Another Oscar Question - Assessing Pain

I took Oscar for a very short walk this evening. He'd had his rimadyl about 3 hours before and a dose of tramacet a bit earlier. About 11 houses worth of distance (we were on our way back), he stopped to sniff some grass and then wouldn't move any more. His head was bent down a bit, scary looking if you didn't know him. I'm used to him stopping like that so I usually wait a moment and then say very cheerfully, "ok buddy! time to get moving," and start walking. Didn't work today as it didn't last week when I knew he was in pain. But what made me really worry was that he was standing stock still and his nose began to drip - a sure sign of stress.

The only stress that he would have been under was pain. I called DH with my cell to come and get us but just as he answered the phone, Oscar began walking on his own and we made it home.

Do you think that was pain or just something that he did/does?

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

No way to know what Oscar was telling you, but sending prayers. :hope:grouphug

If that happens on the next walk I would cut the walk down by a couple of houses.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Thanks folks. Yes, he does pant a lot, more than most greys I've met. Never sure if it's pain or not. Silly pup.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Guest greytexplorer
No way to know what Oscar was telling you, but sending prayers. :hope:grouphug

If that happens on the next walk I would cut the walk down by a couple of houses.

I think I would shorten the very next walk!

:kiss2

Guest smarthound

I notice that Oscar is taking rimadyl. Has he been checked for lumbosacral stenosis? The locking up you described was the first indication we had that one of our boys had LS. The first time it lasted for an hour or so. The second time it happened was far more serious. You might want to talk to your vet about this.

Hope all goes well.