Daily Teeth Brushing

I've been working for a long time to get my dogs used to brushing their teeth. They never wanted me to do it and it was always a struggle. The past few weeks I've changed things around and now they love it! I brush their teeth every night and as soon as they see the toothbrushes come out they run to their beds, ready for brushing!

Here's the strategy that is working for me. I'd love to hear others' strategies to add to my repertoire :colgate

First, I bought toddler toothbrushes. They're Peanuts characters, to be precise. Don't know if that helps? :blink::lol

I'm using Enzadent from the vet and it works great and they LOVE the taste! I sit facing them and they are in the sphinx position. I put a tiny bit of paste on the toothbrush and brush the canines on one side, then let them lick the toothbrush. Then I do the same on the other side. Then I put a bit on the toothbrush and open up their lips on one side enough to get the toothbrush in there. I close their mouth gently with one hand while I brush their side teeth with the other, then let them lick the toothbrush. Then I do the other side. I don't clamp their mouths closed, just keep it closed enough so they aren't licking the toothbrush while I'm trying to brush. That has made the biggest difference as I no longer feel like they're trying to fight me while I brush. It seems to keep them calmer, too. Finally I put a dab of toothpaste on my finger for them to lick off. The whole process takes about a minute per dog.

Part of the difference is that they absolutely love the toothpaste! So much so that I have to be careful or the one not getting their teeth brushed might pilfer the tube :rolleyes:

I hope this helps somebody else that is struggling. I have to say that it's totally worth it. Shadow got his teeth cleaned in April and they are still pearly white (a miracle for him). Tori's teeth were getting bad, but they have improved tremendously over the last few weeks. I think the daily brushing and the enzyme toothpaste are working wonders.

Anyone else want to share their strategies?

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

I too use the toddler size brushes and a beef flavored enzyme tooth paste. I was not as creative as you in designing a fun way for the hounds to lick the paste. I did make a big mistake though. I had no idea that their teeth went so far back in the mouth. I was checking their pearly whites one day and was shocked to see I had been missing the back teeth. This year only one out of the three needed his teeth cleaned (and it was the back teeth that were the culprit). Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest whatahound

My two really don't mind brushing. I use a regular dog tooth brush and petzlife tooth gel.

http://www.petzlife.com/

A friend of mine has a GH, they are in the testimonial section and pet of the month. She has beautiful tefers. :colgate

Edited by whatahound

I too have finally gotten into the routine of daily brushing. It has made such a difference! My dogs' teeth sparkle now. (I also get the dogs' teeth cleaned by an anesthesia-free dentist, so we started w/ clean teeth. But I have no need to take them back to him since I've started brushing every day about 3 months ago.)

What did it for me was just making it one more thing that I have to do before I go to bed, no excuses. They are all used to it now and let me do it w/o problems. I use the CET Vanilla-Mint toothpaste. I absolutely LOVE this toothpaste as it leaves the dogs with minty fresh breath ALL the way until the next brushing. The dogs don't mind the taste either. Riley has a kids toothbrush (Scooby Doo) and the iggies use baby toothbrushes (Elmo and Big Bird). These seems to be good sizes for their mouths.

We also follow every brushing with chlorhexidine spray.

We're on week three of daily brushing and already it's made a huge difference in Athena and Cleo's teeth. Bella and Cole have sparkling white teeth but they both just had dentals.

We've made toothbrushing part of the after dinner routine. I ask "who wants their teeth brushed?" and three hounds run to the kitchen (Athena runs upstairs :lol ). Toothbrushing is followed by eagerly anticipated "special toothbrushing treat".

We use the CET poultry flavour toothpaste. A big hit!

I'd be interested to hear more about the chlorhexidine spray.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

I wasn't haviong much success with brushing, so I switch to CET Hextra chews. They're about $20 for a bag of 30 at the vets. The girls love them and they do a good job of keeping the tartar under control and their teeth clean. Just an alternative if brushing is problematic.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest minzenon

I use listerine (yep human stuff - vet recommended) 1 cup of water 2 teaspoons of listerine and use a cotton pad to dab and cleanse over teeth and gum margins - works a treat.

Guest Hannah

we use an enzyme toothpaste that you dont need to brush with (Logic).

it says on the instructions you can just put it on their paw for them to lick off :blink::lol

I squidge it into the groove between gums and lips and let the ensuing schlurp, lick, slobber work it around their teeth :lol

but it is a two person job. one to do the squidging on the chosen victim - the aim is to squidge more toothpaste than they manage to lick off my fingers :lol

the other person to hold the tube of toothpaste up high and try to fend off the other three critters from helping themselves to the fourth's toothpaste :lol

Holly and all three kitties love, love, love this toothpaste.

my bridge angel mono (kitty) was the one who turned it into a two person job, she spotted the unlidded tube, grabbed it and sucked out about half the contents before we realised :eek:lol:rolleyes:

it suggests doing it once a week on the tube but I do it as often as I am feeling brave - about twice per month - as it is an exhausting process. but since starting using it nobody has needed dentals :)