Licking Sutures

Guest wrldruler

Guest wrldruler

George got his tail amputated today. They did a laser surgery, put in a couple sutures. No bandages.

We got home, and in the last couple hours, I caught him lightly licking the sutures twice.

Should I run out and get an e-collar tonight? Or is some light, infrequent licking OK?

I don't have an e-collar right now. Not eager to get an e-collar because he probably won't get in the crate. We would have to baby gate him for the first time. Wife and I have to work Thursday and Friday. We will be around on the weekend to keep an eye on him.

I am ordering a Bite-Not Collar which should be here on Monday.

So what to do for Thursday and Friday while we are at work? E-collar with baby gate. Or leave hiim in the crate and hope he doesn't increase his licking?

Thanks,

Chris

Sometimes putting Vicks Vapor Rub around (NOT on the sutures) will deter them from licking.

BenGay or Listerine works too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

The bite-not collars are great. I used to have one around here, but doG only knows where it is now that we've moved.... :blink: :blink: If I had a clue where it was, I'd say come up and get it! (I have not seen it since we moved.... so theoretically... it could be anywhere.... :blush )

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest wrldruler
The bite-not collars are great. I used to have one around here, but doG only knows where it is now that we've moved.... :blink: :blink: If I had a clue where it was, I'd say come up and get it! (I have not seen it since we moved.... so theoretically... it could be anywhere.... :blush )

lothianjavert,

Do you remember where you originally bought the bite-not collar from? Was it online or local?

I've been calling around local stores and vets, most know what I am talking about but haven't found anyone that actually carried it.

Thanks,

Chris

Guest sheila

I would think that any of the collars would likely not be effective as the dog would probably still be able to reach the area even with one on. I know my Kiowa was able to lick a wound on his front leg even with an E-collar on.

If it was me, I would try putting some kind pants on the dog like a pr of underwear or a pr of kids shorts or something. If he still tries to lick through them you could line the inside of them with a panty liner or something.

Guest SquanHound

I was also going to suggest a pair of shorts for him. When Ping had stitches on his shoulder he would lick it if he wasn't wearing a shirt. Once the shirt went on the licking stopped. Try a pair of gym shorts (particularly if you have a pair with a draw string to hold them up).

It's down low on his tail, so shorts/shirt aren't going to help. In a pinch, the muzzle (with a stool guard, or duct-tap on just the front end) should work until you get a regular e- or bite-not collar.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest sheila
It's down low on his tail, so shorts/shirt aren't going to help. In a pinch, the muzzle (with a stool guard, or duct-tap on just the front end) should work until you get a regular e- or bite-not collar.

In that case a e-collar or bite-not is for sure not going to work. The dog will reach the area easily even with such a collar. I would suggest some kind of loose bandage on the tail and a muzzle with a stool guard in that case.

If you are asking, they are probably licking too much. I would opt for some of the above advice.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project