I Lost My Sweet Chancy

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a peaceful night. The most peaceful in recent memory. I startled awake a few times, only because I couldn't hear her breathing. :lol

We did a slow walk around the block this am. Her gait has improved with the easier breathing. She's less wobbly today than she has been for the past few weeks. She has diarrhea, but that's likely due to the anesthesia and the diet changes I've thrown at her the last two days. I expect that to resolve quickly.

We had a minor "incident" when we arrived home from our spin around the block. Just as I was about to coax Chancy indoors, I saw blood pooling around her foot. Around the un-bandaged foot. I quickly realized that they had trimmed her nails way too short yesterday, and Chancy's usual scuffing of her feet on the sidewalk had caused two nails to bleed from the quick. Dang, I'd forgotten how much those buggers can bleed! Our patio looks like a murder scene. :eek: I don't have styptic powder on hand, so I tried to use baking flour, mostly just succeeding in creating a bloody gluey mess. After a few minutes, the bleeding stopped and I put a boot on her for an hour or so, just to prevent her messing with it.

Now the hounds are all napping in their beds, the cats are hunting flies, and my peaceable kingdom prevails once more. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Chancy has all of seven teeth, so she hasn't had any hard crunchy stuff in a looong time. :lol Interestingly, both hubby and I have noticed that the loud "gulping" noise she used to make when swallowing has disappeared. I take that as a good sign. :D

One more positive side-effect from this surgery... I had suspected that Chancy was starting to lose her hearing, but that has improved since yesterday too. I think she just couldn't hear well over her own loud raspy breathing!

Edited by ZoomDoggy

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

So glad you all had a good night!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Here's a pic of the incision. It's about two inches long, and on the left side of her neck. The yellow is just staining from the surgical antiseptic... The incision is looking good so far. No swelling, no redness. :)

post-4518-1186753923_thumb.jpg

Chancy's enjoying a rare and precious sunbeam:

post-4518-1186753937_thumb.jpg

Guest LolasMom

Awww Chancy, I'm so glad you feel better and had a good night sleep. You look so beautiful in that sun beam and your incision should heal up in no time. :wub:

No regrets! Isn't it wonderful!!!

Now if she is dragging her feet due to whatever and it gets worse wearing down her nails try the Soft Claws

See here

2733095990033145412CybLAn_th.jpg

and after

2183096060033145412bhdKan_th.jpg

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Chancy has always been a foot-scuffer the whole two years I've had her (LS). Typically she doesn't bleed from the nails unless I walk her too far over concrete. She usually sticks to walking on the grass alongside the sidewalk. But this time they just cut her nails too short.

Are those Soft Claws available in pet stores or just online?

I'm glad you both had a good night!

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

I buy on line, havn't seen them in pet stores. And if you do use them get the gel glue. I once glued Darius' 2 toes together using the liquid :eek and not knowing this we thought he was losing ground fast he couldn't walk :lol

here>> http://www.softclaws.net/

Edited by Madeara
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

Way to go Chancey! I think of how she had wanted to romp in my backyard and didn't have the breath to do it - and now she will, I just know it! :confetti

I'm thinking with her having the ability to take a real breath for the first time in a long time that she is going to recover quicker than you can imagine. I'll look to see if you're out in the yard Sunday afternoon when I wheel my mom by your house from Sweet Lorraine's to Providence Place.

Way to go! :gh_face Carole

Chancy has always been a foot-scuffer the whole two years I've had her (LS). Typically she doesn't bleed from the nails unless I walk her too far over concrete. She usually sticks to walking on the grass alongside the sidewalk. But this time they just cut her nails too short.

Are those Soft Claws available in pet stores or just online?

I got some for my cat at either Petco or PetSmart.

PetSmart has them

clicky

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Way to go Chancey! I think of how she had wanted to romp in my backyard and didn't have the breath to do it - and now she will, I just know it! :confetti

I'm thinking with her having the ability to take a real breath for the first time in a long time that she is going to recover quicker than you can imagine. I'll look to see if you're out in the yard Sunday afternoon when I wheel my mom by your house from Sweet Lorraine's to Providence Place.

Way to go! :gh_face Carole

I may not be home that afternoon, but if I'm not, my hubby will be. If it's hot out, the pups don't lounge outside much. Don't be shy about knocking on the door if you've a moment to visit. :)

Chancy's pretty new harness arrived today! :yay:

Guest Winterwish
Now the hounds are all napping in their beds, the cats are hunting flies, and my peaceable kingdom prevails once more. :)

:yay:yay:confetti I'm so glad to see this Aimee! That a' girl Chancy! :getwell:heart

Guest Ladyluther

Amiee,

I am totally thrilled to hear about Chancy's progress. She sure is a spunky girl. Please feel free to PM me re: LP recovery. I went through it last year with Luther (he'll be 14 next month) when he almost died at his petsitters house..Long story short, he is doing fine and sends his best wishes.

You all have been through a lot..Chancy is beautiful..bless her brave sweet heart.

Martha and Luther in MA