Brandy Is Throwing Up Every Morning

20.jpg

Brandy has been puking every morning for the past week or so. I have tried a biscuit first thing and some days that works. I put her out rather quickly on the hope that I can get her to barf in the yard, so I can just hose it away. It is not a large amount, but gooey yellow stuff. Somedays, she will eat some grass and then throw up.

Afterwards, on the days that she feels like eating breakfast, she will. This week, I am offering tuna, so she has been eating. She does always eat dinner. I have been cooking chicken and veggies for them for the past few months since the recall. She will not eat raw, but the boys will.

She is so thin, I don't even want to know what she weighs. My daughter says she looks brittle. Just when I think that she looks so weak, she runs laps in the yard. I worry about her. She was 12 in April.

I gave her two handfulls of kibble last night at around 11:30 PM. I gave her a biscuit when she got up and so far today, no puke.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Maybe giving her a treat right before bed time will help. Sounds like she gets an empty tummy and becomes sick from it.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest trevdog

Yellow stuff means her tummy is empty and she needs something in it. Can you try feeding her earlier or giving some bedtime treats?

Has she been checked out by a vet recently? It could be so many things. Kidney disease is one I'd be wondering about since she's a golden oldie.

If she's AOK, then it could be an upset tummy, or that she's too hungry. Have you tried offering her a plain breakfast cereal with milk? We have some over here that are literally just wheat with nothing added, and I do sometimes give those for breakfast. You might find she's keener if you warm the milk slightly. It coats the stomach nicely and can help to settle them, and also, it's a few extra calories for her.

You could also try live yoghurt. Mine both LOVE yogurt - they have it for a treat sometimes. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I too would suggest the extra handful of food, or a piece of bred before going to bed. The bile-y stiff comes up with am empty stomach, hopefully if there was a little food in there over night this will stop happening.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Agree with all the rest.....this is usually because the tummy is too empty. I give mine a handful of her normal kibble right at bedtime to see her through the night and the problem has stopped completely. You could cut down a little on her other meals if you find she is putting on weight but I would try this for a few nights first before worrying or making a vet visit if she seems fine otherwise.

Sue from England

Putting on too much weight won't be a problem. She is very thin and always has been.

I usually give a good night cookie after the last potty and since Len is home recovering from surgery, not getting up at 5:30 am for work, they are eating a later breakfast, around 8:00 am. It never occured to me, but this started since he has been home on disability. I remember from previous threads about giving something on an empty stomach, so I have been giving the cookie, but sometimes she barfs before I can get the cookie to her.

Though we don't keep bread in the house for us, I will buy a package to give her a slice at bedtime. Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel better, now, I will make her feel better.

Guest meandmygreys
Putting on too much weight won't be a problem. She is very thin and always has been.

I usually give a good night cookie after the last potty and since Len is home recovering from surgery, not getting up at 5:30 am for work, they are eating a later breakfast, around 8:00 am. It never occured to me, but this started since he has been home on disability. I remember from previous threads about giving something on an empty stomach, so I have been giving the cookie, but sometimes she barfs before I can get the cookie to her.

Though we don't keep bread in the house for us, I will buy a package to give her a slice at bedtime. Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel better, now, I will make her feel better.

It could be possible that the stress in the home is making her upset...Not your fault..but it is possible..the "break" in her routine could have her topsy turvy. Maybe she is picking up the vibes in the house and reacting on them..Just a thought. :colgate:colgate

Guest JillyBean30

Hello Houndtime. How ironic!! I just logged in to start my own thread about Ripley, as he has been throwing up most days this week. Ripley's only been home with us for about 3 months, so I'm still investigating kibbles to find one that I'm completely happy with. I thought perhaps the one I had picked wasn't agreeing with him! Same thing as you describe - he either brings up plain yellowish bile, or goes out and eats grass and brings up the same mixed with the grass. He then proceeds to devour his breakfast, though, and is at a good weight. He's 3 years old next week.

I will stop on my way home tonight and get some plain yougurt just for him, and try either some bread or kibble before bedtime. Might have to adjust suppertime!

Thank you for reading my mind, and to the others for the advice! :thumbs-up

Hope this works for Brandy as well, and that your sweet girl is OK. :getwell

It could be possible that the stress in the home is making her upset...Not your fault..but it is possible..the "break" in her routine could have her topsy turvy. Maybe she is picking up the vibes in the house and reacting on them..Just a thought. :colgate:colgate

Break in the routine, is possible, but I don't think she is upset. She is a daddy's girl and loves having him home with her all day. Since he is home from the hospital, she lays in whatever room he is in. But thanks for the thought.

Guest KennelMom

With her age and this being a new behavior, I'd probably have a senior blood panel done on her just to make sure her blood levels are where they should be.

Advice above is good.

From personal experience, giving a treat, bread or kibble before bed is a greyt idea. It works well in our house.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Any change in food, treats, or your feeding schedule? And are you feeding Nutro by any chance? It gave my dogs the morning urpies, which stopped as soon as we switched to a different food. I've since learned that many dogs have this reaction to it.

Guest LolasMom

A little bread or plain mashed white potato before bed and early in the am worked with my girl. :chow

Edited by LolasMom

Any change in food, treats, or your feeding schedule? And are you feeding Nutro by any chance? It gave my dogs the morning urpies, which stopped as soon as we switched to a different food. I've since learned that many dogs have this reaction to it.

Nope to the Nutro. I have been feeding Kirkland Chicken and Rice for over a year now. I will try a little kibble tonight before bed and lets see what happens tomorrow in the morning. They all get yogurt in the morning and digestive enzymes with each meal.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, suggestions and ideas. I'll let you know tomorrow if the bedtime kibble works.

Good girl Brandy! :yay

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Your Brandy is so elegant looking, just REGAL! :wub:

Put a crown on that lady's head!! :star

Last night I gave her two full sized biscuits at about 1 AM. I got home very late so her treats were much later than normal. This morning I gave her a piece of rye bread before I let the dogs out and we had success today too. No barfing yellow goop.

Funny you should say to put a crown on her head; we call her our Princess. And, thanks; we think she is beautiful too.