Rawhide Blockage

Guest sweetiesmom

Guest sweetiesmom

I gave my new grey, Jax, a rawhide yesterday (before I knew it was a giant no-no). I noticed vomit (just water) when I got home and then in the middle of the night he started heaving like he was trying to dislodge something. He threw up several hours later (water again) He is acting normal otherwise. Today when I went home at lunch it looked like he threw up water he drank. Is there anything I can do to try and help him move the rawhide out?

Guest KennelMom

^^^^ Yep. A blockage can be very serious and turn really bad, really quickly. Your vet will be able to determine the best and safest course of action if, in fact, your dog has a blockage.

Guest sweetiesmom
^^^^ Yep. A blockage can be very serious and turn really bad, really quickly. Your vet will be able to determine the best and safest course of action if, in fact, your dog has a blockage.

he is eating, pooping and peeing and drinking water. He had the rawhide yesterday around 8 am. No bloat. has been walking outside and lounging, doesn't seem to be in discomfort. DH said he took 3 cookies from him this afternoon before he went back to work.

Guest trevdog

Lightly push on his stomach, does he act uncomfortable or throw up? Is he acting normally other than that?

I went through this just a few weeks ago, Dallas was eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normally. Then she started acting lethargic and threw up a small amount of breakfast, then small amounts of water in a two hour time and she would still take food when offered. Off to the vets and found she had intestinal blockage and needed emergency surgery to remove a tiny bit of a toy that had foam in it. The foam had allowed water and some food to pass until it got saturated, therefore she was still peeing normally.

After that scare, I wouldn't waste any time getting to the vet.

Edited by trevdog

Guest sheila
he is eating, pooping and peeing and drinking water. He had the rawhide yesterday around 8 am. No bloat. has been walking outside and lounging, doesn't seem to be in discomfort. DH said he took 3 cookies from him this afternoon before he went back to work.

Just the same I still vote for a vet visit. If a piece of rawhide got ingested w/o being chewed it's not likely to breakdown and pass through the system normally. I could still be sitting in there somewhere and cause further issues in the next day or two. I would take him to the vet now rather than wait and see and have it be a Sunday morning when something starts happening and no vets available.

Guest KennelMom

We had a foster that had an intestinal blockage from kennel carpet that he ate at the track. He was here with us for a little over a month and ate/drank fine. Poo'd fine. Then he started vomiting and acting lethargic. No abdominal tenderness and he always was able to poo. It turns out the blockage was where his stomach emptied into his intestines and it was a partial blockage, allowing food and water to pass by, but the intestines were dying just the same. He didn't have any of the 'normal' blockage signs and ultimately passed away from complications from the surgery which removed a large portion of intestines. :(

When a dog ingests something abnormal or that could cause a blockage (like rawhide! - and I don't allow it in my kennel or to be given to my own dogs because of blockage risks) I just don't like to take any chances. Will it pass normally? Probably...most things do...but the unproductive vomitting was his body trying to get rid of something it didn't like being there.

Guest gr84me

Get to a vet.

Brody had a similar experience a week after chewing up a soft rubber toy. There's an old thread somewhere here about it ...

Don't let the vet use a barium x-ray if they suggest that (some things don't show up on regular X-rays). Ask them to use a substitute for barium.

Hope Jax is OK and let us all know. One of the first things I was told prior to adopting was NO: Rawhide of any kind, including any kind of bully stix and also grennies.

My vet is against all of them too. He says it limits his surgerys by telling me that, (meaning that there would be no surgery for obstruction if everyone listened) but it's the truth.

Get to a vet.

Brody had a similar experience a week after chewing up a soft rubber toy. There's an old thread somewhere here about it ...

Don't let the vet use a barium x-ray if they suggest that (some things don't show up on regular X-rays). Ask them to use a substitute for barium.

Just curious, why?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Hope Jax is OK and let us all know. One of the first things I was told prior to adopting was NO: Rawhide of any kind, including any kind of bully stix and also grennies.

My vet is against all of them too. He says it limits his surgerys by telling me that, (meaning that there would be no surgery for obstruction if everyone listened) but it's the truth.

Get to a vet.

Just curious, why?

If surgery is required, barium can seep out of the bowel and into the abdominal cavity. Hard to "clean up" and would be seen on future xrays which could confuse a diagnosis. I'ts been so long since I did those kind of xray studies on humans....I think you can use (something like) Omnipaque. It's clear, can be seen on an xray at the time, soon absorbs, and wouldn't be seen in the future. Same things for humans - avoid barium if surgery is imminent.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest gr84me

Get to a vet.

Just curious, why?

If surgery is required, barium can seep out of the bowel and into the abdominal cavity. Hard to "clean up" and would be seen on future xrays which could confuse a diagnosis. I'ts been so long since I did those kind of xray studies on humans....I think you can use (something like) Omnipaque. It's clear, can be seen on an xray at the time, soon absorbs, and wouldn't be seen in the future. Same things for humans - avoid barium if surgery is imminent.

Exactly. I've forgotten what other substances can be used. The first vet I took Brody to wanted to schedule a barium X-ray if "he didn't get any better" in the next few days but something in my instincts said that didn't seem right, so I took him to another grey-savvy e-vet with lots of experience with obstructions. If Brody'd had a barium X-ray, they would not have been able to do the surgery and he wouldn't have made it. The vet told me the substitute they use but I've forgotten the name.