Update On Bodie's Skin Condition - Skin Culture Results

Guest Bodie

Guest Bodie

In my last post, I told you that Bodie had been to the dermatologist/veterinarian and had skin cultures that were to be read and returned in about a week. It took ten days. In the meantime, Bodie took yet another turn for the worse. Last week, despite being on pain medication, Bodie cried day and night. And I don't mean little whimpers. Every time he rolled over, he produced a big yelp. The sounds were so piercing, the entire household was losing sleep. When he walked, he refused to use his right front foot, yet I could touch and probe all over that foot and produce not so much as a whimper. I had no idea what was wrong with him. His sore areas did not look that bad.

I was at wit's end - the vet wanted to wait for the skin cultures before doing anything. I felt lost in the "system". When I called the vet, practically in tears, after the third sleepless night, we finally got results. Phone calls were made, the test returned, and it was determined that Bodie has an extremely drug-resistant staph infection. Now he is on a double-dose of a highly potent antibiotic for the next thirty days. Best news for the household, though, is that the vet prescribed a new painkiller that works - the crying is very minimal now, almost nonexistent. Bodie has been on the antibiotic for two days, and he seems a bit better: he's up more often, he's started following me around a little bit more, and he's started to use that right front foot again, although he limps. I'm hopeful, but I've started antibiotics before that seem to start out helping, then fizzle.

My concern is the Grapehound Wine Tour next week. We have had this booked for months - in fact, it is our vacation this year. Bodie had a greyt time last year - treats at all the wineries, tons of greyhounds - what's not to love? He's very social and loves these sort of events. Should I take him along or not?

If I take him, my concern is that he will get overtired and sicker. I could leave him in our B&B, if he tires out, as he is very good when he's left alone, but that's not much fun for him. And if he went along to N.Y., I would be able to keep an eye on him and moniter his condition. And the excitement and distraction of mixing with other greyhounds might pick him up. (What he has is not, in any way, contagious.)

If I leave him at home, he would be in the care of my nineteen year old daughter, who is very responsible and he could get plenty of rest. However, if he takes a downturn, she will have no vehicle to take him to the vet and no way to get him help.

So, I'm torn about what is the best thing to do - for Bodie. What would you do if Bodie was your greyhound?

Rhonda

I would bring him. :) I'd say let him come along to the wineries as long as he's perky, and when he seems tired, bring him back to your room (assuming it's okay with your hosts) for rest breaks. That's what I'm planning to do with our senior gal Chancy. Leaving him home with your daughter would be fine I'm sure, but the lack of transport if he needed to go to the vet would make me a nervous wreck. There are vets in the area at Grapehounds, I saw some info on their website if I recall...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fresno98

Hi--

This is my first visit as I'm new to this forum.

With respect to Bodie, I would ask the vet before taking him around other dogs who may have suppressed immune systems. I don't know if there is a difference in how staph is contracted in dogs vs. humans, but I'm a nursing student and have had patients with staph infections that are antibiotic-resistant--MRSA, and VRE. We have to suit up in gowns and gloves and cannot take items in and out of their rooms because of possible transmission of staph on our clipboards and pens. Just something to think about.

Today, my greyhound, Fresno, was diagnosed with a drug resistant staph infection, and I'm scared to death. 2 weeks ago, he broke his right front leg (again). Before getting him to his first post-op checkup and cast change, he developed a skin ulcer beside the incision due to skin surface tension and the skin rubbing on the metal plate used to repair the bone. He had to have another surgery to bring the edges of the wound together in addition to having pressure relieving incisions placed around his leg. The cultures from the ulcer came back with drug resistant staph. Wonderful. I know the long drawn out process with humans. What can I expect with Fresno? He will be receiving IV antibiotics that could potentially damage his kidneys--yikes! He will remain in the hospital probably the rest of the week. Has anyone had a grey that went through this and has had a full recovery? Any additional information may relieve my anxiety regarding Fresno. I'm just so worried about him based on what I see in my patients at the human hospital. Thanks in advance.

Guest Bodie
Hi--

With respect to Bodie, I would ask the vet before taking him around other dogs who may have suppressed immune systems. I don't know if there is a difference in how staph is contracted in dogs vs. humans, but I'm a nursing student and have had patients with staph infections that are antibiotic-resistant--MRSA, and VRE. We have to suit up in gowns and gloves and cannot take items in and out of their rooms because of possible transmission of staph on our clipboards and pens. Just something to think about.

