New Grey Falls On Hip To Lie Down, Doesn't Crouch Down On All 4s

Guest coaster

Guest coaster

When our new boy lies down, he kind of just falls onto his bony hip, and it looks like it would be painful and bad for his joints. He never lies down on his belly on all fours to rest, with his weight evenly placed; he either stands or falls on that hip. I'm wondering if there's anything wrong with it. Do greys have hip problems, or do they all just rest differently? He's about 70lbs, not a huge hound but not small either.

Guest Cris_M

So yours is related to my two? (Which would be a feat since my two aren't related to each other!) I call it "Bag of Bones Falling Down". How can an animal that is so graceful in motion be so totally spastic doing something as simple as lying down?

My big Al has done that all his life. He's 90+ pounds and makes a LOUD KERPLUNK on our hardwood floors. (He prefers the floor to any of the bazillion dog beds or couches he could choose!)

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Pinky does that too...I think it's because she's awkward :lol She will sphynx sometimes too but usually she just throws her butt down :blink:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Batman did it from the first day he came home. In my house in Georgia, if he was upstairs and I was down, it sounded like a sonic boom :lol :lol :lol .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest coaster

thank goodness these replies are so funny. I remember three years ago when we got our first girl and I obsessed over all of this. We've had him exactly one week and have been to the vet twice already. What a worrywort.

Bag of Bones Falling Down :laughitup

sonic boom :lol :lol :lol
Edited by coaster

Guest rosebudd

Leo did that at first when he came home. He would kinda half squat and then flop over on his side :blink: it was funnier than hell to watch. He has learned to be a little bit more graceful, I think the hardwood floors were starting to hurt :rolleyes:

Guest LynnM
My big Al has done that all his life. He's 90+ pounds and makes a LOUD KERPLUNK on our hardwood floors. (He prefers the floor to any of the bazillion dog beds or couches he could choose!)

I've always called it his "cow tipping" maneuver :)

Lynn

Guest 2greygirls

Marble throws herself down sometimes...even on concrete. It actually hurts when she lands on me in bed. She's 11 and it hasn't seemed to have bothered her yet, so you are probably fine...try to notice if he favors a hip while moving. I'd be more concerned if he actually moved lame.

Another one here, Romi can shake the house when he goes down - he weighs 92 pounds! But he's lost weight, he was 95 pounds a few months ago :lol

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest RosiesMom

Happens here too! DH calls it Rosie's Body Slam. The first time I heard it from the floor below her, I thought she'd knocked over a major piece of furniture!

As long as there is not obvious pain involved, I wouldn't worry.

Guest FullMetalFrank

When Frank flops down on his upstairs bed, he rattles all the pots and pans on my hanging pot rack downstairs! And, it does sound like he's knocked over something big.

Yup, happens here too. Atlas will do it on the hardwood floor and it does make quite the boom when he does it. Orion does it too, but he prefers the softer carpet. It's still a loud thud though.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest seaturtle123

Oh I am so relieved to see this post! I have had Babs one month now & this subject is(was) one of my concerns. She flings herself down on her bony hip & I cringe listening to the noise! When on the hard floor, she does it in slow motion with a little leg shaking & then flops. So glad to hear my girl is normal.

Guest Oh_Greyt

Nina lets her upper body and head just plunk down when she is very tired - it sounds horrible!

Off subject, but where in Atlanta are you? We're here too!