Going Back To The Vet Tomorrow

Well, we're going back to the original greyhound-savvy vet tomorrow. It will be a tight fit timewise as I have to bring my dd to the airport to the north and then we have to go an hour to the south with Oscar. Ah, how nice it is to be needed. :rolleyes:

This vet is going to follow Dr. Couto's medication protocol suggestion of tramadol and a few other meds combined. On one hand, Oscar seems a lot happier and better (jumping, that one run in the back yard), but he still seems to be in pain and can't walk far. So, we'll see what this dr says as he saw Oscar at his worst two weeks ago.

Thanks for all the good thoughts for the O-man. He's my sweetie, for sure.

Saturday afternoon update:

We went to see our new vet - what a nice man. Of course he's nice, he has two of his own greyhounds. :colgate

He could see that Oscar still has a pronounced limp on the left side but he was significantly better from two weeks before. He still has difficulty turning the head completely to the left and resisted it but not as badly as before. In his opinion, it's very unlikely it's cancer, he said that it had crossed his mind but if it had been, it would have been the very fast moving one and Oscar would have gone downhill very quickly.

It is more likely that this is a chronic disc injury that he may have had when he came to us. I have always said, from the very beginning, that Oscar had a bit of an odd walk with his front paws. Anyway, we have switched to Dr. Couto's recommended protocol for this type of injury, tramadol/anti-inflammatory/pepcid. We can to to a steroid if needed down the road. It's not going to be cheap for the medication, but we'll do what we have to do.

Oh, and that day that Oscar was in such severe pain? That was the evening after he saw the vet and now the vet thinks that the pain was from the manipulation of his neck when he was checking him that morning. So, as soon as we came into the house, I gave Oscar one of my Tramacet, which is the same thing as Tramadol but with acetomeniphen and the dr okayed that. I didn't want Oscar to suffer like he did that night.

So, now I'll order the harness, get him his meds and we'll get past this thing. Surgery will likely be in his future down the road if the disc deteriorates to the point that he is in too much pain or can't function, but for now, it looks like medical intervention is all we need. Fingers and paws crossed.

Thanks so much every one. I pray that others with sick or hurting hounds that they get the same wonderful care that Oscar is now getting.

(by the way, I had forwarded my email conversation with Dr. Couto to the vet and he was very happy to now have a contact for Dr. Couto. He said that he would be in touch with him for sure as he has about 45 greyhounds in his practice. Everything happens for a reason.)

Edited by mareyeka

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Sending prayers for Oscar. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

All fingers, paws, and toes crossed for Oscar.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending many prayers for Oscar. :grouphug

Oxcar...dis iz Lacers...youz gotta get bedder dude. :kiss2

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending prayers for Oscar.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Snowy8
:candleOscar...if mommy would get you a soft touch keypad for your computer, and a beautiful masseus for your neck & shoulder after writing your diary all day, maybe you'd feel better. I will put you in my prayers through out the day for complete restoration & healing my sweet puppy man. And for your mommy to not be stressed out about this. Hers too sweet.

I'm so glad that Oscar is feeling a bit better and now there is a plan to get the boy back to his old self. Looks like something good came out of all of this, especially for your vet! Give that boy a hug for me. Now you can relax a little.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest BlackandBrindle

I hope Oscar continues to improve on the new medicine protocol. Sending lots of love and scritches to the handsome fella :)

Sending more prayers for continued recovery. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.