Humphrey Update Monday Noon

Guest grapecat

Guest grapecat

Hello All -

Thank you so much again for all of your good wishes. Humph had his first check today - they said that the wounds were leaking quite a lot but the swelling was normal. They changed the dressing and we'll need to take him back in tomorrow for another dressing change. Humph cried quite a bit last night, and this morning he's been quite vocal, whimpering and whining. We have pain medication to be given every morning, but it seems that he is still in pain (not surprising considering the severity of the injury I suppose). He's been able to limp a bit on the leg, and he has learned to get up and down without screaming, for the most part. He's also eating, and he's been outside to do his business - "both businesses!" which I think is a good sign. He will be OK.

We are pretty wrecked - it's really hurting to see him hurting. We'll be tough though, and get him through this. I think we're doing everything we can. We haven't been eating or sleeping much so we'll try to do that today if we can.

Thanks again for all of your kind thoughts and well wishes - it has meant a lot to all three of us.

-Karly

Guest argolola

He is in my prayers. You will be amazed at how quickly these gentle creatures heal. Lola had eye surgery last week and was crying in pain (and yes it does break your heart.) Now she is totally off the pain meds.

Feel better soon, sweet Humphrey.

Guest vahoundlover

Keeping Humphrey in my prayers. Could the vet prescribe something else or in addition to what he's already taking?

Guest grapecat
Keeping Humphrey in my prayers. Could the vet prescribe something else or in addition to what he's already taking?

We did ask, but he said the stuff he is on (Metacam) is best for this and that there was going to be some discomfort because of the severity of the break.

Guest Oh_Greyt

Metacam is not very strong. It's meant for arthritis or post surgery routine stuff. Maybe if you insist that it isn't enough, he can add another medication. We always sent out ortho surgeries home on something much stronger. Your vet may be able to give an injection that will last a few days in conjunction with the Metacam... I just cringe thinking that's all he's on. I would just insist that he needs something more - better to annoy your vet a little than have your pup in pain.

I'm glad he is doing better though. It will get better each day, especially when the swelling starts to go down. Hugs to you all!!

Guest Machbragal

My cat was in great pain with the leg break. We finally got a fenadyl (sp?) patch put on him and it made the world of difference. Could you ask your vet if that would be possible? I think they really need some pretty heavy pain medication.

Guest grapecat

He was on a patch until this morning and morphine until Sunday morning. He seems to be doing better as the afternoon progresses. He developed a skin rash under the patch. The crying has pretty much stopped now, and he's resting comfortably, but he is still whining occasionally. Thanks for your advice though - if he seems in pain we will harass our lovely vet!

Guest Oh_Greyt

Oh those patches are great. It probably has some residual effects too. I know it stinks seeing our babies in pain and not being able to explain to them why. Hang in there Humphrey!

Guest Machbragal

Yes, Rusty's skin didn't like the patch either. But it made a huge difference in terms of the pain he had.

Hope that your baby is doing a little better. I know it's a very long road!

Guest gr84me

So glad to hear he's home! Hopefully the pain will lessen and you will all be able to get some rest ... continued good wishes and prayers for you all.

Ask your vet about giving your pup Tramadol with the Metacam. Poor baby :blink:

Bone surgery pain is very bad, I would also ask for Tramadol along with the Metcam. Sending prayers. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Poor baby...feel better soon sweetie. I would also ask for more pain meds...bone pain is so horrible. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest vahoundlover
He was on a patch until this morning and morphine until Sunday morning. He seems to be doing better as the afternoon progresses. He developed a skin rash under the patch. The crying has pretty much stopped now, and he's resting comfortably, but he is still whining occasionally. Thanks for your advice though - if he seems in pain we will harass our lovely vet!

continued prayers and healing thoughts coming your way.

Oh, poor Humphrey - yes, bone pain is severe. Isn't grapecat in the UK? Vets over here do not like overmedicating, especially if they think the dog will try to do too much without the pain to remind them, but since Humph is in SO much pain, I think I'd go back and let them know, and ask if he can have something stronger.

Ask your vet about giving your pup Tramadol with the Metacam. Poor baby :blink:

Bone surgery pain is very bad, I would also ask for Tramadol along with the Metcam. Sending prayers. :hope

I doubt they'll know the name Tramadol ... many of the drug names are different here. But I'd certainly be asking for something else.

If your vet is reluctant, ask for a second opinion - you can usually get one within the same practice these days, but certainly you are entitled to one, if necessary, in a different practice. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greytexplorer

If my son's broken leg pain is anything like your Humphrey's pain---

GET SOMETHING MORE THAN METACAM

Will was miserable for at least a week, as I recall. And he was on some pretty STRONG stuff!

:bighug and :kiss2 to all from Birmingham AL

Vets over here do not like overmedicating, especially if they think the dog will try to do too much without the pain to remind them, but since Humph is in SO much pain, I think I'd go back and let them know, and ask if he can have something stronger.

Old thinking, on both sides of the pond. article

I doubt they'll know the name Tramadol ... many of the drug names are different here.

Brand name is Ultram (human med called Ultracet contains acetaminophen - not safe for pets).

My boy had a fentanyl patch once & he was so agitated with it I had to remove it. He tolerates tramadol very well. Many good thoughts for Humphrey. :kiss2

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Ultram / Tramadol is called Zydol in the UK if I remember correctly. I know this because I asked my vet in the UK for Tramadol recently when my boy was suffering from osteosarcoma - my vet hadn't heard of Ultram or Tramadol but between us we eventually discovered it is called Zydol over here.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting