Scars On Our Doggies

Guest hllb

Just wondering if the hair will eventually grow back on track scars? I think it does (at least it does on horses) but I wanted to check.

I can really only speak for my girls. Nadia has a prominent scar on her side. She's eight and has been off the track for four years. There hair hasn't (and won't likely) grow back. Greyhounds have such a short coat (and there is no undercoat) that scars that might disappear on other breeds remain visible on our hounds.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest Tigonie

Emma had some kind of scratch on her nose when she came to us, and the fur grew back white, just in that little stripe. She's had a couple of small cuts on her side since we got her, and the hair grew back eventually. How big are the track scars?

Guest jsk4x

Chewie has a triangular scar on his side. The hypotenuse is probably about an inch and a half. It's hairless even though he is a very furry greyhound.

They're pretty small - both dogs have some (we're chipping on Friday!). It's no biggie - I just didn't know if it would grow back or not.

Scar tissue doesn't have hair follicles, so I doubt that any fur will grow on them. Atlas has a bunch of a scars from his final race when he fell. They still look the same today as they did 3 years ago when he came home.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest PiagetsMom

Piaget has several "battle" scars from her younger days at the farm with littermates - some required staples, some didn't. She's also got some scarring from her surgery on her broken hock. My understanding is that the hair doesn't grow back.......I've had her for a year and her scars remain the same.

Guest sassichari

Based on my experience from my first grey Nala that I hd for 7 years ,none of the hair grew back over her scars.Looking at Max's multiple scars it dosen't appear that his will either-he has scars on his side and nose.

Guest KennelMom

Some scars shrink over time and the surrounding hair will cover up. I think it depends on the dog. Stella came to us with large scar on her side and now it's barely noticeable. She also has really no noticeable scars anywhere. Echo, OTOH, has little scars all over - some she came with, others she's gotten from playing or running through the wooded part of our property from little sticks and things. Her scars never seem to go away or get smaller. I've noticed similar things on other dogs....some seem to have scars that have shrunk over time, others' scars don't seem to.

Of course, we don't call them scars in this house. They are "proof of life experience" ;)

The hypotenuse is probably about an inch and a half.

Add this to the list of words I never thought I'd read on GreyTalk :lol:P

Non of the "scars" on my three dogs have any indication of any hair regrowth on them. Beau has a very large one on his side that should have been stitched but wasn't. The other 2 have smaller ones but non of them have hair regrowing on the actual scar itself.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest DoofBert

My experience is both... some scars disappeared under new hair... others did not.

You might try rubbing with Vitamin E oil. We were houndsitting and the boys got into some wild play. Dakota had a run in with the fence.... No stitched required, but we had long scratch. It healed. When his momma came back home, the scab had healed over....she swore that by puttng vitamin e oil on the scab, the hair would grow back. It did.

However, enither one of us are vets or even vet techs....

So, will they scars go away? All we can offer is a semi-definite qualified maybe...

As with most things in life :lol

What about the bare butt cheeks? Nikki doesn't have a problem with that, but the new pup is quite bare back there!

I think it also depends on where on the body the scar is. I see lots of dogs with little scars on their legs, not much hair there.

I've seen my dogs get scars (at home from running into things) on shoulders, especially, and they seem to cover with hair eventually.

What about the bare butt cheeks? Nikki doesn't have a problem with that, but the new pup is quite bare back there!

Now to that one, I can give you a definate "Perhaps" :lol

I've seen it go both ways. I've also seen a hairy-butt go to a bald-butt post-adoption.

So, will they scars go away? All we can offer is a semi-definite qualified maybe...

As with most things in life :lol

Same with that. Honey and Kara have nice furry butts. Nadia's butt has that Telly Savalas look and shows no real signs of regrowth (but I have caught her watching those late night hair product ads lately :) )

Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Guest SquanHound

Ping has a bommerang shaped scar on his neck from racing days and a 12 stitch scar from running into a bush shortly after we got him (the squirrel won that day!). Both are covered by the surrounding fur, but they are noticable to me since I know where they are and the fur is not as full in those areas. As for fuzzy butts - Ping has always had fur there, but it has gotten considerably fuller since we started him on fish oil capsuls. It took a while to see the results of the oil, but now he has a very full, soft and no longer flakey coat.

My bridge girl Maggie had the most scars of any of mine or any that I ever fostered. She was quite a scrapper when she raced, and would plow her way through the pack. The first time I saw her I was afraid that her scars and part of her left ear being gone might put adopters off. I wasn't looking to chip, had just gotten my heart girl Molly four months before, but I took her home. She was such an outgoing happy, goofy girl. A lot of her scars did cover over but those that were deeper never did.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia didn't come with any track scars,,,I am sure she never got into it at all with another dog, that's just not her. But she has plenty from her beagle and pitbull attacks last October and those for sure won't grow fur back on them.

Most of the scars come from the farm, running with their littermates or occasionally from a scrap in the turnout pen. In 10 years at the track, I don't believe I ever saw an injury that could remotely have resulted in scarring from the track.

None of my 4 had scars until they came home. Darlin skidded across the deck and needed stitches leaving a little scar. Alpo was perfect, until he was boarded at the vet clinic for 4 days and came home with horrible bedsores. He needed surgery 3 times and has quite a bit of scarring on his legs and shoulders. :(

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest sirsmom

Sir's ruptured cruciate surgery scar never went away and no hair ever grows on it so it looks like a black line on his lt. tan body

Guest PhillyPups

SugarBear came to me with a bald butt (the rest of mine all had nice fuzzy butts) and two things worked with her, feeding her nutro and of all things PreparationH - I was told to try that by someone that worked with the GPA group, and ended up with a nice fuzzy butt. And no, men, PreparationH does not work on bald heads :rofl:rofl:rofl

Stepper came scarless and he now has a nasty one on his leg from a windy night in the back yard. It is more noticeable as he ages and his whole front lightens up. I doubt he will ever grow enough hair to cover that one. :lol:lol

Guest Moebaaviva

It seems logical that the bigger the scar, the less likely it'll heal/cover up with fur. Bella has a decent sized triangular scar right smack in the middle of her back that's good and dark against her white fur. The fur around it obscures it a little, but it looks like she lost a good chunk of skin there. :mellow:

SugarBear came to me with a bald butt (the rest of mine all had nice fuzzy butts) and two things worked with her, feeding her nutro and of all things PreparationH -

I'd love to know what possessed the person that first tried Preperation-H