Humphrey's Broken His Leg...

Guest grapecat

Guest grapecat

I've never posted before although I read this site all the time for advice - it has been invaluable - thank you.

Humphrey is our adopted greyhound -he's 2 1/2 years old and we've had him for almost 6 months. We've just started letting him off lead as he is finally mastering his "come" command (we live in England). This morning, he was running and tried to turn, wiped out and started screaming - his front leg was snapped above his foot - bone sticking out. We took him to the vet right away and stayed with him until they took him into surgery. They'll ring us when he's out.

We're devastated - they said he'd need to stay in after-care for awhile - he'll be so scared. The vet said there was a high risk of infection with open fractures. Has this happened to anyone before? Any advice on what to expect would be so helpful - we're really upset and scared as well. He's incredibly special to us. (oh no- crying again...)

Thank you

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest grapecat

Thank you all so much -

we just got back from the vet. Because the break was so close to his foot, the vet decided to use pin tracts and external fixators to stabalise the leg and let the bone heal. He's come through the operation and has been transfered to the vet hospital for the night. We should be able to bring him home tomorrow. It looks pretty frightening - all braces and pins, but he's OK and that's what counts. He's on morphine and antibiotics at the moment. we've collapsed with a well-needed drink.

He'll need to rest - no walks or anything for 4 weeks (that should be interesting).

We live in Faversham, Kent by the way :)

Thank you again - your kind words have eased my heart.

-Karly

Yikes. What a scare -- to put it mildly!

Hugs and hopes for quick, thorough healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor Humphrey, what a scare that must have been. I'm so glad that his surgery is over, it sounds like the vet did all the right things. Sending prayers for good healing. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Grapecat, I have a friend who's greyhound had a similar open fracture. Her dog also had the external hardware. She has completely recovered. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Machbragal

Hi there and welcome to this site. I am sorry it was under such terrible circumstances. Boy, what a scary accident. I hope that his recovery is smooth and complete.

I've never had a dog with a broken leg, but my cat, Rusty, broke his back leg in January. He wore a cast for seven weeks (several casts actually -- he got very good at getting them off). The whole experience was so stressful and I was so worried about him. He had surgery, too. But I can tell you that we got through it and now Rusty has completely healed. I can't tell you what a joy it is now to see him running on all fours. I wasn't sure that we were going to ever see that again.

Hang in there -- you will need a lot of patience. Just love your baby boy every day. Help him through it. It will be difficult for him. But he can do it! I am so grateful you are doing everything you can for this special dog.