Age Related Weak Hind End And Incontinence

Guest greygirls2

Guest greygirls2

My almost 12 year old girl has been experiencing some hind end weakness such as shaking after exercise or standing too long. She's also had a few episodes of urine incontinence when relaxing or sleeping, just a dribble but she is mortified! I know Prion is usually given for the incontinence but wondered if anyone here has had good results using holistic remedies? I've been checking the web but there are som many things out ther, I'd rather get something that's tried and true. There is one site which has a remedy for the rear weakness and the incontinence but that company is in Australia and the shipping is almost as much as the product. Anyone out here have some advice on this? Cali would very much appreciate it because she is my little queen and I know this is really upsetting to her. :blush

Guest LolasMom

Acupuncture and herbs worked wonders on my two seniors, both 15 at the time. :wub:

Acupuncture is awfully pricey especially if you are consistant and keep with it, but it made an unbelievable difference in the quality of life and happiness. No pain meds needed even up until they passed on. I can't remeber the name of the herb but I'll try and get it for you. In one of my fur babies the leaking was directly related to a spot (nerves) in her back that were affected by arthritis :wacko: and the acupuncture always helped enormously with that. :thumbs-up

I'll get back with the name of that "leaking" herb.

Diana

Edited by LolasMom

are you positive she doesn't have a UTI...I would probably give her a run of antibiotics to see if that fixes the incontinence.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Brandy_b

Trying some natural remedies is worthy trying I think :) You could always order a small quantity to try then decide if it works for her or not. Shiela here on gt also makes "panties" for the dogs, maybe you could order one of those for her. You jsut put a pad in them and they stay on super good!!!

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Guest luluaz

QUOTE(Brandy_b @ Jul 6 2007, 10:41 AM) 2847270[/snapback]
Trying some natural remedies is worthy trying I think :) You could always order a small quantity to try then decide if it works for her or not. Shiela here on gt also makes "panties" for the dogs, maybe you could order one of those for her. You jsut put a pad in them and they stay on super good!!!

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

What is her greytalk moniker? I need some "panties" for Miss Gypsy at night! :P

Lisa

Guest meandmygreys
QUOTE(Brandy_b @ Jul 6 2007, 10:41 AM) 2847270[/snapback]

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

What is her greytalk moniker? I need some "panties" for Miss Gypsy at night! :P

Lisa

I believe it's just"SHEILA"

Bonnie did this and i would put piddle pads under her rump at night..You may try glucosemine for her wobbly rear end..plus I used to give an 80mg. asprin everyday for her arthritis..

My 12 year old Coffee was having issues with hind end weakness and shaking after exercise, as well as a slight dragging of his right hind foot. No incontinence. We did a course of acupuncture. It was 4 treatments, and it really helped. His last treatment was in April, and he's just now starting to show a little weakness again. I'll definitely take him back for another treatment. The acupuncturist said he may need treatments from time to time to keep him on track. She also mentioned herbs, although we didn't discuss it at length so I don't know what herbs they might be.

My now 10 year old Erika has been on Proin for spay incontinence for about 7 years. She's never shown any ill effects.

Guest Greensleeves

I second the recommendation to rule out lumbosacral stenosis. It's common enough in greys that this should be one of the first things considered with age-related hind end weakness.

Guest greygirls2
I second the recommendation to rule out lumbosacral stenosis. It's common enough in greys that this should be one of the first things considered with age-related hind end weakness.

Cali will be going in next week for a senior check up and blood panels. While I don't think this is lumbrsacral I will certainly have that checked out. She doesn't show any signs of pain in that area at all. She just gets the "shakies" every so often. She has had one episode years back of neck pain that turned out to be calcifications on x-ray. Just that one time though and I had switched from walking her on a harness to ujust a collar & leash due to a surgical scar that was in the area the harness would hit on her side. The vet felt then that the stress on her neck from leash & collar walking is what sparked that. She's been fine since and that was 6 years ago. I do have the little panties for her but she's really upset about the occasional leak and I'm trying not to embarrass her more with the panties until I absolutely have to. I do have waterproof coverings on the places she sleeps since that is the only time she experiences a leaking episode. So if she gets up damp I just lovingly wipe her down while telling her it's not a big deal so I can sooth her bruised ego. I'm still looking for a holistic approach to all of this and so far the Australian one seems to be the best so I may end up haveing to give in and just pay the high shipping fees for ir. As for accupuncture.....I have heard that can do wonders but I haven't come across anyone that does it out here yet, I will see if my vet has any recommendations.

Guest greygirls2

An Update.....................................Unfortunately Cali had an incident last weekend where she either lost her balance or tripped on something resulting in a dislocated toe! She is now in a splint and cast and will be for the next two weeks. On the upside the vet did s a full senior evaluation and blood panels while she was there getting the toe repaird and everything came out great! The exam reveals that she does not have lubrosacral stenosis either so that was a relief.....looks like the occasional shakiness in the legs is just age related so I need to watch the amount of hard exercise she gets. She had just been out running in the fiels earlier on Sat. and at the last minute just when we were getting the dogs ready to leave Cali decided to goad the bopys into a race. Mind you she will be 12 in Sept. and JJ & Alyx both just tirned 2......Cali was WAY ahead and the boys were falling further and further behind! I was speechless because I knew she was overdoing it but there was no stopping her and no sign she was even going to try this stunt. I think her fatigue after all that definitely contributed to her injury laster in the day so she will be restriscted from now on at the field. She had been in the sperate enclosure the whole time we were there, it was when we were getting the dogs ready to leave and I took her out into the other end that she decided to pull this. However the look on her face..the huge grin while the boys were eating her dust was priceless!

For anyone interested..............

Some of the answers I've gotten on the rear weakness and incontinence are......accupuncture, chiropratic for the weakness, oh and glucosamine which she is already on. Primrose oil seems to be the popular choice for the incontinence along with the Proin which I am trying to stay away from. So thanks so much to everyone who answered my questions.

Guest minzenon

Human sinus tablets containing Psudeoephedrine (sp) My vet recommeded it for Shae he is almost 12 and was having the same problem, totally relaxing in his sleep and having an accident. The tablets worked a treat, 1 tablet morning and night for up to 5 days but we didnt need to go the full distance, after 3 days he stopped having accidents at night and we reduced the dose to 1 a day for the next 2 days and that was it. That was 3-4 months ago and Shae hadnt had another accident up until 3 days ago, so I rang the vet and he said to put him back on the tablets - Shae has had just one a day for 2 days and didnt have an accident last night. These tablets work on the central nervous system,which inturn sends signals to the bladder. My vet said they have been having great success with this treatment in younger dogs with spay incontinence and hoped it would worked for an older dog. It certainly has worked plus they are cheap to buy with no side effects, my vet said it is possible to keep them on a low dose such as half a tablet a day, but for Shae we havent needed to do that. Try it, Shae has had great results with it.

Fresh Factors and Joint Health may help Cali a whole lot. They are available from Springtime http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/88/2

PPA for incontinence works very well and sometimes all it takes is a real low dose. My girl Maggie was on PPA for incontinence for 5 or 6 years with no problems.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest minzenon

I have the correct spelling Pseudoephedrine -is the active ingredient - just make sure that the tablets contain this as some sinus tablets wont have it in. and they cost me $10.95.