Knukles Seem Swollen

Guest flhusker

Guest flhusker

I've seen lots of discussions on here but I've not seen anything on this before.

Fame is 8 yrs almost 9 yrs old. We've had him for 3 almost 4 years. And yes we've struggled with fleas and worms this year which is something we've not gone through before with any of our greys.

Now something new had popped up and I do mean popped up. The knuckles on Fame's toes seem to be swollen. Anyway they look very big. They don't appear to be tender to the touch because he let's me touch and rub them. It does not seem to effect the way he walks. He still loves his morning and evening walks - although the evening ones are getting later and later due to the heat.

Has anyone experienced something like this before and any idea what it can be.

DH has a vet appointment later this week with him.

Guest minzenon

Ice them and keep icing them, that way you when the swelling goes down you will be able to see if its a dislocated toe, bite, etc plus the vet will have more of a chance to see without having the expense of xrays.

OPS - I forgot to mention that it's not just one toe but all toes on all four paws. flhusker

I know it's on all four toes, but do they look like this?

andytoe1.jpg

Andy has this problem a while back and he had xrays, but there was nothing bad there. He now has another toe like this on his back foot and doesn't seem bothered by it. The vet said its more than likely a sprain and that's the scar tissue in the joint. Bailey also has this on her front toe and again the xrays came back clean

Both of them run and play and walk without any problems. Although, since it's on all four toes and all four paws - a vet check is definetly a good idea.

Guest flhusker
OPS - I forgot to mention that it's not just one toe but all toes on all four paws. flhusker

I know it's on all four toes, but do they look like this?

andytoe1.jpg

Andy has this problem a while back and he had xrays, but there was nothing bad there. He now has another toe like this on his back foot and doesn't seem bothered by it. The vet said its more than likely a sprain and that's the scar tissue in the joint. Bailey also has this on her front toe and again the xrays came back clean

Both of them run and play and walk without any problems. Although, since it's on all four toes and all four paws - a vet check is definetly a good idea.

That's exactly what it looks like but he has no hair on the toes and it's on all toes on all paws. We take him to the vet later this week. flhusker

Jim had this as he got older, and now Jack's getting it too. Jim had horrible arthritis, and it seemed to me that I could feel little calcified bits in those bumps on the ligaments - now I can feel the same things forming over some of Jack's toes. They are mobile - not attached to the bone. They don't stop him running and playing.

I asked the vet about it a couple of weeks ago when Jack went for his booster shots. He agreed that it was an age-related thing and most likely calcified bits on the ligaments. All my dogs get glucosamine/chondroitin etc supplements when they get to be seniors but it doesn't seem to help this.

Not much help, I know...

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest flhusker
Is the area where the hair is gone red, weepy looking...does it smell bad ?? Just pulling at straws...

The area where the hair is gone is a little red - more pinkish. Not weepy looking and does not smell.

We have a vet appointment at 10:30 in the morning. flhusker

It could be allergies or arthritis. Hugs to you both, I hope you have a cure soon!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC