Best Otc Medicine For The Big D

Chloe has the big D for the very 1st time. And I mean Big D.

Which over the counter meds work the best? How much of whatever for a 70 pound dog?

Imodium or Pepto and how much for each?

I want to pick it up for her 1st thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I've used both, sometimes one works better then the other. An adult dose or one caplet.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest PhillyPups

Immodium works well, I would want to be careful not to mask any symptoms of something going on medically by stopping it....

Immodium works well, I would want to be careful not to mask any symptoms of something going on medically by stopping it....

So, should I try and clear it up with some rice in her diet and wait 3 days?

I had planned on taking her to vet if after 3 days there was no change.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest PhillyPups

I would try diet and possibly a sample to the vet to see if there is anything going on in her gut that you may want to treat. If they had the D for one day, I don't worry, but more than they they can dehydrate so quickly, I don't chance it. I used to give immodium immediately till a very grey savvy friend ( :wave if she is reading this) advised to see if you can find out the cause first, could be something going on that is masked.

OK , I just fed them breakfast, DH Is walking them. Hopefully, she will poop and we will take it from there. Thanks. I'll keep the imodium in the house just in case.

thanks a bunch!

Guest PhillyPups

Is it possible she ate something at the playtime yesterday that her stomach is not used to?? Just reading the other thread made me think of this one. :dunno

Is it possible she ate something at the playtime yesterday that her stomach is not used to?? Just reading the other thread made me think of this one. :dunno

Nope, she woke up with it yesterday. Didn't poop on the walk this morning but has been out back 2x already this morning. We'll watch it today, check the yard and if not better by tomorrow morning, I'll bring a sample in to the vet. I alwasy err on the side of precaution.

Guest BlackandBrindle

When we were battling Spud's chronic diarrhea, I used a bland diet more than immodium. The only time I gave him some, and it worked well, was when he'd had diarrhea for two days after eating half the pantry...

I'd fast her for 24 hours and then start with a bland diet. Hope she feels better soon!

Guest Tenderhearts

I agree. I would give it a day or two and switch over to a bland diet to see if that helps.

Nothing but kibble today with 1/2 cup white rice mixed in with each meal. No Immodian. Her poop on tonights walk was majorly better. Not 100% but it's headed in the right direction.

We bought the Immodian to have in the house, but looks like this will hopefully clear up on it's own. I'll stick to the white rice and kibble for the next 24 hours and hopefully by tomorrow eve, it will be back to normal.

Thanks for all the input.

Raspberry leaf has worked wonders for Raven where Imodium and pumpkin have failed. You can buy it in capsule form at the health food store. I pop two 400 mg capsules down her throat twice a day when she has diarrhea and it stops it almost immediately.

I also withhold food for 24 hours, then feed her boiled white rice and chicken broth for a day, then mix rice and kibble till she's back to normal.

FYI--Raspberry leaf is also excellent for Big D in humans as well as menstrual cramps. :)

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Canned pumpkin has done miracles for Kelsey's GI issues. We give her about 2 tablespoons or more each day and not only has it firmed up her stools (which have at times contained mucus and blood), but it has just about elminated her stinky farting. This is especially important since she goes to the office each day with her Lackey! :P

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.