Deramaxx

Guest weisster

Guest weisster

A friend of mine stopped treating her dog with deramaxx when she read negative reactions (like death) on the internet. Darrel has been on it a year for foot pain. Is it time to stop? I'd like your opinions on it. Thanks

Guest Tenderhearts

I've used it on three of my dogs here, Lori Ann, Toby, and Pikachu, with no problems.

I would recommend having regular bloodwork done when on a medication like that long-term. My dogs just get it on an as-needed basis.

Guest mlcalise

I had Stormy my 15 yo on it with no problems. She was diagnosed with osteosarcoma on her scapula in January and is still going strong. My Doc suggested changing her meds to Previcox (firocoxib) he said it has less sideeffects and is just as effective. Maybe an alternative to think about. If it wasn't for the lump on her scapula I would think she was miss diagnosed!

Have you ever read what tylenol can do to a human?!

Anything is possible but highly unlikely.

Have your dogs blood level checked reguarly and abide by what your vet says. If your dog need it to be comfortable and he is, that's greyt! I had Beau on it when he had his leg accident and it really helped him.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I had my non Grey, Angel on Deramaxx for arthritis. When she went into kidney failure the vet said she thought the Deramaxx was a big contributing factor as it come on suddenly and it was not her food. She was an older dog so it was even harder on her. Be very careful and have his blood checked regularly.

Guest GiJenn51

If you actually look at quite a few drugs, they say death--- welcome to limiting liability. Deramaxx as a whole is a decent drug... you need to keep an eye on the belly and blood work...

Guest LynnM

Nope... I don't worry. *IF* the dog is going to have side effects, it's pretty obvious, and as long as you discontinue meds, it's no big deal. The only severely incapacitated dogs that I've seen from NSAIDS have been ones that started with diarrhea/vomiting and the meds were continued. The meds have VERY large margins of safety for most dogs. I've helped take care of some dogs that have ingested anywhere from 15-30 75 mg Rimadyl and were just fine after a couple of days on fluids.

Lynn

Nope, Deramaxx doesn't make me nervous. It was the only drug (after trying, ascriptin, metacam and herbal remedies) that helped Icarus' pain before we found the acupuncturist.

I figure, the happiness he had and being pain free outweighed the risk of side effects.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

They all make me nervous. I don't take putting medications into my body or my dog's lightly. Neyla had a case of acute kidney failure, from which she actually recovered, and to this day the only thing we can figure caused it was one of her pain meds, or some combination of them (we were changing them somewhat frequently). The kidney problems came out of nowhere, one day she was fine, the next day she was peeing every hour and not concentrating her urine. I thought that at 6 years old I was going to lose her. :(

Anyway, not trying to scare you, for most dogs it will be safe, but I think it's wise to use caution when giving any drug, especially long term. Are there any other options that don't involve meds, acupuncture for instance? If not, at least follow the recommendations here and do bloodwork more routinely.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest KennelMom

It wouldn't necessarily worry me.

Any dog on any of the NSAIDs should have blood work done regulary to check kidneys, liver and platelets.

What she said :nod