Just One Of Those Days

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

Everyone on here has such devestating medical issues, that I feel a little silly posting this, but I guess I just need to get it out and possibly hear some words of encouragement.

Soul has been my bald belly and butt guy since I accidentally got him near the end of November. He's longer and taller than most boys, so of course we thought the baldness was attributable to being in a run most of his life. I started brushing him and giving him fish oil daily, and little tufts of hair started growing in. His coat always has been, and still is thin.

He had a crusty nose when he came to me, and with bag balm and the end of winter it went away. Now it's back, along with pimples on his belly and butt. Lots of them. His eyes have been bothering him, and now he is losing hair there too. And tonight he was doing zoomies in the yard, when Archie got in the way and he clipped a lawn chair and cut his leg. He's now crashed on the couch, and I'm looking at his cut, his bald butt with pimples, his crusty nose, his eyes, and I just want to cry. I feel like I'm failing him :cry1

We have a vet appt on Friday. We're going to talk about eye allergies, possible staph, thyroid, possible Lupus. Poor little, big guy . . . .he's such a happy doofus, and such a great meet and greet dog, I feel like a bad Mom because all these issues. Good news is, my unemployment was approved, so the bills will be a bit easier to manage . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

If he is eating well, happy, playful & no diarrhea then try not to worry too much. To me that's what is most important. Maybe somebody here will post a certain brand of kibble that may help with his skin issues. Or maybe do a search on this forum. He was very skinny when I fostered him; has been gaining weight?

Guest SoulsMom
If he is eating well, happy, playful & no diarrhea then try not to worry too much. To me that's what is most important. Maybe somebody here will post a certain brand of kibble that may help with his skin issues. Or maybe do a search on this forum. He was very skinny when I fostered him; has been gaining weight?

Oh yeah, he's around 82lbs now, and still very svelte (sp?) Just can't grow any darn hair, clear up his pimples, or fix the crusty nose . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom
Are they pimples, or blackheads? How dense are they, i.e., how far apart are they?

Any chance it's an environmental allergy- like to grass?

Not blackheads . . . . . .they used to be far apart, but I noticed a cluster on his bum this weekend

Could be staph, could be allergy ... but you might also want to run a tick panel on him if you haven't yet.

Don't fret about the hair. Joseph hasn't grown more than a bit of fringe and fuzz on his buttsky. Zema's butt goes bald every summer. We here think bald is beautiful :lol .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SoulsMom
Could be staph, could be allergy ... but you might also want to run a tick panel on him if you haven't yet.

Don't fret about the hair. Joseph hasn't grown more than a bit of fringe and fuzz on his buttsky. Zema's butt goes bald every summer. We here think bald is beautiful :lol .

What does a tick panel entail? He's only had one tick since his gotcha day, and that was back in November. I noticed today that he's getting more pimples on his belly. Could it be the heat?

Thanks for everyones suggestions and encouragement. Guess I'm bored cause I'm out of work and over worrying everything :rolleyes:

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest jurishound

What does a tick panel entail? He's only had one tick since his gotcha day, and that was back in November. I noticed today that he's getting more pimples on his belly. Could it be the heat?

Thanks for everyones suggestions and encouragement. Guess I'm bored cause I'm out of work and over worrying everything :rolleyes:

Hi SoulsMom - Thanks for making those GAA calls! A tick panel is basically a blood test - the lab analyzes antigens in the hound's blood sample that reflect his or her exposure to various tick-borne pathogens. Regretfully, hounds (and people!) can harbor these pathogens for years without showing any symptoms, so a tick bite from long ago could be causing problems. Sounds more thyroid related to me, though he would likely be putting on weight. Hope it's something very benign and easily treatable - good luck!

Edited by jurishound

Guest SoulsMom

Thanks for all the input everyone! We're back from the vet, and as usual, Soul charmed everyone. The vet himself couldn't stop gushing about how gorgeous Soul is. I was a proud Momma B)

He took some blood, and his pee for testing. He also took pictures of Souls nose and eyes to consult with other vets about a possible autoimmune disorder. He did say it does look that way . . . . Since I'm not ready to have Soul sedated for a biopsy, we're going to wait to see what the blood tests show, then discuss a supplement and diet routine.

He thinks Souls "pimples" are a staph infection, so we came home with antibiotics and drops for his eyes in case they are infected as well. Has anyone ever had to use eye drops and what was prescribed??

Guest luluaz

Has anyone ever had to use eye drops and what was prescribed??

Falcon Brand, for various stuff, like conjunctivitus and pannus--I think they are a steroidal compound.

What kind was he prescribed?

Lisa

Have you tried supplements for the hair? Rogaine? Just kidding... We use missing link and they each get a pet tab once a day.

I have no idea what their coats would be like without it since I had it in the house before I had the dogs (It was advised by my first group) BUT, all three of my greys have shiny coats. Teddy and Chloe who came off the track with a bald butt, have about 50% of their hair back already. Beau actually has thick furry butt but he had more hair to begin with.

Just like for us, vitamins and minerals help, they help the dogs too.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project