Starting Supplements?

Our local park had a civil war reenactment. We took both Carolina and Jake to walk around, listened to the bag pipes etc. Jake is by no means an excellent walker. He was very excited and ready to go. He only laid down once for a few minutes. We spent nearly two hours there just walking around and talking. Towards the end Jake started to limp badly on his front foot, but only on the pavement, he was fine on the grass. So I kept him on the grass for the remained of the time we were there. He walked back to the car no problem and he seems just fine again. I checked his foot and didn't see anything wrong. Do you think it was just too much for him? He will be 7 in the fall. Should I be thinking about starting him on supplements?

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Nora had a knee injury that inflamed a tendon. We were afraid it might tear, so we limited her exercise and the vet gave us something called "Liquid Health Level 5000." She was on that (and rest!) for about 4 months, and recovered from her fall. That was over a year ago, and still no troubles! You just spoon some over food, and it wasn't terribly expensive. I think the jury is still out though, whether glucosamine *actually* helps, but that is a product we used.

"Mrs. Bass was a poor teacher, a phrase which here does not mean "a teacher who doesn't have a lot of money" but "a teacher who is obsessed with the metric system." --Lemony Snicket

"Do you want to convert from the hydrocarbon economy to the carbohydrate economy?" --Rep. Jim Oberstar

Guest BlackandBrindle

I think glucosamine is always a good supplement, as well as some kind of fish oil. We use Grizzly Salmon Oil.

Hugs and scritches to handsome Jake. (Did you see anything on his pad? Sadie got something stuck in her paw before Solvang, and when walking would limp on the sidewalk but was find on grass)

That sounds a lot less like a joint problem than a corn or foreign body in the pad or between the toes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't see anything today except for grass stuck to his pads. Towards the end we were on grass talking to a lady that was interested in adopting, we spend a good 5 or 10 minutes with her. After that we got back on the pavement and walked to the car. He was fine then and no problems today.

Walking is a bit of a stretch. It's more like pulling all over the place and never ending sniffing.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15