I Lost My Sweet Chancy

Oh no Aimee....

Maybe a second biopsy??

I feel for you...how much do you put them through is such a difficult call....

:grouphug for you and Chancy

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking her in to the vet again today at 3:45. He sounded concerned. :(

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

Hi Aimee - So glad we got a chance to see you and your crew yesterday. I'm sorry that you have to take Chancy back to the vet today. I've been doing that quinoa/pasta/veggie/meat combo for my dogs and maybe your girl would like a taste. It has nothing to do with spleen enlargement, but the quinoa is about the highest protein source you could ask for and still be easy on the kidneys. Teeth not required. I know you don't want to spoil them, but then we do. I'll leave a cup at your back door. Sadie Sue's sister had a splenectomy - did really well with it. I don't like you folks having to deal with that either. Can pick up one of your hounds to join us for a walk if you need it. We head out every day about 4:30. :gh_face Carole

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Hi Aimee - So glad we got a chance to see you and your crew yesterday. I'm sorry that you have to take Chancy back to the vet today. I've been doing that quinoa/pasta/veggie/meat combo for my dogs and maybe your girl would like a taste. It has nothing to do with spleen enlargement, but the quinoa is about the highest protein source you could ask for and still be easy on the kidneys. Teeth not required. I know you don't want to spoil them, but then we do. I'll leave a cup at your back door. Sadie Sue's sister had a splenectomy - did really well with it. I don't like you folks having to deal with that either. Can pick up one of your hounds to join us for a walk if you need it. We head out every day about 4:30. :gh_face Carole

Carole, that's so sweet of you. It's not that I don't spoil Chancy (Oh how I spoil her! :wub: ), it's that I'm trying to keep Marla from becoming a fussy eater out of jealousy of all the goodies Chancy gets. :lol

Leaving in a few minutes to bring Chancy in. :goodluck

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I guess my mind wasn't working correctly when I calculated how early I needed to leave work for Chancy's appt. I had an extra 30 minutes at home before we should leave. :rolleyes: So we really are leaving for the vet in five minutes this time. Her tummy is bloated as ever, and she's panting non-stop. She parked herself in front of the AC vent. I think the cool air soothes her. She didn't have a fever this morning (101.5), so I suspect the panting is a pain reaction. My poor tigerdog, how much more can a sweet ol' gal be expected to take? :cry1

Come on girl...:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

We're home. It's been a long afternoon.

They drew more blood, determined her platelets have fallen through the basement floor within the last 19 days. They are sending off samples for TBD testing, results in 5-7 days. In the meantime, we're going forward assuming positive TBD results, because if it is positive, and we wait for confirmation, it may be too late at the rate her platelets are falling. So they gave her an injection of Imidocarb (for possible Babesia) and we'll start Doxycycline tomorrow (he wanted to wait on the Doxy in case Chancy had a reaction to the injection) for possible Erlichia. I don't recall the protocol for RMSF... I seem to recall it's a combo of things.

We are taking her off the Previcox, switching to Tramadol and possibly adding gabapentin in a day or three if the Tram doesn't help her LS pain enough. Once the Previcox is out of her system, we have the option down the road of trying Prednisone (in case it's Lupus or something similar). This also means we can't try the Depo-Medrol shot any time soon. :(

While at the office, I noticed bruising on Chancy's thighs where they had held her up for the blood draws. I was present, so I know they did not manhandle her. The bruises are due to the low platelets. So now we must bubblewrap (figuratively) our girlie, insuring that she doesn't bump into things, fall, etc. And watch for any additional bruising or nosebleeds, which could mean requiring a transfusion.

Due to the low platelets, Chancy is not a candidate for splenectomy at this time. Too high a risk of her bleeding out on the OR table.

The injection was painful, causing Chancy to flinch, twitch violently, and defecate where she lay. :( Then after we left the office, Chancy had terrible diarrhea in the parking lot, in my car, in my yard, and all down her own backside. :cry1

She didn't want to eat her food at first, but willingly ate it once I watered it down into more of a chowder. :chow:

I don't recall what else the vet said about her blood values, because my head is full. :blink:

I'm aware all of this sounds absolutely terrible, but I must say that she is still herself (in a more subdued way). She still stomps my feet and wiggles and grins her gummy grin at me when I touch her leash. She still bounces as well as she can muster toward the garage for car rides. She still begs for treats with the best of 'em.

She's not done yet.

I forgot to mention, on a nice note, that when we arrived home, there was a little gift of Carole's home-made dog food awaiting us. Due to Chancy's tummy upset, I think we'll save that for later. Thanks Carole, that was very sweet! :)

Sending prayers for Chancy. :hope If it is ehrlichia the Doxy should start bringing her platelet count up pretty quickly. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Hindsight is always 20/20 right? After reading up on Imidocarb, I see that the side-effects can be minimized by an injection of Atropine first... :( I wish I'd known that a few hours ago...

She's resting now on her "flat bed" next to me. It's one of two thin baby crib mattresses I bought for her last week when I realized she prefers to lay flat and sprawled due to her uncomfortable swollen belly. :(

I keep telling her "I'm doing everything I can, sweetheart. Everything I can..."