Question About Dentals

We've had Mr. Skorch for a month. He had a clean bill of health, but he has one extremely long toenail. The vet casually said that he would be able to cut the toenail back if we decide to have a dental. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I've checked his teeth, and they are beautiful except for one on the lower side that is covered with white tartar. None of his teeth have brown stains.

Has anyone ever had just one tooth cleaned. Can the vet do this without putting him under?

I will ask the vet the next time Mr. Skorch goes in, but just curious.

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Guest Tenderhearts

Well, I don't have any personal experience with cleaning a single tooth in one of my dogs, but I do know the teeth can be cleaned somewhat without a complete dental.

We had an elderly Aussie who used to board occasionally when I worked for my vet. She wasn't well enough in her later years for anesthesia and a full dental, but my vet offered to clean what he could sans anesthesia during one of her boarding stints. He basically scraped what he could with his instrument while I held her. She was very good about the whole thing. It did make a difference in her teeth/breath :)

Didn't he have a dental before you adopted him? Our group includes a dental.

Can you take him to the groomer to get his nail cut?

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

If he's pretty calm, the vet should be able to scale that tooth without putting him under.

As for the toenail, if you/groomer/vet just clips it back as far as possible without quicking him ... and then, every day or at most every other day you take it right back down to the quick with a dremel or nail file ... the quick will start to recede. It takes 2-3 weeks to start seeing results and you can't skip days, but it works. Eventually the quick will come back to a reasonable point and you/groomer/vet will be able to cut that nail to an appropriate length.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Didn't he have a dental before you adopted him? Our group includes a dental.

Can you take him to the groomer to get his nail cut?

No, Mr. Skorch did not have a dental before I adopted him. He was a return. There was no adoption fee; just a donation for him.

The vet trimmed what he could, but his one nail is about an inch long. It sticks out straight, doesn't curl, and the toe next to the long one has no nail at all.

If he's pretty calm, the vet should be able to scale that tooth without putting him under.

As for the toenail, if you/groomer/vet just clips it back as far as possible without quicking him ... and then, every day or at most every other day you take it right back down to the quick with a dremel or nail file ... the quick will start to recede. It takes 2-3 weeks to start seeing results and you can't skip days, but it works. Eventually the quick will come back to a reasonable point and you/groomer/vet will be able to cut that nail to an appropriate length.

Good luck!

Thanks, Jey...

Mr. Skorch needs to go back in for a lyme booster. I'll talk with the vet at that time.

His toe nail is totally black and you can't see the quick. To top it off, the nail is straight and doesn't have that little curve to it. I just don't want to hurt him. All of his other toenails are fine.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Have you tried brushing them yourself?

I have been surprised at how well the enzymatic cleaners work; "Petrodent" has proven to be quite effective. Discard the brush it comes with, and use a soft human toothbrush to get in there. It should improve after just a couple of applications. If not, then the vet can do a better job.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I would try a dremel on that toenail. The thing with cutting it back while under is that they would essentially be quicking him and then stopping the bleeding - his foot may be sore for a bit afterwards. Not the most terrible thing in the world, but personally I would try shortening it on my own first. General anesthesia is not without risk, so I wouldn't take putting him under lightly - right now it sounds like he doesn't really need it.