11yr Old Girl Wobbling, Panting Excessively

Guest GreyKat

Guest GreyKat

My Luna has had a problem w/ a recurring corn for a few years now, but in February and March of this year, she started showing scary signs of age/illness. You can read my post about the bladder problems she started to have at that time: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=163691

Now things are quickly getting worse. Her bloodwork and other tests proved relatively normal when she was tested in March, aside from a vaginal infection that was treated w/ wipes and antibiotics. She went on Proin to help w/ the incontinence, and it seemed that her bladder problems stopped altogether w/in a week or so on the meds.

During the past several weeks, we've noticed her slowing down, having trouble w/ stairs, trembling when she squats to pee/poop, etc. She pants EXCESSIVELY, so I mentioned this to our new vet last month when all three of my guys went in for their annual shots. He said to keep an eye on her.

Well, my eyes were crying today as I watched her stumble about, pee immediately when she got outside, then again after about 1 minute (she almost looked like she was surprised that she had to pee again). When she came in, she was squinting, panting, and she took a very short drink (normally she has a lot more after coming back into the hosue). I ran upstairs to get something, and when I realized she hadn't followed nor was she in her normal spot in the family room, I peeked into the hallway (where the water dish is), and she had just collapsed there. She had stopped the panting and just seemed like that's where she decided to rest, but it seemed abnormal to me given all of the shaking and weirdness right up until that point. She does tend to pick weird little seemingly-uncomfortable spots to rest sometimes, but this whole thing seemed off to me.

I called the vet to make an appointment and cried while on the phone (I'm a bit of a wreck). They can see her in about 45 mins, so I'm about to head out. I just thought I'd post this to my fellow greyhound owners to see if these symptoms seem to resemble anything you're familiar with. Unfortunately, both my old vet and my new one have only seen a handful of greyhounds. I picked the new one based on overall vet reviews for the area since he got raves. I'm hoping, even w/ his lack of greyhound-specific experience, that he can help her and run whatever tests to figure this out.

Help if you can think of anything! I'm a total wreck, and I'm not ready for my precious girl to get "old" just yet. I know the inevitable is happening right in front of me, but she just changed SO fast. In a matter of months, it seems she's aged years. My boy her same age is still acting like a puppy most of the time. I am praying she can get back to her old self!

Keep us in your prayers this afternoon. Thanks for your support and compassion!

Kat

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't offer anything about her symptoms, but I hope your vet is able to help you figure it out. Keep us posted.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

A couple of thoughts...

I would have her urine tested right away. She may have a UTI and that is very painful.

When my Maggie was on PPA for incontinence after a while she began being very restless and panting a lot. We reduced the PPA dosage and it still took care of her incontinence, but the restlessness and excessive panting stopped.

Pain can also excessive panting and restlessness. She needs a good physical where the vet manipulates her joints and checks for pain and weakness. Also her feet should be checked for corns, they are very painful.

Be sure you print out, and take to your new vet, the info on greyhound bloodwork that is posted above by smarthound.

Sending good thoughts and gentle ear scritches to your girl.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

A friend of mine has a hound suffering from Lumbosacral Stenosis. The signs sound a bit like it (wobbly, rear end weakness). Here's a link with some info - Lumbosacral Stenosis

I hope she's feeling better very soon.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest GreyKat
A friend of mine has a hound suffering from Lumbosacral Stenosis. The signs sound a bit like it (wobbly, rear end weakness). Here's a link with some info - Lumbosacral Stenosis

I hope she's feeling better very soon.

Thanks, so much, to all of you. I just got home. I will certainly call the vet to ask about Lumbosacral Stenosis.

Basically, I took her to the vet. They had her for about 1 1/2 hours. They tested for lyme disease, and she was negative. They took two xrays, and both looked fine. They were worried they couldn't pinpoint anything, especially since her symptoms were so varied. She had actually progressively gotten worse since my initial post here. When I tried to get her out of the car at the vet's office, she acted like it was simply impossible for her to move. I had to lift her out of the car, and even then she sat awkwardly and refused to stand. She could barely walk at all- as if her body didn't know what to do with her two hind legs. I was bawling then, and then again when I started explaining everything to the vet.

So after all of that, they sent me off to a neurologist, who unfortunately can't see her until tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, they wanted to keep her in the hospital overnight for observation. We took her there, and waited for an hour, and finally paid the estimate for the bill and went home. The vet who is observing her overnight called me while my husband was driving me back home. I don't know why, but I was expecting what I've continued hearing the past few months- that they aren't quite sure, but that things should be okay. I was not so lucky. They need to run tests, but she basically just said my girl looks really bad. She said she is painful everywhere, and they had to give her lots of different types of pain killers and some steroids just to help her through the night. She threw out possibilities like meningitis, cancer, disc disease, etc. She asked me if I wanted them to do CPR if she crashes overnight. I started sobbing- I was not expecting something so extreme. I'm praying she just has to ask because of worst-case scenarios, but I just feel devastated and a little angry that I didn't get to say a proper goodbye to her before we left. My husband helped cart her in on a stretcher while I filled out the paperwork, and then we sat and waited for an hour only to be told the vet would "be awhile" before she could talk to us. They said she could just call us and we could pay the estimate before we left. We did, not realizing something so serious might happen overnight.

I just don't know what to do right now. My husband wants me to get some sleep since I have to be up early for the neurologist (this place is about an hour from our home w/out rush-hour traffic), but I can't imagine sleeping right now.

Please keep her in your prayers tonight. She is the sweetest girl and doesn't deserve to be in any pain. I hate that I can't be with her right now. She's our first, and we've never had to experience these kinds of worries and decisions. We knew the day was coming sooner than we wanted, but why does it all happen so quickly? I'm not ready to talk about a trip to Rainbow Bridge.

Thank you all for your support and advice. It means so much to me!

Kat

Guest PiagetsMom

You and your girl are in my prayers for an uneventful night, and some answers and help tomorrow at your morning appointment. :grouphug

Love sometimes hurts. Without that capacity to feel we would have nothing. We take our hounds into our hearts knowing full well that we run the risk of hurt when its time to say goodby. The joy that they give us is so much more than the pain of losing them. We are keeping you and your sweet girl in our prayers and hearts in Miami.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Love sometimes hurts. Without that capacity to feel we would have nothing. We take our hounds into our hearts knowing full well that we run the risk of hurt when its time to say goodby. The joy that they give us is so much more than the pain of losing them. We are keeping you and your sweet girl in our prayers and hearts in Miami.

This is one of the best essays on this subject I've read:

The Journey

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest LindsaySF

I hope they can figure out what's wrong!

Did they test for all of the tick-borne diseases? Or just Lyme?

~Lindsay~

Your girls symptoms sound a bit extreme for this but could it be a stroke? The back end weakness, unexpected extra peeing and some disorientation all followed on a minor stroke in two of my previous rescues. If it is, a very good recovery may be made within days and both mine lived for roughly another two years without major problems. Sending best wishes for your girl.

Sue from England