Bloat

Good morning,

We just got our grey about a week ago and are puzzled by a few things.

To prevent bloat we were told no exercise for one hour before and one hour after eating. Does exercise mean no short walks (1/2 mile, no running) or are they talking about a run or fast walk which will get your dog panting?

We are feeding her 1X per day in the morning (4 cups) instead of 2X (2 cups each). Four cups looks like a lot of food at one time. What is everyone else doing?

She wasn't drinking so we put chicken broth in her water and she downs it fast. This is after she eats and after her short walk.

Reading the other comments on this site got me thinking. I want to make sure we do what's right for our grey. We already planned to take her to the vet for a complete check-up next week.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

I'd suggest feeding twice daily instead of once. It's easier on their high-metabolism systems. (If I only ate once a day, I'd be insane with hunger by nightfall) And leash walking before and after is fine. But nothing strenuous, no running/jogging until she's had some time to digest.

Congrats on your new greyhound! What's her name? Where are the photos?? :D

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest KennelMom

We feed twice a day, though they only eat once per day at the track. I think they like having two meals to look forward to every day and we have some that will puke bile if their stomachs sit empty. I believe they recommend smaller meals over the course of the day for dogs who have a high risk of bloat or have bloated before.

By exercise they mean, well, exercise. In my mind that includes walks or strenuous running. We don't go for long walks just before or after meals, and while some pups get post-meal zoomies in the yard they are just doing a lap or two and then settling down. I wouldn't take them to playgroup where they will be running for 30+ minutes. When I had to leash walk the pups, we'd do a post meal potty walk, but that was a much slower pace with stops for the pottying part...not like an "exercise walk"...more of a stroll, which I think is ok.

4 cups does seem like a lot of food...what are you feeding?

I'd suggest feeding twice daily instead of once. It's easier on their high-metabolism systems. (If I only ate once a day, I'd be insane with hunger by nightfall) And leash walking before and after is fine. But nothing strenuous, no running/jogging until she's had some time to digest.

Congrats on your new greyhound! What's her name? Where are the photos?? :D

Her name is Alexis. She very timid but sweet. Don't have pictures yet but I will get some so I can post and brag.

We feed twice a day, though they only eat once per day at the track. I think they like having two meals to look forward to every day and we have some that will puke bile if their stomachs sit empty. I believe they recommend smaller meals over the course of the day for dogs who have a high risk of bloat or have bloated before.

By exercise they mean, well, exercise. In my mind that includes walks or strenuous running. We don't go for long walks just before or after meals, and while some pups get post-meal zoomies in the yard they are just doing a lap or two and then settling down. I wouldn't take them to playgroup where they will be running for 30+ minutes. When I had to leash walk the pups, we'd do a post meal potty walk, but that was a much slower pace with stops for the pottying part...not like an "exercise walk"...more of a stroll, which I think is ok.

4 cups does seem like a lot of food...what are you feeding?

I thought four cups was a lot for one meal too. Purina Chicken & Rice (hard). I just do an easy walk on the leash about 15 minutes.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest KennelMom

I've found that if you follow the feeding guidelines on the bag, you'll most likely end up with a fat greyhound. If they give you a range for her weight, go with the lower recommended amount and you may have to lower it even more if she starts to put on weight. Remember that treats are calories too! So if you are giving treats, take that into account when you measure out her meals. Our dogs get 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups twice a day of Diamond Naturals...a full cup less than their recommended amount. Some dogs are great self-regulators too, so the more food in over what their body needs, the more they poop out.

You should be fine with an easy 15 minute walk.

Guest hamiesmom

My boy usually gets a potty leash walk before breakfast and dinner. By the time, I put his food together, etc. it is about 15 - 20 mins. Hamie is 66lbs. and gets fed 1 1/2 cups of Orijen kibble twice a day with a spoonful of canned tripe and supplements. He is greyt looking 9yr old boy.

It looks like I'm going to repeat what everyone else says about feeding. Split it in two.

And for exercise, you can think of how it works for you. You walk from one end of the house to the other. That's just relocating. But you go outside, pick up the pace, pump the arms and your exercising.

Same with the grey. They dont' need to be locked up before and after a meal. Just not a major exercise.

She sounds sweet................ :rules:digicam (translated....da rules.......we want pix!!)

Guest Spoiledhound

I feed 2 meals a day. I have an 85 pound boy that gets 4 cups of food a day. Most of my female fosters usually get between 3 and 3 1/2 cups per day. I did have one girl that got 4 cups. Don't know where she put it all.

Guest GreyDogsRule

I also feed twice daily and think it works out best for the hounds. Two of my hounds (1 at the bridge) have had what our vet called "empty stomach syndrome." When their stomach is empty, they start making the loudest groaning sounds I have ever heard from dog or human. It makes them very uncomfortable and getting food back in their stomach is the only way to stop it. The problem is, they sometimes don't want to eat because their tummies hurt. The good news is that it doesn’t happen too often.

