Why Do Greys Have So Many Serious Illnesses

Guest tigerlily

Guest tigerlily

it seems like so many greys have such serious illnesses...i belong to a lab forum. as we also have a chocolate lab..and there doesnt seem to be near the amount of serious illness in the labs..any idea why it is the greys with more cancer, etc? it scarey..

I don't think that they do, not really any more than any other breed - and considerably less than some. There are really very few genetic problems in greyhounds.

This is a big board and people feel very deeply for their dogs. If you look in Health and Medical, you WILL find heartbreaking stories, and you have to remember that we all have to die of something. Out of my dogs, only one had a tragic, catastrophic illness - kidney cancer. But then, when I was newly married one of the cats I had which still lived with my mother had the very same thing. You may as well ask why some human families have so much tragedy and others do not. :dunno

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Actually, from what I've read greyhounds don't have any more health issues than most pure bred dogs. Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) is one major disease, but there is also a high incidence in rottweilers. On the other hand, hip dysplaysia is almost nonexistent in greyhounds (AKC or NGA).

I think you'll also notice that many of the postings on this forum are about dogs 11, 12 and sometimes older.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Greys do get cancer. I hate cancer.

This is a grey list and I know you said, you are on a lab list, but how many people are registered on that list? This board has probably 2,000 or more members. I am on another greyhound list, also, with over 2,000 members.

People don't usually post and say, "Hey, my dog is healthy." I don't even want to think of doing that, because you know what happens when you do.

I have a 12 year old, a 10-1/2 year old and an almost 6 year old greys. In all dogs, there are diseases that are unique or prevalent to that breed. Don't dwell on the saddness, enjoy the good side of life.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I did want to add one other thing. Although I'm fairly new to Greytalk, it seems that there is a genuine spirit of community. Members feel that they can reach out for advice and support.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

This is a grey list and I know you said, you are on a lab list, but how many people are registered on that list? This board has probably 2,000 or more members. I am on another greyhound list, also, with over 2,000 members.

This is a very good point. :nod Greytalk has over 3,000 registered members. Is the lab list so large?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Just like others have mentioned, people come to Heath and Medical to post about illnesses. Often, we get a lot of brand new members posting here: i.e. my 12 year old was just diagnosed with XXXX, etc., because they are searching for support.

Yes, greys get cancer. So do other dogs, people, cats. I lost a cat at the age of 11 to liver cancer, and our poodle to a stroke (she also had seizures, and several other medical issues). There are also other things that happen: worms can affect any dog, and are common in dogs just off the track. In animals that have not been taken care of, or have been running loose for a period of time, heartworm is common, as are tick borne diseases. None of these are greyhound-specific.

you will find some things like Pannus (a treatable eye condition) that pop up in greys, but german shepherds and collies are still far more likely to be diagnosed with it.

Many times we come here seeking advice, even for simple things like "my dog just ate XXX, what should I do?" "My dog has a cut, should I go to the emergency vet" etc. What people don't do is come here and post: "my 13 y.o. is doing great! " etc.

Also, consider that the current member count is 3,301-- this is a very active board. :)

You also have to look at how many of us have multiple dogs...how many people on the lab board have 3+

This is true... so many of us have at least more than one, and a large number that have 5+, so the total DOGS represented is quite large!

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

When you look at how many retired racing greyhounds there are compared to other breeds of dogs and then look at the medical problems associated with the breed, you'll find that the population of greyhounds with medical problems is quite low. What you are refering to is like the analogy of buying a new car. You never notice the cars on the road until you buy a certain model. Then suddenly you see a lot of that model! That's how it works.

And like other posters have already mentioned, not a lot of people have multiples of any other breed or who are so passionate about them.

Many times we come here seeking advice, even for simple things like "my dog just ate XXX, what should I do?" "My dog has a cut, should I go to the emergency vet" etc. What people don't do is come here and post: "my 13 y.o. is doing great! " etc.

My 13 year old is doing...well, not great, but he's okay for a 13 year old! The 11 year old, on the other hand, thinks, looks, and acts like she's about four years old. :P:lol

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest tigerlily

i am glad to know this..i thought maybe because i was reading so many post about really serious illnesses that it was something caused by the way the greys were fed and treated when they were racing..i feel much better knowing this is just a small percentage and not something more prevalent in this breed..i love my grey and i am hoping she has a very long and healthy life. thank you all for your replies.

Guest practicepiano

I wish there were really dependable statistics about this.

But my general impression is that greyhounds are pretty healthy dogs, comparatively speaking. They don't have a lot of genetic issues, compared to many breeds.

They haven't been bred for the aspects of appearance that are notorious for causing health problems in some other breeds (flat faces, long hanging furry ears, little or no tail, extreme size in either direction, furrows and folds, etc.).

Just the fact that they don't have hip dysplasia or luxating patellas, like lots of other breeds probably makes for a larger percentage of healthy greyhounds.

Greyhounds have far, far fewer health defects that most non-sighthounds. I recall reading a list of breeds and their common and congenital diseases. GSDs had a whole paragraph! I think with sighthounds, the most common illnesses are OS, pannus and hypothyroidism. They had a list of, I think, 11 common diseases, while a GSD had about 30. I'll have to see if I can link that article. It was quite interesting.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Here's one link. I'm guessing that this is referencing AKC greyhounds, however, because there is no mention of OS and NGA dogs aren't actually *that* prone to bloat, unlike AKC pups. But for comparison, check out the German Shepherd's list...Breed Health Defects - G

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest LynnM

Hiya! My two greyhounds are disgustingly healthy. One is 12 and one is 5. The 12 year old ran in field trials until he was nearly 10. The younger is accident prone, but physically is darn near indestructable. Both are do-anything, eat-anything, go-anywhere dogs, as have been the majority of my fosters.

Lynn

The other thing I wanted to add is that greyhounds live very long lives compared to many other large breeds (some of which you're really lucky if you make it into double digits :( ). My grey is 8.5 years old and I definitely don't consider him a senior. Would a lab be a senior at that age? It seems intuitive to me that if they live so much longer, you will see more health problems. Not because they are more likely to get them, but because they live long enough that the disease manifests itself.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

I have 5 with no major health issues among them (knock wood) Ages - 9, 9, 11, 12.5 13.25

This is a H&M forum where over 2000 people can discuss medical issues of their dogs. I think really looking at the broad picture will put this forum in perspective. If you go to training an behavior and focus on that part of the forum, you'd begin to think that Greyhounds are the most ill mannered breed around.

As I tell anyone who comes to the board, take it with a grain of salt, because it's like looking in a fish bowl and comparing it to the ocean - you are going to see everything selective and in concentrate.

Guest tigerlily
Here's one link. I'm guessing that this is referencing AKC greyhounds, however, because there is no mention of OS and NGA dogs aren't actually *that* prone to bloat, unlike AKC pups. But for comparison, check out the German Shepherd's list...Breed Health Defects - G

oh my gosh! i looked up labs(my other dog)..the list goes on forever!!

I agree with the above.

On that note.. I have 4 and they are all very healthy, have been since we brought them home... ages 9, 8, 8, 5.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest ohgreyt

My chocolate lab died at age 4 from diabetes and some liver disfunction of which I can't remember the name of. Labs are sturdy strong dogs, but are susceptible to disease as well. I personally don't think greys are any better or worse than any other breed, IMHO :)

Guest simile

The greyhounds' lack of numerous serious and prevelent medical issues was one of the deciding factors in our choice of greyhound vs another type of sighthound or giant breed.

Guest TBSFlame

I have 5 hounds and they are all healthy. My first died of osteo when he was almost 10 but until then he had never been sick.