Pressure Sore

missy has a pressure sore on the side of her foot--from a bandage put on by the vet techs for stitches on the bottom of her foot....vet gave me neo-pred powder for the "healing" stitches. this open sore is small and round. would I be better of putting bacitracin, nu-skin, or just the neo pred? I am fed up with the vet office over this injury. thank you.

Guest sheila

if the wound it bothering her I might try Neo-sporin + pain relief. If it's not causing any distress I would just leave it alone

In my experience, these are almost unavoidable with bandaging. I would put a little bit of that neosporin w/pain relief on it, and keep it loosely covered with a baby sock, so it gets air but she leaves it alone.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I wouldn't use the Nu-Skin. Not only does it sting like blazes (I know, I've tried it on myself, OUCH!), but mine have licked it right off, making the wound even worse. :( The powder might work if she's not a licker.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest VelvetEars

I'm swearing by aloe gel mixed with lavender Essential Oil. It is healing Jane's booboos from her staggering around and dragging her feet, and she's not licking at it. I bought a bottle of aloe at Walmart - filled up a 2oz opaque travel bottle about 2/3 full with the aloe and added about 15 drops of lavender, and shook it to mix. The aloe, obviously heals, and lavender is a natural antiseptic, antibiotic, and anti-inflammatory. (The combo is also great for after-sun care.)

Guest LynnM

Don't be too hard on the vet staff for it.... these things happen, especially if the bandage isn't changed often or the dog is too active on the bandaged area. Sometimes they just happen. It will heal.

If it's small (sounds like it is), nothing more than cool water a couple of times per day (I'm talking about the hose... nothing fancy) is plenty. Neosporin or other petroleom jelly based ointments seem to taste good and encourage licking. For larger sores, scrapes, cuts, etc, I like Cut Heal. For smaller ones, EMT Gel works very well.

Lynn

Guest GiJenn51

Just do saline (water and salt (VERY small amount of salt)) and Neosporin--- It's what has worked on these pressure wounds----

DSC00779.jpg

DSC00780.jpg