tried this?

Thank you :colgate

K

Not that, but we've had great success with Traumeel gel (homeopathic topical treatment, combo remedy) it took Lou's bruising and swelling down beautifully, and also the homeopathic tinctures symphytum and arnica (internally). All of these would be excellent to use for a broken hock.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest cjsgreys

Can traumeel be used after surgery to repair a broken hock? We change bandages every couple of days for the first 2 weeks so I was wondering if Traumeel could be put on the leg during a bandage change. How about on/near the incision?

Christine

You would avoid the actual incision line, but I put it right up next to it, like an 1/8th of an inch away. Also, the gel is very cooling, more so than the cream, if you can get it. It is an alcohol based gel, and it did dry Lou's skin, so I used pure aloe gel after the first week to moisturize the dry areas.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest longdogs

A folk name for comfrey is 'knit-bone'. On that basis I have often seen comfrey pills or ointment recommended for helping to heal fractures. A little research shows that in fact the pulverised root was used as a poultice on fractures as it sets like a crude plaster-of-paris. Eating the stuff, or rubbing in ointment, will do fractures no good at all.