Piper Is Having A Bad Round Of Seizures...

Poor Piper is having a bad round of seizures. He usually has only one or two seizures at a time, but occasionally he'll have long cluster episode and we seem to be in the midst of one of those bad times now. He had an unusually violent seizure yesterday afternoon at 2:30. He then had 5 more--8PM, 10PM 11PM, 1AM, 2AM, and 6AM. He's at the vet's office now, since I just couldn't miss another day of work. I'm very grateful that I happened to be home with him yesterday. The vet called a bit before lunch to say that P is looking OK on exam and has not had any seizures at the clinic.

The poor sweetheart leaped up after the 11PM seizure and ran into the bathroom. I was in hot pursuit, but he fell on the slippery floor. Just as I got him upright again, he began to pee (there are worse places to do that than the bathroom floor :nod ). He then lost his balance again and fell into the pool of pee. He was so zonked that he just lay there, making to pee pool ever larger. I foresee a bath in his near future. :eek

Update: When I picked Piper up at the vet's I spoke with the doctor. Piper had 3 seizures there today and during the first one they inadvertently gave him morphine instead of IM Valium. :ohno The tech realized that his reaction to the drug was extreme, checked the inventory, and realized that a mistake had been made. They gave a reversal drug--Narcan, I think they said. They expect Piper to be pretty sedated and sleepy tonight but expect no serious ill-effects. I appreciate their honesty in telling me what happened. I'm also so relieved that the mix-up was not with a drug that will cause great harm.

He's home, had a potty trip, drank a lot of water, ate an extra special dinner and is now sacked out. He is going to spend tomorrow at the vet's office for observation. They apparently let him wander around in the back area because he was restless in the crate. In true greyhound style, he charmed everybody, even while feeling poorly. :wub:

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I've thought many times how lucky Piper is to have you. I hope this is the end of this round & he'll be able to come home for his bath very soon. :bath

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

The vet just called and he has had 3 more seizures today at the office. I'm taking him home tonight with some extra medications and he'll spend tomorrow at the vet's office again. I expect he'll come out of this as he has before, but I must admit to being a bit worried about him at the moment and I'm glad that I can have him at home tonight. Off to pick him up now...

Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I sure hope the extra meds work, and work quickly.

Special :kiss2 from my Piper to yours.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Poor baby. Sending many prayers for seizure free times!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I am so sorry. :( We just went through this with Cody Angelo in May and he ended up in ICU for a few days. It is just so frustrating. :grouphug Feel better soon sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Poor baby... sending prayers for Piper. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Oh Lucy, I'm so sorry! I was hoping Piper would go a long time seizure free this time. My thoughts and prayers are with the both of you.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Piper didn't have any more seizures last night. :clap:confetti I think that he may be through for this episode, thank goodness. Between the 9 seizures and the medication mix-up (morphine instead of valium at the vet's) he is pretty dopey and droopy at the moment. He's spending the day at the vet's office and has his car bed in one of the exam rooms so he can snooze while they keep an eye on him.

Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes. They make a huge difference during these rough times.

Lucy and Piper

That's great news! Sending prayers that he continues to be seizure free. :grouphug

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Thank goodness! It could be that the drug mix up and the valium sedated him just enough to stop the seizures. Whatever the reason I'm so glad they stopped!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee