I Lost My Sweet Chancy

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of hugs!! Hope you have a peaceful night...

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Dang my tigergirl is too smart for her own good! I just gave her the evening meds, wrapped in peanut butter. Normally she has no problems with this, but since the number of various pills has increased, I think she's starting to suspect my ulterior motive to the delicious peanut-buttery goodness. After lickylickylickying the first three small gobs of PB, she carefully spat out three of her seven pills, meticulously denuded of peanut butter. Thankfully PB is irresistible enough that she ate the same pills, re-wrapped in fresh PB.

I used to hide pills in cream cheese, but she no longer likes that. Sometimes I hid them in her special meatballs, but currently she's not interested in those either. What ever shall I do if/when she stops liking peanut butter? :(

I'm afraid to force the pills into her, due to the risk of choking/inhaling because of the tieback surgery...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Dang my tigergirl is too smart for her own good! I just gave her the evening meds, wrapped in peanut butter. Normally she has no problems with this, but since the number of various pills has increased, I think she's starting to suspect my ulterior motive to the delicious peanut-buttery goodness. After lickylickylickying the first three small gobs of PB, she carefully spat out three of her seven pills, meticulously denuded of peanut butter. Thankfully PB is irresistible enough that she ate the same pills, re-wrapped in fresh PB.

I used to hide pills in cream cheese, but she no longer likes that. Sometimes I hid them in her special meatballs, but currently she's not interested in those either. What ever shall I do if/when she stops liking peanut butter? :(

I'm afraid to force the pills into her, due to the risk of choking/inhaling because of the tieback surgery...

Cheez Whiz? I got it to work here for a day or two.... PB was a bust for us, so was cream cheese. braunschweiger flared her IBD (before I knew it was IBD). some have luck w/hot dogs or bread - never worked here. Ice cream?

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Ice cream may be a possibility. If she'll swallow it fast enough.

Everyone here is asleep except me and Zorba. Hubby crashed on the couch while watching me tangle with Chancy's meds and peanut butter. In 90 minutes I have to give her one more med. It must be given on an empty stomach, thus the delay. Man am I tired. And broke. I don't want to think about how I'll feel if all this doesn't help my poor tigergirl...

Guilty, is the front runner. For making her go through one more hard day. A day of being surrounded by scary strangers who poke her with needles while trapping her in a kennel...

They left the catheter in, in case we need to put her back on an IV tomorrow. Or in case we need to euthanize tonight...

Man am I tired.

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Big hugs.

If we could only see the future, eh? But we can't. You know your girl and what's best for her.

Easy sleep for all of you tonight.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Winterwish

Aimee can the pill be crushed?

If they're okay to crush maybe you can try putting a crushed pill in a small bit of peanut butter,or even a small,small bit of a not very well done scrambled egg. (not very well done so it'd be easier to blend the pill into it.)

Then maybe put it on your finger,well mixed,onto the side of her tongue,so she not be able to spit it out,but would wind up getting it down.

If it's a capsule,or time released,it usually is important not to crush or open the capsule. Maybe the vets office can advise.

The thing is if you can crush it tho',it needs to absolutely be a powder. Like talc,with no pieces,but all powder so that when mixed into peanut butter or scrambled eggs,it blends smoothly,preventing any choking.

To crush the pill if you do,- place a paper towel on the table,the pill on the paper towel. Fold over the paper towel in half over the pill. Then fold again,making the pill go in the corner of the paper towel so that the powdery pill doesn't come out the sides of the paper towel.

Then get a glass jar and bang on it,crushing it.

Thinking of you and Chancy all day. I'm so sorry your beautiful stripey girl is so sick Aimee, :grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope

Edited by Winterwish

Just checking in on all of you. Sending out warm thoughts for Chancy and for you too Aimee. This is the hardest time.... *sigh* :heart:hope:heart

:grouphug

Welcome home Quixote (formerly known as Whytell Mango)

JennScoot2.jpg

My Beloved Scooterman October 16, 1998 - October 11, 2007

Guest LolasMom

After the PB tack stopped working here, crushing the pills (if OK with vet) and putting the powder into vanilla ice cream did the trick.

Hoping for a peaceful and healing night at your house. :wub:

Aimee, I know how exhausted and frustrated you are feeling. We have been going thru the same thing with Hobbes, going from one day to the next. Two week ago he was sent home to us with the catheter left in so he could spend one last night at home, then be euthanized the next day. A last ditch effort by our vet was to administer steroids. He has responded to steroid treatment and is still here with us (he gets a daily dose of Prednisone). We have had some up and down days and it is emotionally draining never knowing what the next day will bring. Sometimes I feel elated & happy to have him here, and at other times I worry that I am missing the signs and the guilt sets in. You are not alone in your experience and I really do know how tired and stressed you are with all the worries about Chancy.

I have discovered that mashed potatoes works well for getting pills into Hobbes. You could try that with Chancy. As she licks up the potatoes the pills tend to just go right down and stick with the food so they are harder to spit out. Maybe it will work for you.

Take care and hugs to Chancy - all my good wishes and thoughts will be with you for healing and comfort for your beautiful girl.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Still tired, but we all got a few good hours of sleep. I got up at 4:30 to offer Chancy some food before her 5am food cutoff for the empty-stomach meds. She ate two jars of baby food and drank some water, but wasn't interested in anything else right now. I wanted to get her on her feet and walk around a bit, maybe go outside to pee. Mostly just to make sure she was capable. She was extremely wobbly, but made it on her own. :yay:

Her back feet are slightly puffy, probably from the IV fluids they gave yesterday. I also noticed that the paw with the catheter is somewhat swollen. I'm sure the bandage was too tight, so I removed the catheter (:goodluck that we won't have to put in another one soon.. for any reason) and massaged that paw for a while.

Hubby agreed with me that her tummy feels softer. It's still swollen looking, but not rock-hard like it has been. I hope that's a good thing. She's sitting up right now, panting a bit, but not as desperately as yesterday, and no repeat of yesterday's copious drooling either.

All of this is good progress, if not fast progress. I hope she starts eating more normally soon, as I don't know how long I can keep up this schedule and stay employed (not to mention sleep!). :(

I'm going to get another hour of sleep before next med-time. I'd like to try to go in to work today for a couple hours here & there between meds & meals. It's a tight schedule though, esp since I want to feed her as often as possible, since she eats so little at a time.

Guest tricolorhounds

My Cecily knows the trick with the pills oh too well... She won't eat cream cheese anymore. We've been using these Carl Buddig and rolling the pills up in it burrito style.

:hope Still thinking about Chancy

Darius has gotten a bit fussy about pills these days. The older ones are so smart! He gets a thyroid pill, a Cosequin chewable (used to chew them, not anymore) a fish oil pill, and 500 mgs of Vitamin C. He now takes each one with some mayo, yes mayo. What ever works he gets. I also know that he is also taking advantage of me to get better treats in his food. Sometimes morning feedings aren't great so he eats a bit and when I come home for lunch he eats the rest. He has no problem then and he is hungrier since he didn't get his way in the am. He is no fool and neither am I.

He likes to have different flavors, he loves Mexican now.

I have hidden pills in chicken hearts (cooked)

liverwurst

mayo

raw hamburger

cheese

Also in some cases where a dog will eat without any problems, is to hide the pill and then feed them a few without the pill and then slip the pill one in. By then they are just swallowing whole as they believe there are no pills.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Aimee...

Sounds like good news overall!! She is a fighter....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I am welcome to bring her in to work, but I'm not ready to stress her out by making her go up the six steps to get to the elevator, in front of scary strangers. Even before this latest mess started, she had a hard time there. Once in my office she was fine. It's nice & quiet there. If only I could just teleport her there... Beam her up, Scotty! :lol

What you guys have been through is amazing. Bless you both and may Chancy continue giving us all good news! What a trooper.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

A few minutes ago Chancy stood up and walked to the back door without being coaxed at all. :yay: She really had to pee. :blush: So we went outside, and she emptied her very full bladder, and even had a soft little poo. (I know that's the info you've all been waiting for :lol ) She wobbled back up the 5 steps and into the house unassisted. This all may not sound like much, but it feels like HUGE progress since yesterday when she was at death's door.

I definitely see that her tummy looks smaller and feels softer. That can't be anything but good, right? Though now that her spleen is shrinking a bit, I can really see how skinny she's become. :( The muscletone in her back legs has diminished significantly.

30 more minutes until meal and med time...