Jane Update --- 8/13/07 Post 46 (pg 3)

Guest VelvetEars

Guest VelvetEars

Jane went to visit her regular vet today for a checkup. He said to take her off the eye ointment, because it's causing irritation. Her pupils are the same size and reactive. He thinks she probably is seeing, but whether or not her brain can always interpret what she's seeing is iffy - and because she can't tell us, of course, we'll never know for sure.

He's impressed by how much she's recovered, and said this might be as much as she gets back. I'd really like to see her do stairs on her own again, but he said she's still not sure where her back legs are in relation to the rest of her body, so she might not. (I did hear a strange noise today, and she was in the basement whining - she went down 7 steps to a landing, and then another 4 into the basement. She couldn't get back up, of course. Silly girl.)

He watched her goose-stepping walk and immediately said that the clot is in her cerebellum - he's not sure if that will help the Mizzou vets, but FWIW, that's where it is. He hasn't seen goose-stepping in a long time, but is positive in his diagnosis.

She's back up to 65 lbs - I don't know what she was when she left Mizzou, but I can tell she's filled out a little. She had been 74 lbs at her last regular vet visit, so that's a big drop, but she still looks good, so I'm not going to try to pack on the pounds. She's hard enough to carry when I have to - no sense making it harder on myself.

Getting her blood pressure monitored may be a little difficult - he doesn't have the machine, so I'll have to call around and see where we can get it done. I'll check with our group's director - she probably knows.

She'll go back for another check when she's finished with the last of her meds (Doxy, I think?). It's about another 4 or 5 weeks.

A neurology tech called today to follow up on her - I didn't think to ask her if the neospora results are back from Alabama State. I've emailed the vet student who was Jane's primary caretaker to see if she knows anything.

I think that about wraps up the lastest and greatest on Lady Jane. :)

Edited by VelvetEars

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gr84me

Continued prayers and good wishes on the way for Jane, and hugs for you. I hope you can get some rest soon; I can imagine how stressful this must be for you.

Guest LynnM

The best, most time tested way to teach back-end awareness to a dog is to get an extendable ladder, extend it as long as it will go, and lay it flat on the ground and walk the dog through the rungs.

MOST dogs don't know where their back end is... it's not something that happens with lack of sight. It really is a skill that must be taught- sighted or not.

Lynn

Guest PiagetsMom

It's so good to hear how far Jane has come. Here's hoping the Mizzou vets can offer some further help and that the days ahead bring more good things for her. Thanks for the update :)

Good to hear Jane is better and hope she continues to get stronger. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Good to hear Jane is better and hope she continues to get stronger. :)

same here. sending lots of prayers for you and Jane.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest VelvetEars

Jane continues to get better....she's doing stairs largely on her own, with a lot of encouragement and a few slips here and there. It's kind of funny to watch her go up - she taps on each step several times with one paw before committing to it, much like a blind person with a cane. But if it works for her....!!! Strangely enough, she does better for DH than she does for me - maybe because she knows I'll step in and help her, and he won't. :blush

So for the past few nights, she's been able to sleep upstairs with us. This morning, she even got on the bed with me after DH got up, w/o any help! She's still unsteady on her feet sometimes, but most of the time she's able to get around w/ few problems. I feel so unbelievably blessed.

And I'd like to say a very special THANK YOU to our guardian angel -- you know who you are.

Edited by VelvetEars