Gypsy Has A Cut On Her Rear Toe

Last night when I went to let Gypsy out, she went flying out after a bird. I heard her hit the patio door on her way but she never stopped so I went about my business. When I was checking her feet before letting her in I saw all the blood. She has about a 1/2 inch cut right on her knuckle on her rear foot. She doesn't even seem to know she did anything. I was able to stop the bleeding fairly quickly with direct pressure. Since she is not concerned with it I decided not to wrap it. She woke at 1:30 and was acting funny so I let her outside and she tended to business and came back in and went back to bed. I checked her foot at that time and it felt wet, it wasn't bleeding. This morning I took a better look at it and it is oozing a clear liquid with just a little blood. Should I take her to the vet? Is this normal? Does she need a couple of stitches? Sorry, no pictures yet. I took a bunch late last night but she was wagging and wiggling so they all look blurry to me.

Edited by win4profit
Everyday-4.jpg

Was the clear liquid sort of yellowish? If so, it's probably lymph (but I'm not a vet). I'd be inclined to let my vet have a look.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Looks to me to be more of a scrape. I would not try to stich. I have a firm and fast rule here with the dogs....I get them the same medical attention that my kids got. Dr. Mom is usually pretty good! I have seen only two things that I took them to the vet for and now next time I won't have to. Live and learn. And give yourself credit. Would you have gone to the DR for that on your toe? If the answer is yes, then take to the vet. My kids have few scars, but nothing serious!!! :P:grouphug

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Guest lizmego

It really depends on how deep the cut is - can you see tendons or bone? if yes, go to the vet. Better safe than sorry.

Personally, my mantra, if you have to ask someone or a message board for vet advice, just go to the vet, its better piece of mind for you and better care for your dog.

It's hard to see from the photos, but it doesn't look very deep to me - is that right? If it were me, I'd probably just clean it up on the surface and as long as she's not bothering it too much let it heal on it's own. Avoid wrapping if you can, cause airflow will help it heal quickly.

No, I don't see tendons or bone. I was on the fence about taking her to the vet last night. She is not favoring the leg and it looks a lot better today so I am not as worried. I was just curious about the clear fluid that was leaking overnight.

Everyday-4.jpg