By the date of your posting, Bodie has gone and returned from Grapehounds. I based his not being contagious on the fact that every veterinarian I asked has said he is not contagious, no vet (and he has seen many) has suggested that I isolate him, and my other greyhound and cat have not come down with infections of any sort.

I took him to Grapehounds to pick up his depressed spirits and that did work, but the trip did tire him out a great deal. I'm still not sure if I should have taken him or not, but I did and he seems none the worse for it, except being tired. The good thing about the trip is that I had many people ask me why he was wearing shoes AND socks and after I explained, I met some wonderful people with suggestions. I also met people whose dogs had had a staph infections and recovered just fine, which eased my mind. By the way - the socks worked beautifully. They kept the Therapaws from rubbing against his sore ankles and he seemed a lot happier with them.

As for your dog's staph, I can't answer to how the treatment will work as Bodie is on oral antibiotics at double strength for thirty days. We are having slow, steady, positive results with that, although the true test will be what happens when he stops the antibiotics. Bodie's staph may also be different from your dog's as it didn't result from an injury - it just happened - possibly from allergies, but they are now thinking the staph may have given a false positive reading on the allergies. Basically, the derm/vet is trying to clear the staph, then find the cause of it.

We have been fighting this for over six months and while it has depressed Bodie's spirits, it hasn't affected his overall health in any other way. It's just seemingly impossible to clear up.

Hi--

Today, my greyhound, Fresno, was diagnosed with a drug resistant staph infection, and I'm scared to death. 2 weeks ago, he broke his right front leg (again). Before getting him to his first post-op checkup and cast change, he developed a skin ulcer beside the incision due to skin surface tension and the skin rubbing on the metal plate used to repair the bone. He had to have another surgery to bring the edges of the wound together in addition to having pressure relieving incisions placed around his leg. The cultures from the ulcer came back with drug resistant staph. Wonderful. I know the long drawn out process with humans. What can I expect with Fresno? He will be receiving IV antibiotics that could potentially damage his kidneys--yikes! He will remain in the hospital probably the rest of the week. Has anyone had a grey that went through this and has had a full recovery? Any additional information may relieve my anxiety regarding Fresno. I'm just so worried about him based on what I see in my patients at the human hospital. Thanks in advance.

You must be very worried about your boy. I have no real advice except I bet that yes he will recover just based on the amazing stories read here. You will always get more responses if you start your own thread. But do use the consult email Burpdog gave you to Ohio State! You will get a response and they will work with your vets as well. Good luck

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Bodie

"But do use the consult email Burpdog gave you to Ohio State! You will get a response and they will work with your vets as well. "

Yes, I forgot to mention that things didn't start to turn around for Bodie until I took him out to Ohio State University to see Dr. Couto. He got the head of dermatology, Dr. Hillier, involved and Dr. Hillier linked me to Dr. Jeffers, a dermatological veterinarian, in Gaithersburg, MD, which is close enough for me to commute to, as needed. Dr. Jeffers keeps in contact with Dr. Hillier and Dr. Couto. Between the three of them, they have helped turn Bodie around. It may not be going as fast as I like, but at least now he's making progress. By all means, contact OSU with your concerns. You will get a response. The people at OSU are wonderful!

Guest Fresno98
"But do use the consult email Burpdog gave you to Ohio State! You will get a response and they will work with your vets as well. "

Yes, I forgot to mention that things didn't start to turn around for Bodie until I took him out to Ohio State University to see Dr. Couto. He got the head of dermatology, Dr. Hillier, involved and Dr. Hillier linked me to Dr. Jeffers, a dermatological veterinarian, in Gaithersburg, MD, which is close enough for me to commute to, as needed. Dr. Jeffers keeps in contact with Dr. Hillier and Dr. Couto. Between the three of them, they have helped turn Bodie around. It may not be going as fast as I like, but at least now he's making progress. By all means, contact OSU with your concerns. You will get a response. The people at OSU are wonderful!

Thank you all for your replies. I plan to contact OSU as soon as I finish this post. Just got off the phone with the vet and he confirmed that Fresno's staph is MRSA. So, I know we have a long road ahead of us, but I will do what I have to do to get him well. Thanks again for responses on this.

Good luck with Bodie.

Hopefully, I'll have threads and all that figured out soon....