Poor Troublina

Guest GiJenn51

Guest GiJenn51

She can't even sleep. She keeps getting up and scratching everywhere. I put some flea and tick stuff on her, gave her two fish oil capsules. I'm ready to give her a Benedryl soon. She's been really antsy and comes to me to give her scritches constantly.

Any other ideas???

You think it might be the climate change? She's maybe in AC more now, drying her skin out?

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest savvyprchick

Lulu started doing that and I found a rash on her belly... I started monitoring it and figured out it happened a couple hours after feeding her chicken-flavored kibble. She'd never had a problem with it before, but I switched her to a salmon kibble and she's been fine ever since. So no more chicken for my pups.

Maybe Troublina is developing an allergy? :dunno

Guest tricolorhounds

Benedryl makes a spray too. We use it for Felicity who every summer itches until she rubs all the hair of her back above her tail. When she is really itchy, we ask her if she wants her butt spray? She runs to the kitchen and then turns around waiting... So it must make it feel a lot better.

Join the club. Mizzy is having fun. I have found kibble does directly affect her itching. Got it to the point where she was not scratching too bad then tried EVO reduced fat--horrible quick. I've been giving her benedryl twice a day and there was a 3-4 day period where she got pred to break the cycle. And, back to SG Mmellenia for her!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest meandmygreys
Butt-spray. :rotfl:

Is that the scented or unscented butt spray !!

I may try that..Justy itches his butt too !!

Both my girls are doing it too. I think it is the change in weather. Nala could be the deskunk bath. I did the flea and tick medicine too just in case I am missing one on the black fur ball. :)

I hope Trouble feels better soon. Maybe it will settle down after the flea and tick medicine takes care of that and she gets used to her new climate.

The Girls

Guest SillyDog

I'd give her some sort of antihistamine and see if it helps.

I once house sat for a portly Dachshund with a severe grass allergy. She got Tavist daily and I had to walk her only on the driveway & road. Poor girl!

Guest Hannah

hugs for troublina :grouphug

if you have gone somewhere significantly warmer she could be having another moult and is itching all that fur out - and we all know they shed about 10x more fur than they have :blink: a good scrub in the bath might help (after the time limit on the flea stuff)

hope the itchies go away soon

Guest FireHorse

Welcome to the club-my guys were doing the same thing. The back of poor Luke's ears were red and sore from him scratching, and Jet was constatly nibbling on his tail/butt.

This is what worked for us: Baths all around, to start with, and the final rinse was with water with a lot of colloidal oatmeal in it. Then I gave them each 50mgs of vistaryl (a benedryl cousin) every 12 hours for two days. Somewhere in there they were also due for their monthly Advantix, so they got that too. But the combination of the bath, oatmeal and meds seems to have done the trick-neither are scratching miserably any more.

If you don't want to do a full-out bath, you can just rinse her down with the oatmeal mixture-it doesn't have to be rinsed off. Good luck!

Butt-spray. :rotfl:

Is that the scented or unscented butt spray !!

I may try that..Justy itches his butt too !!

Scented. It smells like butt :lol

I hope Troublina settles down soon. That can't feel very good :( I hope Mizzy is anti-itch very soon as well.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

She can't even sleep. She keeps getting up and scratching everywhere. I put some flea and tick stuff on her, gave her two fish oil capsules. I'm ready to give her a Benedryl soon. She's been really antsy and comes to me to give her scritches constantly.

Any other ideas???

How about a bath with doggie oatmeal shampoo. I just bought some for Red :)

Is she any better today?

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest Shermanator

Sherman used to have ridicuously dry skin, that he'd chew himself to open boo-boos.

We started giving him raw eggs on his breakfast (1 in the morning- he LOVES it,) and is skin is not as dry, anymore.

Guest greyhound1

Any other ideas???

[/quot I use the oatmeal bath. Brenda's towels are only washed with very little baby soap. Tide etc was drying all 3 of my dogs crazy. I do dry in dryer..not dryer sheets etc. Helped here. Just a thought. Then I give her a very good soft rub down all over. Dang I should be my dog. LOL.

We had a husky mix who had a terrible flea allergy as well. We would have to put her on prednisone by July - she would scratch and chew herself until she bled. But the pred worked...

I found a tick and a fla on her, so I'm hoping that is what it is.

Mizzy has a horrid flea allergy--one would drive her crazy! Hopefully that is it :)

Short grass helps keep the bugs down :P

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

I'm betting on the flea.

I have a horrid flea allergy, too. One bite and I'm miserable for weeks.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GiJenn51

Her skin is noticably worse today. It looks like a colony of bugs assaulted her. I'm betting its an allergy. I got some cortisone cream for her. Is that OK for dogs?????

Yes, you can use Cortaid or similar, don't want to overdo it tho. You can also give her 25mg Benadryl 2-3 times per day.

If you think it's an environmental allergy, can be a big help to hose her down once a day.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greensleeves

Poor baby.

Oatmeal can be an allergen, so I would recommend a PLAIN cool-water bath, or a bath with a medicated shampoo like Relief.

You may have to do it every day, although every other day worked best for Flint (he would get a day off where he didn't do the crazy zoomies/face-rubbing/foot-washing/butt-licking/head-tossing/fit-throwing post-bath ritual).

The bath helps in two ways:

1. It's soothing to the skin

2. It washes off any potential allergens before they can be inhaled/ingested.

Then follow up with the oral Benadryl to control Itch (itch-with-a-capital-I is what we've been calling the dreadful, allover inside/outside body itch you get with an allergy attack... where everything from your skin to the insides of your ears itch).

Once you get the overall symptoms under control, you can switch to daily wipedowns with a wet towel--clean sides of the towel only--every time she comes inside.

Good luck!