As far as feeding quantity goes, it seems to very a lot between the dog, what they are eating and their age. Mine eat Eagle Pack Holistic. Our little 54 pound 4 year old female eats 2 level cups twice daily. Her racing weight was 52 pounds. She actually looks a bit thin to me because you can see her vertebrae, but I think some dogs are just like that. Our larger 3 year old male weighs in at 82 (racing weight @ 79 lbs) and eats 3 level cups of the same food twice daily. Both dogs definitely show some rib and have a well defined waistline.

Watch your new hounds weight carefully and adjust her food as needed to keep her fit and trim.

Congratulations on your new grey.

Guest wrldruler

I usually gauge by the amount of panting they are doing.

They will hardly pant after a normal walk on a cool day. And they will recover fast after one or two zoomies. So I relax the 60 minute rule in these cases.

But long walks, lots of zooomies, or anything on a hot day will turn them into panting pacers. I withhold food until they are relaxed, and try to hit the 60 minute rule. Nelly helps enforece this rule because she will throw up a little if I feed her too close to excericing or heat.

- Chris

First, feeding her four cups at one time is really not the best thing to do for her. It will be healthier for her if you feed 2 cups twice daily. Don't cut back on the amount total per day until you see how she does, meaning if she loses weight or gains too much on the four cups. Dogs are like people, four cups may make one dog porky while another dog may stay rail thin on that amount. It also depends on what food you are feeding. The calories differ from one food to another. I can feed my 90 pound male the same as my 65 pound female and she doesn't gain and he doesn't lose (weight).

No exercise means just that, especially in summer where they heat up very quickly. No walks other then short (10-15 minutes) walks to potty, no running zoomies.

Now that the business is over...pictures? :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest meandmygreys

I feed Justy 2 1/2 cups in the morning and again at night.This is a 85-90 pound Greyhound ! Goose gets 2 cups 2x a day..He's probably closer to 75-80 pounds...Bonnie got all she would hold in her later years...I'd be scared to add chicken broth to the drinking water for fear they'd inhale the whole bowl and then go yack it up somewhere. :eek ( Probably in the middle of my bed.......... :blink: ) you just have to feed for the desired weight then maintain it...Mine go out right after they eat..to do their business...then come back in..I have never had a problem. :colgate

ETA> :welcome

Edited by meandmygreys

No exercise one hour before and two hours after (not one hour). Excercise is stress. So, if it's a gorgeous 50 degree day, I would do a slow walk for 10 minutes or so after eating. If it's 90 out, I'd do 2 minutes. If going to the vet, either feed several hours before or wait until getting home and feed once calmed down. No zoomies before or after :)

I feed twice a day also.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Redpack

I have two males, 85 and 92 pounds. They eat four cups a day....1 1/2 in the morning...1 1/2 after work and 1 before bed. One has a sensitive stomach and with vomit bile if his stomach is empty. I have always waited the 2 hours after they eat before their walks just to be safe, but this doesn't stop them from doing zoomies in the yard!

Congratulations and welcome!

My boy usually gets a potty leash walk before breakfast and dinner. By the time, I put his food together, etc. it is about 15 - 20 mins. Hamie is 66lbs. and gets fed 1 1/2 cups of Orijen kibble twice a day with a spoonful of canned tripe and supplements. He is greyt looking 9yr old boy.

That's exactly what my 8 year old boy gets. Well so does 3 year old Jill. Slightly less kibble. We occasionally will walk before supper but it is leisurely although it may be at least half an hour. No problems. We do wait an hour for a walk after a meal and don't run for at least 2.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia gets 3/4 of a cup of kibble twice,,and her cookies make her total food input to about 2 1/2 to 3 cups per day. We make beef broth by just boiling stewing meat. Its the sodium we are trying to keep her away from.

Guest D_MansMommy

Hi and welcome :)

We feed our greys EVO. They get one cup in the morning, one cup in the evening and a quarter cup before bedtime. We wait 2 hours after a meal before any serious play time or long walks.

Guest PNWtrillium
And for exercise, you can think of how it works for you. You walk from one end of the house to the other. That's just relocating. But you go outside, pick up the pace, pump the arms and your exercising.

"Relocating." LOL!

OP, congrts on your new pup!

I feed my girls 1.5 cups twice a day. They get kibble only and I generally limit treats. They range in weight from 60 lbs for Kara to 65 for Nadia and around 70 for Honey (who, according to her records, was 69 when she was spayed). Many folks feed from raised feeders to reduce the possibility of bloat. I don't believe this si the case while they are racing. I have read that AKC hounds are more suspectible to bloat that NGA dogs.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)